Scanner Antenna ? (Something Better Than A Scantenna Or A Diamond RH77CA ?) (SDS200)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hi,

Would be appreciative for any suggestions on this.
Antenna theory is probably about my weakest subject.

Have a Uniden SDS 200 which I enjoy a lot
now at my age (mid 80's).

Use it with a Scantenna up in the attic. Can't crawl around up there anymore, so not sure of model number ? ST- something perhaps ?

Can receive a lot of "stuff," but The RSSI is pretty poor at typically -110 dbm or so.

I am not particular in what I monitor; enjoy most anything that I can pick up.
Particularly interested, though, in Aero., Maritime, and Law Enforcement.

I tried an old Diamond RH 77 CA that I had from long, long, ago, but apparently
not too good on the Aero bands, which is a prime requirement for me.

Might anyone have any suggestions for an "all band" receive only ant. for my SDS 200 that
has a wider range than my old Diamond RHC77CA, and is pretty much the same length ?

Would be used in y Study, so really want the length to be not too much longer.

Any suggestions for a "better one" ?

Much thanks, appreciate ay thoughts on,
Bob

Wauk620

KD9PQM
Premium Subscriber
Any multi-band receive antenna is going to give you "average" reception over the range of frequencies it is designed for, so stronger reception will be determined by the location and strength of the transmitting source. You could check out 2 multi-band antennas at ScannerMaster.com that might meet your needs. SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and BNC | Scanner Master
Also check their site for the Watson 801. KD9PQM

WB9YBM

In general, the more surface area to an antenna (like a 5/8-wavelength compared to a 1/4-wave), the more area there is to capture a signal with and since a receiver's not as fussy as a transmitter when it comes to precise tuning, the rule of thumb I use is to get as much metal as possible up to capture as much signal as I can. You've got a good start by having your antenna in the attic instead of lower--you're further away from electrical noise (washing machines, car ignition, etc.).

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Is there any way you can mount an antenna out in the open and not in your attic? Even if you have to pay to have it done it will probably be worthwhile, especially if you can gain some height.

Can you tell us the frequencies of the things you are interested in?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
While the Diamond RH77CA is an excellent favorite VHF/UHF antenna for many of us, it can't receive signals that aren't there to begin with. As others suggested you might need an antenna at a higher altitude. You might try different internal filters available on the SDS200. Many have indicated they greatly improve VHF (aircraft) band!

Manual/settings/Global Auto Filter

You might have to try different ones to see what works best for you. If you're in the vicinity of a strong FM broadcast radio station you might need to buy an FM-Notch filter to install inline with your coax.

For maximum filtering you might want this one, but it may block other frequencies outside of VHF aircraft as well:

PAR VHFFBP

To just block FM broadcast stations chose this one:

VHF-FM

BOBRR

Hi all,

Thanks for thoughts and info.
Very appreciated.

Most of my time, it seems, is monitoring the Aero freq's around 118 MHz.
Enjoy these comms the most.

Regards,
Bob

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
DPD productions has some dedicated aviation antennas. Everything he makes I've heard is very good quality although not cheap,

I'm not sure how well the scantenna does at 118MHz, maybe others can chime in on that. Still though I think getting it out of your attic and up higher would be my first priority. Also you didn't mention what kind of coax you are using and how long the run is, that could possibly be a problem as well.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
DPD productions has some dedicated aviation antennas. Everything he makes I've heard is very good quality although not cheap,

I'm not sure how well the scantenna does at 118MHz, maybe others can chime in on that. Still though I think getting it out of your attic and up higher would be my first priority. Also you didn't mention what kind of coax you are using and how long the run is, that could possibly be a problem as well.

Dave (great guy) at DPD Productions sells the MilTenna Omni VHF/UHF base antenna for civilian/commercial & military aircraft bands and it's very high quality and would stand up for years in most any kind of storm. It performs very well. It's only 45" tall so it would fit in most attics if necessary.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
You might wish to consider a discone. One's that cover aviation band aren't too tall and in addition to my tower mounted antennas, I also have an attic discone.

bb911

My experience has been that there is an antenna better then the Diamond RH 77 CA. It's the Larsen Kulduckie 1/4 wave, 2m antenna. (Green cap). Mine is very old, but in excellent condition. Very pricey these days - $35 - 40.

Chris0516

Any multi-band receive antenna is going to give you "average" reception over the range of frequencies it is designed for, so stronger reception will be determined by the location and strength of the transmitting source. You could check out 2 multi-band antennas at ScannerMaster.com that might meet your needs. SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and BNC | Scanner Master
Also check their site for the Watson 801. KD9PQM
I just checked their website. The Watson 801 is not listed on ScannerMasters' website. I know which antenna you are talking about. Before I got my RH77CA. I had to decide between that, and the Watson 801. I got the RH77CA.

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
Have a Uniden SDS 200

Particularly interested, though, in Aero., Maritime, and Law Enforcement.

I tried an old Diamond RH 77 CA that I had from long, long, ago, b

Might anyone have any suggestions for an "all band" receive only ant. for my SDS 200 that
has a wider range than my old Diamond RHC77CA, and is pretty much the same length ?

It sounds like you want a back-of-set antenna, so that limits your options quite a bit and significantly impacts reception by being low and inside and probably near objects that can further degrade the reception. Wide-band antennas are not useful for improving reception over the stock telescopic antenna. If you haven't already done so, try using the stock telescopic antenna extended to about 2 feet, which is 1/4 wavelength at 118mhz.

I got a double-elbow antenna for my SDS200 so that the antenna can sit vertical the way I have it mounted. The antenna has a length chart for extending to the optimal length for the various bands. Still... try the stock antenna first at 2' before you spend any money.

Chris0516

It sounds like you want a back-of-set antenna, so that limits your options quite a bit and significantly impacts reception by being low and inside and probably near objects that can further degrade the reception. Wide-band antennas are not useful for improving reception over the stock telescopic antenna. If you haven't already done so, try using the stock telescopic antenna extended to about 2 feet, which is 1/4 wavelength at 118mhz. I got a double-elbow antenna for my SDS200 so that the antenna can sit vertical the way I have it mounted. The antenna has a length chart for extending to the optimal length for the various bands. Still... try the stock antenna first at 2' before you spend any money. View attachment 87813
Will a handheld(UBCD325p2) be good with this antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.