Scanner arrest in Floyd County

Status
Not open for further replies.

CQ

He's an i-diot for having the lights and stopping in the lane when it's illegal, in that state, to have an operational scanner in a motor vehicle. Just a wanna be...

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Indiana’s definition: "police radio" means a radio that is capable of sending or receiving signals transmitted on frequencies assigned by the Federal Communications Commission for police emergency purposes

So, whether scanner, baefong or Motorola it’s still a “police radio” if it has law enforcement frequencies programmed in it.

Jeff

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
FYI, the forum software will generally not let you delete your own post after a certain amount of time and after someone has replied to the post.

If you find that you have inadvertently created a duplicate post, report the post and one of the moderators can deal with the duplicate.

ind224

Police radio

Yes, the statute is clear Indiana defines a police radio as such. The legitimate work around is get an amateur license or make your vehicle your workplace.The clandestine option is don't get caught. Back in '95 I had a Pro 43 taken and got a ticket for it. Since the Feds regulate radio guess what? Got the scanner back and the ticket went away. I think I still have the physical ticket somewhere.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Yes, the statute is clear Indiana defines a police radio as such. The legitimate work around is get an amateur license or make your vehicle your workplace.The clandestine option is don't get caught. Back in '95 I had a Pro 43 taken and got a ticket for it. Since the Feds regulate radio guess what? Got the scanner back and the ticket went away. I think I still have the physical ticket somewhere.

How much do "the Feds" regulate receivers?

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
While the feds do regulate receivers to some extent, the key here would be Indiana’s state law, which does give an “exemption” to those with an amateur radio license. I’m thinking there are some states that either don’t have that exemption or require immediate confiscation, I’d have to look it up though because I don’t remember the details.

Now, regarding guy in the story, he appears to have done several things wrong, with the “police radio” just being one of them.

Jeff.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I think federal involvement in receivers is minimal. There are other states that prohibit scanners and have for years with no interference. Radar detectors are the same way. It's a receiver and some states prohibit them also but most don't.. It's the state's choice. But you're right, Jeff. It's the state law's misguided attempt at public safety.

The feds certainly get involved in some things that are reserved for the states, however: seat belts and BAC content, for instance. The feds suggests these things and then coerce the states to adopt them by potentially withholding federal funds. Those two items are both good, however.

Fortunately, with an amateur license, I don't have a scanner problem.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Any device which is a potential emitter of RF energy should be FCC certified as a Part 15 device. Most receivers use super-heterodyne techniques to decode the signal and super-hets emit RF.

Any "scanning receiver" falls under the FCC Part 15 restrictions for those types of devices. For example, scanning receivers are not allowed to receive frequencies in the old 800 MHz cellular telephone bands. Yes, analog cell phone service has been turned off in the U.S., but the law prohibiting cell phone reception is still on the books.

So, to answer KK4JUG's question, the "feds" are very definitely involved with regulating radio receivers.

If anyone has any information as to whether or not this individual is still in jail or whether or not the county prosecutor has chosen to press charges, please let us know.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I cringe at stories like this. We the vast majority of scanner and / or radio owners dont do stupid stuff. But it takes one person like this to make the cops not like us.

Dallas PD had one over the weekend. Officers advised there was a guy driving around filming calls and using his scanner to show up to active scenes.

bfperez

Premium Subscriber
I really can't stand these people. I liked the Mercury Marauder/Lincoln Town Car - roomy, full frame, good towing capacity, massive trunks, seating for 6 (Town Car at least), powerful enough, etc. BUT the whole wannabe cop car people killed it for me, sort of how ricer culture killed any desire I had for a 1999 Civic Si when they made a comeback in 1999.

SCPD

QRT
We got a guy a county over, who had become a dispatcher however has no duties or authority outside his shift. Authority loosely on the job any how, with every personal vehicle decked with radios, scanners and a crown vic with more led lights then the state police unmarkeds. These type of things make me cringe. He must have alone 20 grand invested in a crown vic. Nothings been said but whacker status screams very loud. I guess it isn't too bad as 2 other dispatchers use social media profiles to claim they are law enforcement acting the part.

So much for backgrounds. To my understanding one got the other 2 in and the background was waived on good faith. 2 uncertified touching ncic. One pending lawsuit on some stuff with the one causing issues with that entity. Scary.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Here in IN they have also been pushing for LEA to POP yo butt for scanner apps on yo phone also. Its still being worked on by many County DA etc,... And if it gets on the books, it will expand the standing law so you an be ticketed/arrested for having the app active if an LEO is in your presence at say an Seat Belt/DUI check point etc... With the idiot in question, he was already in hot doo doo for (impersonation of an LEO) aka WHACKING with his DA self,.. So the scanner or whatever form of radio added to things. In several other states, he would get popped for possession of scanner in commission of another crime anyway.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Years ago I was with my brother and we were traveling in Indiana. We had pulled off the interstate to get some breakfast. There was an accident scene at the bottom of the off ramp. Later my brother said the cop gave us a dirty look. All I had at the time was a ham HT connected to a magnet mount. I didn't know about the scanner prohibition, but we were from out of state. so I won't have known about it like you do now.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Years ago I was with my brother and we were traveling in Indiana. We had pulled off the interstate to get some breakfast. There was an accident scene at the bottom of the off ramp. Later my brother said the cop gave us a dirty look. All I had at the time was a ham HT connected to a magnet mount. I didn't know about the scanner prohibition, but we were from out of state. so I won't have known about it like you do now.

And all the LEO could do was look... You were fully legal with an Ham radio and lic. Still are by current law. In fact, you could have had a scanner or ten with that lic lol.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Folks, this incident occurred over a month ago. It's no longer a recent incident or "breaking news". If you would like to discuss Indiana's scanner law, the regular Indiana forum is the place for your discussion. This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.