Scanner Audio Output to USB on Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobFam

I have a hearing loss. Is there a way to connect the scanner radio audio 3.5mm output to my computer USB ports? I see there are USB to audio output adapters but I want to go the other way, if it's possible. I do not have an audio card on my computer.

I have a BCD436HP scanner.

Thanks, Bob.

air-scan

I have a hearing loss. Is there a way to connect the scanner radio audio 3.5mm output to my computer USB ports? I see there are USB to audio output adapters but I want to go the other way, if it's possible. I do not have an audio card on my computer.

I have a BCD436HP scanner.

Thanks, Bob.

USB hubs aren't designed for direct audio connections. They are "data inputs and outputs" per se. They won't process scanner audio directly. They must have a USB audio adaptor. There are some on Amazon that have a line/in and speaker output.

BobFam

Thanks. I have looked at Amazon and did not find anything. You say line/in and speaker output. Do you have an exact example that will work? I want to connect my scanner audio in and get USB out. Bob.

air-scan

Thanks. I have looked at Amazon and did not find anything. You say line/in and speaker output. Do you have an exact example that will work? I want to connect my scanner audio in and get USB out. Bob.
It would be okay to think of line input as the same thing as auxiliary input on a stereo system.

Option 1
I found a sound card reasonably priced that has a line input and speaker outputs. It has multiple outputs for a 7.1 surround sound speaker arrangement but that isn't mandatory you can plug in your speakers to the 3.5mm jack labeled "Front" will work. It connects to the USB port of your pc.

Option 2
From Behringer and costs a little bit more. Its a essentially a sound card with line inputs only. You can set your pc to "listen to this device" in it's recording properties to hear your scanner through your pc speakers. The only caveat is you will need a mono 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adaptor to fit your scanner

1/4 inch to 3.5mm adapter take your pick here Amazon.com : 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adapter

Behringer is a respected specialty audio peripheral maker.

Those are fast sellers.

Last edited:

BobFam

Thanks. That's like all the devices I have found. I want to connect my BCD436HP headphone jack which is analog audio and be able to play it thru my computer to my USB headset. Bob.

air-scan

Thanks. That's like all the devices I have found. I want to connect my BCD436HP headphone jack which is analog audio and be able to play it thru my computer to my USB headset. Bob.
The Behringer adapter will do it best.
The VALinks adapter will do the same.

Let me bring up an analogy. Connecting an antenna to a USB port won't get radio reception. It won't do anything. That's why we have SDR devices like RTL-SDR, Airspy, SDRPlay RSP's and so on. Just like audio from a scanner. These USB audio peripherals I pointed you to serves only 1 purpose and that purpose is to convert analogue signals to a language a pc understands. What's inside is a ADC or Analogue to Digital converter. IT make analogue signals understandable to a pc then the pc using software with a user interface can reconvert it back to analogue to the speakers using a DAC or Digital to Analogue converter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.