Scanner available - Home Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonk

Feed Provider
Okay fellow Ohio Scanner folks ....... I have an opportunity that I would like to capitalize on.

We have a request for an Online Scanner Feed covering a few of the counties that are currently not covered. The person requesting this is willing to provide the scanner to broadcast the feed. I just need to match them up with a computer that is connected to the Internet. If you live near one of the following counties and would like to learn more please PM me .....

Ross, Hocking, Athens

Thanks in advance ... Also here is a link to our current Coverage Area ..... it needs updated with 3 or 4 new counties that have come online in the past month or so.

http://www.miamivalleybreakingnews.com/coverage.pdf

Happy Listening .....

Jason Kinley
MVBN

http://www.scanmiamivalley.com

jasonk

Feed Provider
Surely there is another Ohioan out there that would like the rest of us to be able to listen to their local traffic. You only need to provide the Internet Connection ....We'll take care of the rest.

Come on - Ross, Athens, Adams, Brown, Hocking, Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Lake Counties ...

Conatct6 me if you have any interest ...

Jason

hoser147

Attn: Ross,hocking, Athens Co. Ohio

jasonk said:
Okay fellow Ohio Scanner folks ....... I have an opportunity that I would like to capitalize on.

We have a request for an Online Scanner Feed covering a few of the counties that are currently not covered. The person requesting this is willing to provide the scanner to broadcast the feed. I just need to match them up with a computer that is connected to the Internet. If you live near one of the following counties and would like to learn more please PM me .....

Ross, Hocking, Athens

Thanks in advance ... Also here is a link to our current Coverage Area ..... it needs updated with 3 or 4 new counties that have come online in the past month or so.

http://www.miamivalleybreakingnews.com/coverage.pdf

Happy Listening .....

Jason Kinley
MVBN

http://www.scanmiamivalley.com
Cant hardly believe that we dont have any scannist in these area's that would want a scanner for their area, Its easy to setup and really doesnt take any bandwidth from your computer or any constant Attention to have or maintain the setup. Contact Jason........Hoser

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
jasonk said:
Surely there is another Ohioan out there that would like the rest of us to be able to listen to their local traffic. You only need to provide the Internet Connection ....We'll take care of the rest.

Come on - Ross, Athens, Adams, Brown, Hocking, Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Lake Counties ...

hoser147 said:
Cant hardly believe that we dont have any scannist in these area's that would want a scanner for their area, Its easy to setup and really doesnt take any bandwidth from your computer or any constant Attention to have or maintain the setup. Contact Jason........Hoser
Something to keep in mind... with the exception of the last three, these counties are very rural, relatively lightly populated and have higher unemployment rates than other areas, so there isn't always a whole lot of extra income for internet service other than inexpensive dial-up (if even that), especially with gasoline prices climbing the way they are; plus, high-speed internet isn't too common outside the larger towns like Athens, Chillicothe, Logan and Nelsonville.

Assuming you can find folks with the internet connections, you're also going to need at least two more people to cover these areas; Adams and Brown counties are pretty far away, in scanner terms, from Athens, Hocking and Ross counties. Plus, they're all *really* hilly, thus limiting the coverage the average scanner installation is going to give you.

There just may not be anyone available with A) the coverage you want, B) the high-speed internet connection you need, and C) the interest.

jpryor

With Toledo/Lucas having gone digital, I've got 4-6 scanners that I'm going to be clearing out in the coming month or so. All can do VHF/UHF and a few will do 800 MHz analog trunking. If there are more folks looking for an extra scanner to host a feed at Scan Miami Valley in one of the less covered areas, let me know. Otherwise I'll be putting this equipment up for sale.

hoser147

It sure would be great if we could get the whole state covered, not that far off from doing it...sometimes those molehills turn into mountains............

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
wa8pyr said:
Something to keep in mind... with the exception of the last three, these counties are very rural, relatively lightly populated and have higher unemployment rates than other areas, so there isn't always a whole lot of extra income for internet service other than inexpensive dial-up (if even that), especially with gasoline prices climbing the way they are; plus, high-speed internet isn't too common outside the larger towns like Athens, Chillicothe, Logan and Nelsonville.

Assuming you can find folks with the internet connections, you're also going to need at least two more people to cover these areas; Adams and Brown counties are pretty far away, in scanner terms, from Athens, Hocking and Ross counties. Plus, they're all *really* hilly, thus limiting the coverage the average scanner installation is going to give you.

There just may not be anyone available with A) the coverage you want, B) the high-speed internet connection you need, and C) the interest.

Tom is correct. Adams and Brown counties are very sparsely populated, thus finding hobbyists among what few people there are out there very unlikely. Either satelite or expensive dial up for an internet connection, just doesn't add up. Not to mention that scanner traffic in those rural areas are certainly not what it is in the populated areas of the Buckeye State.
I wouldn't even be able to compare to everything I can hear from my QTH on the Montgomery-Warrren County Line.

Back in 1990 I drove all over those two counties posting All Ohio Scanner Club applications on store bulletin boards hoping to drum up some members for my column coverage area. No dice! For the 20 years I have been writing the Southwestern Ohio column, I have never had a contact nor received anything from those counties. On occassion when the wind blows right I can receive some scanner traffic from that region, but that is about it. The bottom line: finding a hobbyist in these areas willing to host a feed is akin to finding a needle in a haystack.

hoser147

Thanks for your input, but your not going to find that needle if your not actively looking. It might take years to come about but then again ya never know. The offer is out there........

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
hoser147 said:
Thanks for your input, but your not going to find that needle if your not actively looking. It might take years to come about but then again ya never know. The offer is out there........

That is true, but my point is, its going to take more effort than this lonely forum to find someone in those areas willing to host.

hoser147

radioscan said:
That is true, but my point is, its going to take more effort than this lonely forum to find someone in those areas willing to host.

That has been very evident. But its well worth the try. Jason and others have done a great job of making up the Ohio Online Scanner Project. In time it will hopefully fill in. Who ever thought in the early days of scanning, you would be able to find out about an incident in another area and be able to tune into it, let alone be free of charge. Im willing to bump the post around, here and there to help out...........Hoser

Sjinndoawi

And you wonder why The police are starting to go encrytied... dont you people think....not only will this be broadcasted to US but to the WORLD..If you really wanted to preserve your hobbie dont put it on ground were someone in power will find favor to take it away...I am from Toledo,Ohio and now live in south florida,WERE isnt much to scan now Because of this put it on the internet plus digital thing... As of this date there are a total of 20 agencies that are encrypited and 10 more that are going that way....USE YOUR HEAD...if you people keep it up then will not be anything left.....

Last edited by a moderator:

hoser147

Sjinndoawi said:
Because of this put it on the internet plus digital thing...

I dont believe Florida done it just because of the Internet thing. There are lots of other reasons, officer protection, 9-11, identity theft and the list goes on. As for the digital thing, its just technology just like the internet, cell phones, PDAs to name a few. No different than when agencies went to 800 or or trunked radio systems, you didn't keep your crystal scanner and expect to listen did ya? Ohio and other states have government agencies that provide feeds. BTW Toledo has an excellent feed. If you really want to argue about encryption there are plenty of threads on it. try your crappy uniformed arguments there, instead of trying to hijack another thread. Have a Nice Day...................Hoser

digitalanalog

Another thought......., Could i get a Collective list of all the area's being covered?
I was covering columbiana county, but have not been for some time, i will get that back up
and running if it's not being covered.

digitalanalog

hoser147 said:
I dont believe Florida done it just because of the Internet thing. There are lots of other reasons, officer protection, 9-11, identity theft and the list goes on. As for the digital thing, its just technology just like the internet, cell phones, PDAs to name a few. No different than when agencies went to 800 or or trunked radio systems, you didn't keep your crystal scanner and expect to listen did ya? Ohio and other states have government agencies that provide feeds. BTW Toledo has an excellent feed. If you really want to argue about encryption there are plenty of threads on it. try your crappy uniformed arguments there, instead of trying to hijack another thread. Have a Nice Day...................Hoser

Thank You..........

hoser147

WisconsinRailfan said:
If I lived in one of these counties I would do it, I really enjoy the Columbus Police Feed!
Sorry I can't help

Glad to hear you enjoy it, thats what it is all about. Maybe someday it will work out for ya. Our listeners whether its a subscriber, the media or just someone like yourself make it all worth while............Hoser

jasonk

Feed Provider
Take a look at the first message in this topic. I have a link for a coverage map ..... Looks like we have about 60-70% of ohio covered ......

Thanks

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.