Scanner base power supply- ok to leave plugged in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichF

New to scanning. This might be a dumb question, but something not covered in the manual. I was given a Pro-2052. I noticed the power supply stays warm even when the power has been off over night. Should the supply be unpluged from an outlet when not in use? Do they use much power even when unit is turned off?

Thanks!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
New to scanning. This might be a dumb question, but something not covered in the manual. I was given a Pro-2052. I noticed the power supply stays warm even when the power has been off over night. Should the supply be unpluged from an outlet when not in use? Do they use much power even when unit is turned off?

Thanks!

It's not normally a problem. Mine is on every day 24/7 but if you're worried then plug it into a surge strip and shut if off with the switch.A little heat is normal, The power drain is minimal contrary to what all green freaks are babbling.

n9zas

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
It's not normally a problem. Mine is on every day 24/7 but if you're worried then plug it into a surge strip and shut if off with the switch.A little heat is normal, The power drain is minimal contrary to what all green freaks are babbling.

n9zas

Zactly... With the monsters and little green men in my house, I can hardly get a word in edge wise.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Only problem I've ever had by unplugging a radio is with Unidens with the Bear Tracker feature. If unplugged for a long time, you will lose what state you have programmed to scan. Easy enough to restore though.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I always leave my scanners plugged into my surge strip plug,but I turn off the scanners at night and I only unplug the surge strip when lighting storms are in the area.

Last edited:

jackj

There is a neat little device that measures the power consumed by anything plugged into it. It's called a "Kill-O-Watt" and Amazon sells them for around $30. It will display the current draw in VA, or amps, the Power Factor of the load and power in watts. You can program in your cost per KWhr and it will figure your cost per hour, day, week, month or year. I have one and although I'm not sure the info has saved me anything, it is a nice gadget to have around.

rwier

......................... Mine is on every day 24/7 .................................................................. .............73, n9zas

An old 600, by my bed, only shuts down during a power failure. Turn'um on and leave'um on, they will run forever, lol.

thomast77

A little heat is ok that is created when ac is converted to dc. However I have had a wallwart get so hot it started melting. And it was not even in use at the time. Who know what would have happened if I was not at home to notice the burning plastic smell. You just never know. So the above recommendation of getting a good power strip with a switch is not a bad idea. And while you are at it get a good quality one with surge protection like an APC. Don't buy a cheap $10 walmart special. I paid about $40 for mine. It could save you from a closeby lightning strike caused surge. and while I am on the topic alot of people do not know that the Power company can install a Heavy Duty Surge Protector at the meter for a small fee. I lost a couple of tvs, Cordless phones and other appliances on a regular basis before I put APC Surge Protected Power strips on all TVS, Computers and the Meter Surge Protector.

Status
Not open for further replies.