Scanner choice for Houston and Cy-Fair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tungsten

Howdy All,

I'm looking to try scanning for the first time, so I'm brand new. I've been doing a lot of reading about it, particularly trying to decide which scanner should be my first purchase.

I live in the Cy-Fair district in NW Harris county, near SH 249 (Tomball Pkwy) and FM 1960, zip code 77069 if it helps. I work daily down in the Med Center in Hoston, zip code 77030.

My original interest was scanning police transmissions in my home area (Cy-Fair) but now that I've found out what all can be scanned, I'm amazed and would love to scan it all, including transmissions in Houston especially while I'm commuting.

From the FAQ I got the recommendation to ask folks in my area what sort of scanners they use and recommend, which makes great sense.

I've figured out I need at least a trunking scanner, and I think a handheld would be best for taking it on the road. Right now to me the two best choices seem to be the Uniden BC346XT or BCD396XT (digital). Because I am new to scanning and because of the cost I am leaning toward the non-digital BC346XT. From what I've read the only entity in my area which uses digital systems is the Texas DPS, so I'm thinking a digital system may be overkill. Of course I am sure that over time more and more transmissions will go digital, but I don't know how fast that is happening in my area and I'm considering that by the time I'd need to get a digital scanner there may be new encoding systems, trunking systems, etc. and the BCD396XT may be obsolete by then.

Another option is to purchase a used scanner, and there is a classified ad on this site offering a functional BCD396T for sale which is attractive to me since it is priced in between the new BC346XT and BCD396XT and is digital. However, the BCD396XT seems to have a lot of really big improvements over the BCD396T, but I don't know how much they would mean to someone new to scanning.

So what do you folks use? Are there many digital transmissions in Cy-Fair or around Houston? Do you have any recommendations for me?

Thanks very much in advance! I had no idea there was such an amazing community of radio scanning enthusiasts, but my uncle's a ham so I should have guessed based on the ham community.

By the way, I'm pretty technically inclined so I don't think that working with the technology will be much of a problem / barrirer for me.

Thanks again,

John

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
When I travel to Houston, I usually take my GRE PSR-500, although I am considering a BCD396XT. The PSR-500 allows me to store most of the channels that appear on the Harris County Regional Radio System's Downtown Houston tower (Site 001), which carries all of the traffic for Harris County. This site can be picked up all over Harris County and most definitely in Cy-Fair. However, I would not recommed entering in all of the 1370+ talkgroups in the system, only the 730 in Harris County.

Tungsten

Thank you very much!

Michael,

Thank you very much for your advice! I really appreciate it!

It is great to know how much I can get from that one site.

When I get a scanner I'll let you all know which one. When I figure out how to do it, I plan to try to verify the frequencies in the database and upload whatever else I find.

I've got to say, although I ran in to some frustrations initially, the folks I've met here are GREAT.

I'm a knife collector also, and the custom knife community is wonderful. When I first ran into this site I saw a lot of similarities and my gut instinct was that the scanner community was similar. I am really pleased to discover that it sure seems that way.

Take care, and thanks again!

John

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
You don't need a digital scanner yet. But the city of Houston is putting up a 700mhz system in the future that will be for hpd and hfd. So it would be wise to get a digital radio. Harris county has a digital trunked system that Montgomery county and walker county is on. I'm sure hcso will switch to it in the future too even though I can't give you a timeline. I use a psr-500 for monitering the northwest side of Harris county and it works great.

Tungsten

Thanks!

Scanfan03,

Thank you very much! That's extremely helpful. Currently I'm leaning toward a BCD396T or BCD396XT and looking at used units. Although there seems to be plenty of analog around here there is enough digital now and will be more in the future that I think a digital scanner is a good decision.

I can't wait until I understand all the lingo and technology!

Thanks again and take care,

John

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Scanfan03,

Thank you very much! That's extremely helpful. Currently I'm leaning toward a BCD396T or BCD396XT and looking at used units. Although there seems to be plenty of analog around here there is enough digital now and will be more in the future that I think a digital scanner is a good decision.

I can't wait until I understand all the lingo and technology!

Thanks again and take care,

John
John,
I think, long term, you'd be more satisfied with the 396XT as opposed to the 396T. The 396T does not do multi-site, which I think you'd find useful for either the analog system, or the newer P25 (digital) Harris County Regional Radio System. Also, the 396XT has a higher talkgroup limit (500) per system than the 396T, which has a limit of 200. You can, of course, create additional systems in either scanner, either for extra sites or for talkgroups over the system limitation. However, the multi-site capability of the 396XT would be a plus if you want to enter sites other than the downtown (001), or one near your home, without creating additional systems. Additionally, the XT has NAC capability, which is the best way to efficiently monitor agencies using digital (P25) on conventional frequencies, such as Texas DPS. The XT also has start-up configurations, where you can code certain systems to load, or not load, when the scanner is turned on by pressing a specific number key. The 396XT has a memory of 25,000 channels vs 6,000 for the 396T. You would not be likely to fill up the 396XT, though you could load several alternate startup configurations. Unless you duplicated a lot of systems because of the talkgroup limit and to cover extra sites, I doubt you'd come near to bumping the 6K limit for the 396T either.

For reference, the PSR500 (the Radio Shack Pro-106 is the same scanner, operationally & feature wise, the only differences are in front panel layout) will scan up to about 1800 objects at a time. It also has a multi-site capability (handled differently than the 396XT, but works well), and can utilize the NAC codes. The PSR500 has a feature called "v-scanner", whereby you can store additional sets of programming in the scanner. Only one can be in use at any time, but you can switch between v-scanner folders with a few keystrokes and only a couple minutes time. In your case, one use would be a "folder" for use in your home area, with the tower site, or sites, that you can receive from the area. A different "folder" could be for use at your work location. Perhaps a third set aside with frequencies, systems, talkgroups, etc, specific, for disaster use, or in case a large fire broke out in one of the refinery complexes, or whatever else might interest you. (For the 396XT, these would be individual startup configurations, to accomplish the same general thing.)

All three scanners, 396T, 396XT, and PSR500 (pro-106), are capable of handling the 700mhz band for the projected Houston system. The Harris Regional digital system has a couple of 700mhz sites now.

Tungsten

heigtx,

Thank you so much for your advice! That is exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping to get. You've convinced me I should get a Uniden 396XT or PSR500 (RS pro-106). From what I've read, everyone seems to think the Uniden 'XT' variants of their 'T' scanners are so much better that it is worth getting the 'XT' over a used 'T' version unless one finds an exceptional price on the 'T' versions.

I must confess that even though I've been aware that the PSR500 / pro-106 has very much the same functionality as the BCD396XT I've not given it too much consideration. From the limited number of comparative reviews I've read the PSR500 / pro-106 sounds like it is not a solidly built as the 396XT. From what I've read it is also larger than than the 396XT, and the 396XT supposedly is not as affected by interference as the PSR500 / pro-106. I'm guessing that my area (Houston metroplex) is more likely to have intereference problems than other areas, but the DFW metroplex must be similar. Do you notice any real difference between the two? I work in the Med Center, which is notorious for interference problems, but this may apply more to TV, cell phones, and wireless products than radio scanners.

Also, I am somewhat biased against Radio Shack. I have a great fondness for Tandy / Radio Shack, and I even spent an entire Summer's corn detassling profits on a Radio Shack Color Computer back in the old days. But that Color Computer, as much as I loved it (and I still have it!) had a lot of construction and engineering issues. I'll refrain from listing them here, but it seems like every device I've bought from Radio Shack has had similar problems. So when I found out that the PSR500 / pro-106 were basically identical Radio Shack products, some alarm bells went off. I could just see parts breaking loose on the inside of the housing, keys getting stuck, and the memory getting corrupted after an hour or so of continuous operation. Then when I read that they didn't seem as solidly built as the Uniden equivalents, I figured I was right.

Since you've got experience with both, would you please share your impressions of the relative construction quality and malfunction rates of these scanners?

Also, it sounds like the 396XT is easier to program and set up than the PSR500 / pro-106. Is this correct?

One reason I'm asking is it sounds like all that Radio Shack does is take a Japanese built scanner and put their name on it, so my previous experiences with Radio Shack devices may not apply at all.

Also I like the sound of the 'v-scanner' system; it sounds like an obvious and very useful extension of the technology. From your response it sounds like the 396XT can do something very similar, although it also sounds like it may be more difficult to accomplish with the 396XT.

Finally and most importantly, reading on this forum I've seen many folks who are very happy with the PSR500, including two who responded in this thread.

Thanks very much again, I hope I'm not excessively long-winded!

John

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
John,

To me, the 396 (T or XT) feels more solid than the PSR500. But remember that's a personal opinion, others may well disagree. I prefer the 396XT's 'feel' in my hand as well. The PSR500/Pro106 is larger than the 396 series. While the 396XT feels more solid, and several people have reported dropping theirs, with no apparent damage, I haven't seen a post stating that someone's PSR500 (or Pro106) fell apart after a small bump. Of course, you drop any piece of electronic equipment often enough, or far enough, and you eventually will break it.

If you're working in the med center, with interference on TV, cell phones, & other wireless products, that can & probably will affect your reception. When I first received my PSR500, I immediately put a Radio Shack 800mhz antenna on it, to pick up some of the more distant trunked systems in the metro area. At that time, I was carrying both the new 500, plus my older 396T, on my daily commute right through RF h*ll (this was before the 396XT was introduced). The 396T had the same 800mhz antenna. I began to notice that I was missing calls on the 500 that the 396 was getting. I rechecked my programming, which was correct, and came to the conclusion that the 500 was desensing due to overload (there were also some other posts to that same effect). Some people were using the attenuator to reduce the signal strength within the scanner, & getting better results. I elected to change back to the original antenna, which more or less had the same effect, and solved the issue for me.

If you drew a circle, with my house at the center, and a radius of about 6 blocks, you'd encompass at least 8 cell towers, most all of them multiples (several sets of antennas stacked on one tower). Widen that out to a mile and you're well on the way to twenty. There are other sources of interference as well, from Cedar Hill (home to most all the tv stations for this area, & a lot of other transmitters), Chalk Hill (paging transmitters), and downtown Dallas, where every tall building worth it's salt has a forest of antennas on it's roof. I suspect you have the same situation there.

Radio Shack does not actually build any of their scanners. They're manufactured either by Uniden or GRE. For the Pro106, Radio Shack specified a different front panel layout than GRE uses on the PSR500 they sell under their own name. GRE also includes both the PC interface cable, used for firmware updates & programming via a PC, as well as an ac adapter. Radio Shack charges extra for both. The PSR500 normally sells, new, for between $450 to 500, depending on the dealer. Radio Shack's "list" price for the Pro106 is $499.99. It quite often, including recently, goes on 'sale' for $399.99, and once was as cheap as $299 (if I remember correctly). They often run a sale right around Black Friday, sometimes with "Friends & Family" coupons also being released to people on their email list. That can be good for another 10 or 20% off. Note that periodic firmware updates come out for the PSR500 from GRE. Often, Radio Shack does not release them for the Pro106 for several weeks later.

The Uniden BCD396XT, new, is around $500, but comes with PC cable, ac adapter, and a set of rechargeable batteries.

I would not say that one scanner is harder to program than the other. There is a learning curve for either one, but once you get the hang of it, it all makes sense very quickly (at least it did to me). While any of these can be programmed via the keyboard, the best way is to use software. Not only is it much quicker to type in text tags on the computer keyboard, than use a scroll wheel to select letters one by one, you can also get a better grasp of how to set it up, especially if you've never used either type, by seeing how it appears on the display & comparing that to the database here. For the 500/106, there are three software packages at present: WIN500, PSREdit500, & ARC500. I have WIN500 & PSREdit500. Registration fee for either of those two is $35.00, for ARC500, I believe it's about $40. All three will let you download & run them for 30 days before you have to buy them or discontinue use. For the 396XT, there are currently three packages: ARC-XT (two versions, basic $39.95, or Pro, $69.95); ProScan ($50.00), and FreeScan (free). I'm currently using FreeScan.

For the 'v-scanner' of the PSR500 (just gonna refer to the one model, since they operate the same), you set up your programming, for whatever you want. Say, for around your house. Save that in a 'v-folder' (use #1 just as an example). Now, edit that programming, tweaking it for your work location. Maybe a different talkgroup mix, add another tower site, take out control channels for one that would be out of range, whatever. Save that to folder # 2. Now, make some more mods, maybe one tailored for emergency ops (hurricane, tornado, mass casualty incident, whatever). Save that in #3. Got to run to Austin? Set up the file for your trip & save it in another folder. ready to load.

For the 396XT, you use startup configurations. A system you want to listen to all the time? Don't give it a startup key. Listen to it only at home? Give it a 1. Only at work? Edit that system with a #2 key. See this, so I don't get too wordy.

Either scanner, BCD396XT or PSR500 (Pro106) will do what you want to do. For either scanner, I imagine you'll find one or more people in the area that can suggest more specific programming information than I can from 250 miles away. You may also be able to find someone who'll share a file for the area with you, giving you a jump start on programming whichever unit you buy.

Tungsten

heigtx,

Wow! Thank you so much! That is *exactly* the sort of advice I was looking for!

You are right; RF-wise I'm in the same boat. I haven't looked it up, but in my immediate home area I can think of 3-4 cell towers right off the bat, within a mile or two. I'm sure it is worse in the med center.

You really nailed (for me) the issues I've been wondering about regarding these scanners. As intimidating as they seem at first blush it sounds like they are as easy to use as they can be, given what they do.

I've decided the 396XT is the one for me. I'm going to see if I can find a used one. When I was first looking up information on scanners I saw the reviews for 'Freescan' and thought it sounded great. I think I'll have to give it a try.

Thank you again very, very much and thank you to all who helped me out!

I sure hope to be able to pass it on and contribute to the pool of knowlege.

John

Tungsten

Bought a used BCD396XT

Hi All,

Just thought I'd let you know that I decided to purchase a used Uniden BCD396XT. It is apparently on its way to me as I write this.

Many thanks to all who advised me, especially hiegtx! All your thoughtful and very kind advice made the choice much easier.

In summary, for an area with broadcasts using trunking and digital encoding, the two best handheld scanners seem to be the Uniden BCD396XT and the GRE PSR500 / Radio Shack Pro106. They have very similar specifications and price points. People seem to be very happy with both types.

On the Uniden side, the consensus seems to be that the XT models are worth the difference in price as compared to the T models.

Regarding trunking versus non-trunking, the consensus is in the Houston area that trunking is important.

Regarding digital versus analog only, there are still a number of analog systems currently but there are also a number of digital systems in the Houston area and it sounds like there will soon be more. So digital is not necessary at the moment, but it is desirable and in the future will probably be needed.

I guess a lot of this is pretty obvious to all but the least experienced enthusiasts. I thought I'd sum it up though in case someone else brand-new like me wanders in here wondering about scanners in the Houston area.

I can't wait to get started!

Thanks again,

John

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
If you need help programming your radio for Northwest Harris County (Like tower info, HCSO TGs and fire department info) shoot me a pm. I will be glad to help you out. Even though I can't give you a file to start out with becasue I don't have a 396, I will be more than happy to help you out with all of the different dispatch channels and what not.

Tungsten

Scanfan03,

Thank you so much for your offer of help! This forum is amazing! That information is incredibly valuable.

I will certainly be sending you a PM, probably after I get the scanner in my hands.

Thanks again!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.