Scanner choice Uniden /ICOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falconeye

Hi,

I am looking for a scanner. I wrote some on this forum because at the beginning, I was hesitating between IC-R20 and IC-r6 (successor of IC-R5). Yesterday, I read about the Uniden 3500 XLT. It is not continous scanning but seems not to bad.

What are your opinion about these 3 choices and which one will you take ? Is SSB/LSB useful for this kind of device ? ?

Thanks

mciupa

Hello Falconeye,welcome to RadioReference :)

I like the compact size of the IC R6 and the fact it only uses AA batteries which are readily available.The cost is a reasonable € 150.
Sidebands would be a bonus for monitoring HF and Amateur.
I see no database entries for Paris,France on RadioReference.
Here is a bandplan that you could start with French Radio Frequency Bands, later you might submit something to the database after confirmation. :cool:

Falconeye

Hi Mciupa,

Finally, I think I will tale the Uniden 3500XLT or the kenwood TH-F7, I am hesitating. Not easy to choose. I think having a keyboard is better :)

Thanks for the band Plan !!!!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you are trying to get an all-in-one device, you're likely to be disappointed, particularly living in Europe. Signals there tend to be quite strong on shortwave; so much so that overloading the radio is a real possibility. This really isn't unusual; most manufacturers of such wide banded handhelds cut corners to keep the production costs down, and unfortunately building a receive front end for high signal levels is one area where this happens.

You would do much better to get a dedicated receiver for receiving the shortwaves, and something else for higher frequencies. 73 Mike

Falconeye

And if you have to choose between the Uniden 3500XLT (called 396 in Us I think) and the Kenwood TH-F7, which one will you pick ? It's so hard to choose the first receiver :)

Status
Not open for further replies.