Scanner Code Number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krissy

Is their any one here from the Kings County area of NS and happen to have the
Mutual Aid number that the fire department use when they have a big fire.
if so I would love to have it! thanks :)

mciupa

Hi Krissy,welcome to RadioReference :)

Looks like you have to enter in the Aliant Trunk system for NS. Enter the freq's closest to your location.

Mutual Aid should show up in these talk groups

40080 Mutual Aid-1
40112 MA-2
40144 MA-3
40176 MA-4
40208 MA-5
40240 MA-6

hfxChris

Database Admin
Those are the Mutual Aid talkgroups, but they don't always use those. You'll also want to monitor the Emergency Operations talkgroups. These are also used by many fire departments for their day-to-day operations, so you may already have some of these programmed.

EO-C1 37840
EO-C2 37776
EO-C3 37744
EO-C4 37968
EO-E1 2256
EO-E2 2320
EO-E3 38128
EO-E4 2384
EO-P1 2352
EO-P2 2448
EO-W1 37872
EO-W2 37808
EO-W3 37936
EO-W4 37904
Other EMO talkgroups you'll want include just in case:
EMO ALERT 37360
EMO CENT 37424
EMO EAST 2224
EMO WEST 37456
EMO WKG 37392

Plus it's neat sometimes to monitor the two Community Services talkgroups, you'll hear the Red Cross on there, and with the recent forest fires this weekend (which I assume is why you're asking) they coordinated evacuations and shelters on these two talkgroups 6352 and 33360. Red Cross also has a dedicated talkgroup on 6384, but I don't think they use it in emergencies very often, because more users have access to the two Comm. Serv talkgroups.

And what lesson wouldn't be complete without telling you that, if it's something like a forest fire the Department of Natural Resources is going to be there as well, so you'll want to monitor their talkgroups too.
DNR Fire Control is on 32112, you'll hear some ops on that. I know for the fire in Porters Lake which I was monitoring all weekend they were primarily using the DNR talkgroup for their Musquodoboit office, so if you're in Kings I think you'll want to program the DNR talkgroups for Windsor (32848) and Truro (33744).

There, I think that's it. If I think of any more you'll need, I'll post again..or ask if you have any questions.

hfxChris

Database Admin
You might also want to have Shubie Radio programmed (32048), usually when they initially request to use a Mutual Aid talkgroup they do it through Shubie.. although you'll also hear a lot of other unrelated traffic on Shubie as they dispatch a lot of different provincial agencies and departments.

Krissy

alright soo these numbers would work for a old pro 63 radio shack scanner it can only hold
6 numbers it would need to be like example 154.890 ( thats the kentville police number.
so the mutual aid number would need to be like that it so I my scanner the only fire
departments I have are Canning, Kentville, New Minas, Wolfville, Windsor, Waterville,

hfxChris

Database Admin
No. The province uses what's called a trunked radio system, which would require you to buy a newer scanner to listen to, one capable of trunking. There are some conventional frequencies you'll be able to monitor in Kings County (I thought you said Hants before, which is why I mentioned Truro...)
Here's what I have for the towns you mentioned. Keep in mind I'm in Dartmouth, so I can't verify any of these:
Canning - 165.660
Kentville - 153.860
New Minas - 153.920
Wolfville - 154.430
Windsor - 151.460
Waterville - 159.525
Put those in, give it a try and see if you hit anything. You probably won't get anything right away, but let it sit for a few hours hopefully somebody will say something!

With the scanner you have, you will not be able to receive anything from my previous posts - mutual aid, EMO, DNR, etc. Hope that helps.

Krissy

Yes I have all those numbers on my scanner, I just don't have mutual aid number thats all.
so these new scanners you are able to hear fire departments and such? useing the same numbers

hfxChris

Database Admin
You should be able to hear them on those frequencies I gave you. You won't be able to monitor the mutual aid channels because they use a totally different system (trunking) which your radio doesn't support.

Krissy

ok so what is this trucking mean?? for scanners? like most of fire codes or six numbers theses
new scanner that have trucking on them are they 7 number codes and if so well it support six
numbers codes lol... I know all these questions.

hfxChris

Database Admin
Trunking is a completely different sort of system. In it's most basic form, instead of a large number of users each having a dedicated frequency, they all share a small amount of frequencies and a computer controls who uses which frequency and when using a dedicated data channel. As a result one single fire department could be jumping around from one frequency to another in the middle of a conversation, and without a newer scanner capable of decoding the data channel, you'll only hear bits and pieces of conversations from all sorts of users (fire, ambulance, Bob's delivery, Joe's towing, Alex's fuel trucks, Darryl's landscaping, etc) and never be able to actually follow any one user.

Krissy

I have one last question lol... those other scanner codes you gave me would be only good
for the halifax area? does any one know if their are any for the kings county so that I can
put it on my new scanner when I get it. ( the trunking)

hfxChris

Database Admin
The following frequencies are for your area:
Canning - 165.660
Kentville - 153.860
New Minas - 153.920
Wolfville - 154.430
Windsor - 151.460
Waterville - 159.525

All of the previous stuff from my first reply is province-wide and could be heard in any part of the province at any time. However, as I said your scanner will not be able to monitor those. Hope this helps.
Are you picking up a new scanner? If so, there's things you need to know.

First, you can find used scanners on ebay capable of trunking for as cheap as $70-100. However, there's a problem with those. Currently the provincial trunked system uses frequencies in the 800 MHz range. There's rumor the system is going to move to frequencies located in the 700 MHz range, and the majority of those used scanners on ebay cannot scan 700 MHz. Although the province hasn't made any announcement on when they're moving the system to 700, we know they've begun doing some testing, so a move could in theory happen anytime. Could be 6 months, could be a couple of years - or it could even be never. So if you want a scanner which is future proofed, you're going to pretty much have to buy a brand new on, and you're going to more than likely pay around $200. I would throw my support behind the GRE PSR-300 scanner, which supports 700 so you're good for any future changes.

Second, while the RCMP do use the provincial system, they are on digital channels, and to monitor the digital channels (and the RCMP) you need a digital scanner - so instead of paying $200 for a non-digital scanner, you would need to pay around $500 for a digital scanner. Not a cheap hobby, and I just want to make sure you're prepared.

So can you get away with a cheap $70 scanner on ebay? Sure. Try for a RadioShack Pro-95, or sometimes you can find a Pro-97 for cheap too. They're both good radios. But keep in mind if you go that route, if the province migrates their system to 700 MHz, you will no longer be able to monitor the system and will have to buy another new scanner.
Can you get away without buying a $500 digital scanner? Of course. In the Kings area, the only users who are on digital are the RCMP, so if you don't need to monitor the RCMP don't buy a digital scanner. Kentville I believe has its own police, but they don't use a digital system so you would be able to monitor them just fine without a digital radio. Some Department of Natural Resources (DNR) users are digital, specifically the enforcement people, but they rarely seem to talk about anything too interesting - all of the fire-related DNR communications are on non-digital channels, and that sounds like what you're more interested in listening to.

You also may want to read over some material on just what trunking is, because you'll need to have a rudimentary understanding to be able to program your scanner and figure out just how the system works from a listening perspective.
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking_Basics

I hope this is helpful to you, let me know if you need clarification or further advice.

Last edited:

Krissy

Hi yes I have those numbers but if any one needs them here are the numbers

Canning - 165.660
Kentville- 153.860
Kentville Police- 154.890
New Minas 152.405
Wolfville- 154.430
Waterville- 169.525
Windsor- 151.460

and Mutual aid number that I had does not seem to be right 153.830 thats what I had I know if that rings any belles for not lol..

I was looking at the pro 162 1000 channel triple trunking handheld radio scanner from radio shack don't know if thats any good or not
but thanks for your all your help :) also do you know any thing about cim plex and TMR? sometimes the fire departments from about here use that sometimes.

Last edited:

mciupa

I was looking at the pro 162 1000 channel triple trunking handheld radio scanner from radio shack :)
also do you know any thing about Simplex and TMR?
sometimes the fire departments here use that

The Pro 162 should do fine.:)

This is a link to TMR , the Nova Scotia/NB province wide system. Have a look at the freq's for the location(s) closest to you.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3627

Simplex is something you would want to have if you were very close to the action, otherwise you may not pick it up.

hfxChris

Database Admin
and Mutual aid number that I had does not seem to be right 153.830 thats what I had I know if that rings any belles for not lol..
153.83 is the province-wide fire mutual aid frequency, but in my experience I rarely see it used. Then again I'm in Dartmouth, and Halifax Regional Fire doesn't use that frequency.

also do you know any thing about cim plex and TMR? sometimes the fire departments from about here use that sometimes.
In addition to 153.83, there's also 866.8125, which is supposedly also a simplex channel used by volunteer fire departments. I've never heard anything on that before myself, but that doesn't mean anything. As mciupa said, you have to be pretty close to the scene to pick anything up on a simplex channel.
866.0125 and 866.5125 are a couple other simplex channels supposedly available to all public safety users on the TMR system, there's a slight chance you may hear something on those.

In addition you may want to monitor the following frequencies. These are not really simplex channels, but they are frequencies available to (in theory) all fire departments in the Kings county area, but I have no idea how much they actually get used.

tusker305

Krissy
Greetings from Ontario. Wanted to put in my 2cents worth. I just got the BCT 15 a few weeks ago and love it, I have family in Cape Breton and know a little about radio in NS. The BCT 15 will get what you want.
Radio World in Toronto $327.00 to my door, shipping took 1 day, great folks to deal with. If the province goes 700 Mhz then you will have it covered. Not to mention Military Air from Greenwood and Hfx, fishermen, farmers, coast guard, oh ya police fire and the mounties too. Just find an old lobster trap, you can sell it to some guy from Ontario for $300 ar an american for $500. LOL

t_pasha

Just noticed 154.49 being used with a encrypted(VGS-1) Kenwood Radio. Kentville and New Minas Area Taxi.. not sure which one. will update.

Status
Not open for further replies.