Scanner Code Of Ethics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Some professions follow a prescribed code of ethics. Today, I got to thinking about those who follow scanner activity, particularly more sensitive types of transmissions. I asked myself, "what governs the ethical behavior of those with said information?" How does one treat that information? I would like to hear your opinions on this matter.

Last edited:

cacherjoe

I have often thought of the same thing. I am just getting back into scanning, but back in the day, you could pick cell phones, cordless phones, etc. On top of that you are able to pick up some other things that most people wouldn't even think about.

My practice has always been not to scan "private" signals such as the cordless phones and baby monitors, etc. In addition to that I don't take part in or condone "ambulance chasing". I will go out of my way to not pass by the scene of an accident, fire, arrest, etc. I figure the emergency responders have enough to do without having to deal with extra people driving by rubber necking.

I would be all for some sort of a code statement. Although it would be a self governing thing, I think it would go a long way to keeping some of these things in the forefront of people's minds.

I'd help where I could.

Joe

K9WG

I take a different view. If it is being broadcast then it is fair game. I always thought the cell phone argument "we didn't know it was abel to be received" was bogas. If you don't want your "private" communications monitored then don't use a radio transmitter.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin

Exactly. Just because you can hear it on YOUR radio doesn't allow you to use it for personal gain. In the days of lawsuits, blogging, and media retractions are especially sensitive, like the 97' reaction.

Just look at how many hits (or times of overload) when Radioreference is mentioned in the media. -Give us dirty laundry, as Don Henley sings. :p

WAScanMan

One main code of conduct I live by is not blasting a scanner in public. In fact it's usually in a pocket with ear buds and a stubby antenna. I've read too many stories on here of people having issues with using scanners in public.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Full Moon Myth

Must be a full moon!

I am not quite sure I understand your "full moon" reference. But, since it was mentioned in the thread I started, I will have to submit that the hard data on this myth does not support the contention that moon cycles affect human behavior. There is no functional relationship between the two. But, since this is a bit askewed from my original post, I will say, "tell me more about your scanning ethics, if applicable.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Back In The Day Of Analog Unblocked Scanners

Exactly. Just because you can hear it on YOUR radio doesn't allow you to use it for personal gain. In the days of lawsuits, blogging, and media retractions are especially sensitive, like the 97' reaction.

Just look at how many hits (or times of overload) when Radioreference is mentioned in the media. -Give us dirty laundry, as Don Henley sings. :p

I appreciated your comment and thoroughly enjoyed re-reading the post about the politician in question.

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
I take a different view. If it is being broadcast then it is fair game. I always thought the cell phone argument "we didn't know it was abel to be received" was bogas. If you don't want your "private" communications monitored then don't use a radio transmitter.

Amen to that...

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Texas Prison 22 Years

I have to wonder if ensnared ever worked in public safety, I can attest from my years working on NYC EMS that the full moon brings out the worst in people. That along with Social Security checks and Welfare checks payment days.

Yes, I have fully experienced the so-called "full moon" phenomena. I have worked in clinical environments which have entailed:

a) correctional inpatient settings, psychiatric with frequent suicidal and self-injurious behavior, sometimes daily; b) correctional setting for offenders with intellectual impairment and adaptive behavior deficits; c) death row patients who have decompensated, requiring stabilization for subsequent date with needle; d) administrative segregation & super-max confinement; and e) tons of gang members attempting to escape from their unit of assignments by feigning mental illness; f) two state schools for the mentally retarded who have multi-developmental needs, including frequent seizure activity. I have worked with Huntington's chorea disease, Fragile X syndrome, autism, & Lesch-Nyhan syndrome.

And, I have entertained "anecdoctal" accounts of this full moon ca ca.

Now, I challenge you to find me one bona fide research article supporting your contention.

I respectfully diagree because you have not offered any evidence to support your contention.

Back to the ethical question, how do you feel the ethical behavior of scanner enthusiast. I would appreciate it if we could stay on the topic of this thread and not deviate. Since I started this thread, I am asking for your cooperation.

Last edited:

nd5y

Here are the federal laws that concern scanning

47 U.S.C. § 605
Title 47 United States Code Chapter 5 Subchapter 4 Sec. 605
(Communications Act of 1934)
United States Code: Title 47,605. Unauthorized publication or use of communications | LII / Legal Information Institute

18 U.S.C. §§ 2510, 2511, 2512
Title 18 United States Code Part I Chapter 119 Sec. 2510-2512
(WIRE AND ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS INTERCEPTION AND INTERCEPTION OF ORAL COMMUNICATIONS)
United States Code: Title 18,2510. Definitions | LII / Legal Information Institute

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

In response to ND5Y:

Laws are important and I believe in obeying them. Ethics, however, is broader in purpose. It is about right and wrong behavior, which can philosopically consider whether the laws in question are right. I don't want to start a debate about that. I'm just clarifying the definition of "ethics."

In response to the full moon discussion:

Some research does support the full moon effect, but the findings on both sides are at very low levels of statistical confidence.

Utah_Viper

In this day and age of social media one of my new rules is "Do not share unless officials do" what I mean by this is on site such as Facebook, and Twitter I will not post details that the authorities have not yet made public.

An Example: Hear on the scanner a major accident. EMS arrives and calls dispatch that it is a fatality. On Facebook the News page posts about there being a bad wreck. On that page, or any other online news articles I would not post that someone has died until the Police make that public.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
You responded to the full moon, comment so I responded to your response. I think we can pass on the government spending millions to prove or disprove the theory, my comment still stands from my personal experiences.
Scanner listeners run the gamut from those sitting back in an easy chair at home to buffing calls to the criminal element. You can have that sort of range of participants in any hobby. You cannot legislate ethics, nor would you want to too broad a subject for interpretation. Personal ethics comes from teaching at home, school, or religion and you cannot teach common sense. My main interpretation of ethics and common sense is "will what I do or not do hurt some one". That takes a conciouse effort on the part of the person.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Can the 'full moon' discussion move to a 'full moon' thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.