Scanner Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevmon

From South Dakota I don't expect much but I have loaded my scanner with frequencies and codes from here. I don't know what I am missing but a lot of the frequencies just show a MOT: code just being a number instead of a description. Am I missing something? I use Win96...
Thanks In Advance

TIA

teufler

what you are receiving are Talk group codes. Its Trunking, where the talk groups are sort of like frequencies in a non trunking system. Your scanner is in the search mode rather than the id mode. If you were in id mode, you should get an explanation of who is attached to the talk group. In search mode, any talk group that comes on line will show up.

FrankM

Premium Subscriber
Talkgroups

As mentioned above, you have to put in the Tower Sites and then Talkgroups for what you want to listen to, those are listed here in R R. If you have any questions feel free to get in touch with me here in Sioux Falls. I don't know a great deal about Trunking, but I have my scanner set up for the Sioux Falls area and the State radio and I get what I want. Frank

stevmon

Trunking and talk groups

Thanks for your replies. I think I get it now. I had programmed before for specific frequencies related to PD and Fire. That was a long time ago. I only occasionally use the scanner and wanted to add some frequencies for related to when we travel. I also wanted to update local frequencies.

But yeah, it kinda makes sense. I get a lot more traffic than I was and most of the time it is what I want. There are a couple of codes that I block so it is definitely an improvement and much easier to maintain. A large amount of the time I do see where specifically a broadcast is coming from. And when I don't I get it now.

I feel like I am using fewer banks in the newer model so I can include other locations (States/Areas) so that is a good thing.

Thanks again for the information.

BTW are the talk groups codes published anywhere or is that just sort of dynamic?

Do most Police and Fire across the country use the scan ranges that I have gotten from R R? ie can I use some of the other banks for different things?

Thanks.

FrankM

Premium Subscriber
Talk Groups

I get all my T G number from radio reference. They seem to be on the ball with them. Glad things are working better for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.