scanner control knob durability

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryradio

Premium Subscriber
My uniden 996p2 gets pretty heavy use... it gets turned on and off a few times a day and the volume gets adjusted alot.

Got me to thinking that this knob and control doesnt seem very robust. Maybe i should turn on and off from power strip instead.... that might not be good either though on the cpu.

Do i have a valid concern?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Do not use a power strip to turn the unit on and off. You can corrupt the memory. That won't necessarily brick the scanner, but require you to reprogram it.

Get an amplified computer speaker, and plug that into the headphone jack. Leave the scanner on, and adjust the volume with the external speaker knob. You'll solve both issues at once.

marksmith

I bought a 996 p2 about 2 years ago. It's basically never been turned off. I adjust the volume about once a month.

I don't think modern electronics are as susceptible to the shock of turning them on/off as they used to be, but there is still an impact. I would try to figure out why you are turning it on and off and adjusting the volume so much.

I think turning it off and on a lot, regardless of whether from the unit or a power strip, will reduce its life.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
Iv'e have had my 996P2 almost 2 years also, The volume, on off seemed very stiff to me when it was new, still is somewhat. I turn it on and off several times a day and adjust the volume in hopes that it would loosen up some. ( Also because it sits in the living room and I don't want to disturb other family members) . I have had dozens of ham radios and scanners, including a 996t thats about 11 years old that I treat the same way and I have never had a issue. I mean it's a little crazy if you can't turn your radio on and off if you want too.

Status
Not open for further replies.