scanner cut out

Status
Not open for further replies.

svtyone

ok so i have been using my pro-96 for approx 12 months now and have noticed at one particular intersection i get no reception but a 8th mile in any direction it starts recieving again. its the corner of east main and greenfield in el cajon. on the corner there is a jck in the box a cheveron a valeroes and demo'd hostpital. i have been around all of these resturants/gas stations before and had no problems. the only other thing in the area that uses radio is the chp station ahich is programmed in im sure the chp radios dont do this so why would my scanner any info would be apppreciated .

vinzep491

If it is a matter of the system having a deadspot, which most do, there isn't much you can do to remedy this issue.

What type of antenna are you using. I'd start there. Upgrade to one that is tuned to the band yopu are trying to recieve. If you are using this mobile, a good car antenna would improve reception.

Was it always like this for you or just once recently.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
There is a cell site at the intersection (behind the taco stand on East Main just east of Greenfield, backing up to the freeway ramp).
Most likely the cause (AT&T sites particularly play havoc with the South RCS Cell).

Last edited:

svtyone

so i understand that and makes sense. so now im curious if chp gets cut out to or is it just the scanners ability to recieve to low a wattage. and in respnce to the post prior i do use it mobile and went to radio shack and picked up the upgraded 800mgz antenna. still no reception and it makes a whining noise when in the dead zone even though its not locked on a frequency. im using the pro96 so maybe its just the old school tech. but i did buy a coax to bnc connector to use my cb antenna but i figured a 5' firestick wasnt adequate since its a single band antenna and not tuned for 800mhz. if it would be adequate please let me know would love to get rcs east and northeast clearly while in elcajon.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
How a radio reacts to the problem will vary by type. Another factor is where the radio is in relationship to the antenna of the cell site, and the closest RCS transmitter. In this case, the RCS signal is pretty good at the intersection. Other locations (a couple of places along Rosecrans in Point Loma come to mind), the RCS signal isn't as strong so the cell signal interferes with the reception of the RCS.

Status
Not open for further replies.