Scanner dealers in North Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for a BC346xt. I am in Arlington, and was wondering if anyone knows anywhere that carrys the BC346XT in the DFW area.

Thanks for any help!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am looking for a BC346xt. I am in Arlington, and was wondering if anyone knows anywhere that carrys the BC346XT in the DFW area.

Thanks for any help!
Not sure if they carry the 346, but the only "dealer" I've heard much mention of locally carrying some (though not all) of the Uniden scanners has been Fry's. However, their prices, in the past, have been well over what the better online dealers quote. Slim possibility that you might find a cb shop or truck stop that had one, but again, pricing would likely be well above the online dealers.

For a price reference, ScannerMaster shows the 346XT @ $214.95. A number of other online dealers are in the same ballpark, within a few dollars either way. Don't overpay too much, though you may want to 'pick it up & see it' before you buy'.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Don't overpay too much, though you may want to 'pick it up & see it' before you buy'.

Yeah, I looked at Fry's in Arlington, but their scanner / cb section is a total mess. And like you said, I want to see it before I buy one online.

Thanks!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If they have a 396 (either the 396T, original, or the 396XT, the current model), the 346XT is going to be that size/weight/form factor. If you get over to their Irving store, it's a lot better organized than the Arlington one. I refuse to go to the Arlington store anymore. But, no, I don't know what the Irving store has on the shelf.

Which specific system, or systems, are you wanting to monitor?

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Which specific system, or systems, are you wanting to monitor?

Just some local stuff when I'm in the wifes car, and when I travel for work I can put stuff in it for the area I'm at. Really want a digital handheld, but the price is quite a bit higher. Guess that is what the 996t in my truck is for when I'm home.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just some local stuff when I'm in the wifes car, and when I travel for work I can put stuff in it for the area I'm at. Really want a digital handheld, but the price is quite a bit higher. Guess that is what the 996t in my truck is for when I'm home.
Yeah, quite a price difference between the 346XT & the 396XT or the GRE digital handheld, PSR500 (which Radio Shack sells as the Pro-106).

The 346 would cover most of the locals, except the digital systems in Grand Prairie, Mansfield, & DPS (conventional), and the two newest ones in Prosper & White Settlement. There's some others that should come online in the next year or two, but it will be a while till everybody converts (if they ever do).

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
If you're willing to wait until June, they're several dealers that sell scanners at HamCom Ham-Com, The BIGGEST Hamfest in Texas with most at or below the on-line prices (although they must charge sales tax).

Looks awesome. I was originally going wanting to find one before Monday, since I will be traveling to the Boston area for about three weeks for work. Scanning helps pass the time while I'm sitting in the hotel room at night.

I did go to the Irving and Plano Fry's today, but they just had the 246t there. I did like the design, so if the 346 are similar, then that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks guys for your input!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Looks awesome. I was originally going wanting to find one before Monday, since I will be traveling to the Boston area for about three weeks for work. Scanning helps pass the time while I'm sitting in the hotel room at night.

I did go to the Irving and Plano Fry's today, but they just had the 246t there. I did like the design, so if the 346 are similar, then that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks guys for your input!
The 346 is the form factor of the 396 (T or XT versions), so it's a little larger than the 246. However, the features are closer to the 246 than the 396 (the 246 being analog versus the digital 396's).

If you're going to be in the Boston area, you'll be near Scanner Master's store. Go to this page on their site. I Googled the address, appears to be W-S/W of Boston, south of Framingham. They would have the scanner for you to look at.

Don't forget that whenever you get it, FreeScan can import your 996 files and use them to give you a head start for programming the new scanner. I used my 396T files to set up the 396XT when it came in.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Hmm. Didn't realized that Scanner Master was that close to Boston. Hopefully I can sneak a few miles by my company on the rental car and pay them a visit!

Status
Not open for further replies.