Scanner feed in Jennings, La?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmcd14

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased and recieved an Uniden HomePatrol 2 pre-programmed from scanner master.com. Out of the box turned on it doesn't pick up anything, does anyone have any pointers? I'm new to this, thanks!

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
Check your zipcode and make sure its correct or enter you lat/long manually and then make sure the types of channels you want to listen to (police, fire, etc) are selected.

bmcd14

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, I got it figured out.. after gaining a little bit of knowledge from this forum and reading endlessly I have enough info to get me going lol. I did the zip code search on my computer with the software removed all of the lagniappe freq. and now I hear everything within a 20 mile radius.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Congrats and friendly tip

Congrats on your purchase. I have an HP-1, which is fine for LA since they are staying P25-phase 1.

It looks like your area is similar to mine, in that the vast majority of interesting/public safety transmission are on the LWIN system. In case your are new to the HP series, even without all the lagniappe frequencies removed, you can just tap the top part of the display text as it scans the LWIN system, and it will stay locked there. This significantly lessens chance of missing transmissions of interest.

For even more fun, buy a $20dongle and get a free copy of unitrunker, and see everything going on at once for your local LWIN site.

Enjoy

FYI I'm down the road in Lafayette

KB5UDF->W5JAB

bmcd14

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the input, okay now my wheels are turning.. what kind of dongle are you talking about? (brand, model #) I def. want to look into this now.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Model

I like Noo elec for cheap rtl dongles

https://www.amazon.com/NooElec-NESD...e=UTF8&qid=1502162775&sr=8-4&keywords=nooelec

This website has all sorts of information about these devices:

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/

Basically a few years ago, a smart person figured out that foreign format tv tuner usb sticks, could be repurposed
as wideband software defined receivers. They have terrible specs as receivers, but for some applications work surprisingly well. With one of these on a pc, you can monitor a p25 trunked system like LWIN. With two of them, you can monitor the system activity and listen to talk groups. There are several steps, go actually listen to digital audio. RTL-sdr has faq's, as do the publisher of unitrunker.

Let me know if I can help.

cellblock776

I use the NooElec dongle for monitoring Aircraft I get a good 125 mile range around my home using the small mag mount antenna that comes with it. I don't see everything over me yet since not everyone is using the same modes but with it I get a pretty good idea without having to depend on websites such as FlightRadar24.
I have yet to try to use the dongle for LWIN. I tested it on some ham bands but was disappointed with it and trying to scan the waterfall with it compared to my trunktrackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.