Scanner Feed Maps With RADAR Overlay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Hello,

First off, many thanks to the folks that are providing feeds in today's storm areas. Hopefully you, yours, and people in general will be able to stay safe during these outbreaks.

If this topic has been covered, my apologies, but as the title suggests, has anyone come up with a means to show counties that have scanner feeds with a radar loop overlay? I'd expect it's possible but I certainly don't have the know-how to do so. As it is now I jump back and forth between a regional AccuWeather loop and the RR feed maps, which works OK for me, but a combo of the two would be really nifty. I wonder if it's possible.

Again, thanks and please stay safe.

ecps92

Thats interesting.

Is there a KML/KMZ [Google Earth] for the Live-Feeds?

If there is, then Scott you could get the Radar Overlays from NOAA to feed google-earth

Hello,

First off, many thanks to the folks that are providing feeds in today's storm areas. Hopefully you, yours, and people in general will be able to stay safe during these outbreaks.

If this topic has been covered, my apologies, but as the title suggests, has anyone come up with a means to show counties that have scanner feeds with a radar loop overlay? I'd expect it's possible but I certainly don't have the know-how to do so. As it is now I jump back and forth between a regional AccuWeather loop and the RR feed maps, which works OK for me, but a combo of the two would be really nifty. I wonder if it's possible.

Again, thanks and please stay safe.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Thats interesting.

Is there a KML/KMZ [Google Earth] for the Live-Feeds?

If there is, then Scott you could get the Radar Overlays from NOAA to feed google-earth

That's along the lines of what I was thinking, but I have very little experience with KML files. I wonder if they allow for interaction to the point where you could click on the county and be taken to the list of feeds available. That's what in my eyes would make it worthwhile, otherwise there's no advantage to simply jumping back and forth between webpages.

Utah_Viper

This is an excellent idea!! I agree that the way to go would be a Google Earth KML file. It would be a LOT of work to get every live feed updated. There are probably some sort of work around that could be done server side but I have no clue how. I do know that manually I could set it up to have links to the county player for each county. I may try and do a sample later tonight of several West Michigan counties just as a start.

talkpair

My idea was somewhat similar to yours

It would be nice to be able to pull up a list of feeds based on user selectable weather warnings.

I usually use the National Weather Hazards map to look for specific weather events, then jot down the state and county names I'm interested in, then go looking for matching feeds.

It's a cumbersome process, but works for now.

frazpo

I have been working on this just recently. I never thought of looking in this thread for similar ideas. I believe the key would be integration of NWS warning data (for a text version of the idea). I have not found where RR has any type of geo location in the api for the feeds. The api can be scripted to show feeds in particular counties of particular states which would be a start. Combine that with the NWS warning data and you would at least have a list of warnings per county and the related feed. If there is one. I will post what I put together. Weather brings more people to these feeds than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.