Scanner Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAPatriot

Hi Gang!

A few days ago my system went toes up and I had to replace it, so my scanner feed has been down, sorry. The new computer is a Vista machine and has Norton protecting it, which worked fine on the old one. For some reason I'm having problems gaining access to the feed, which is supposed to be going out via WME 9. I worked on it some last night with a Norton tech and am getting ready for another session. HOPEFULLY I can get this solved today. Still, if anyone has any ideas, I'm open to them. It may be that while WME runs on Vista it's not really working, I honestly don't know. At any rate, feel free to click on the link in my sig, see what happens, and give feedback if any thoughts or ideas. Sorry for the inconvenience, I know a lot of people are wondering where it went. -Rod-

Scan-Denver

Throw out WME and go with Gordon's scanner streaming server at http://scangwinnet.com or http://scancolorado.com. Windows media encoder eats up a tremendous amount of system resources and bandwidth which makes it hard to do other tasks without slowing down or locking your computer up. The way it works is, you install the oddcast encoder on your machine and upload the audio to the server in Georgia. Then your listeners click on your feed link and the stream is fed by the server in georgia which in turn uses very very little of your own system resources/bandwidth which allows you to do other things while your scanner is working in the background. You can contact Gordon at gordon@scangwinnet.com or gordon@scancolorado.com. Good Luck !

P.S. Check it out, I guarantee you like it alot more than WME !

NYRHKY94

I'm with Scan-Denver on this one! Moving my feeds (4) over to Gordon's hosting method was one of the best things I did. It was simple, the software is already configured and I was up & running with a web site for my area in 1 day.

http://www.scannewhampshire.com

I recovered a ton of resources on my PC's by doing this and got out of the "server" business from home. My feeds also get recorded automatically & are archived on the site (a very handy feature).

Gordon was great to work with & I highly recommend him.

Scan-Denver

Along with recording your scanner and keeping those recordings for at least 30 days, there's also posted links to interesting events that took place. Theres also feed stats that are provided that will tell you how many people have listened to your feed last month, this month, last week, this week, yesterday, and today. Also provides the percentage of uptime that your feed has been online. Gordon also provides google analytics for those interested and this will give you information on how many listeners from different countries, states, counties, and cities. What kind of operating system they used, what kind of browser, etc, etc.

So all in all, you're not just getting a server to stream your scanner for you, but you're getting a whole lot more. Alot more than what windows media will ever do and will do all that and take up less resources.

It might not be what you're looking for but at least give it a try or consider it.

WP4MZR

Scan-Denver said:
Throw out WME and go with Gordon's scanner streaming server at http://scangwinnet.com or http://scancolorado.com. Windows media encoder eats up a tremendous amount of system resources and bandwidth which makes it hard to do other tasks without slowing down or locking your computer up. The way it works is, you install the oddcast encoder on your machine and upload the audio to the server in Georgia. Then your listeners click on your feed link and the stream is fed by the server in georgia which in turn uses very very little of your own system resources/bandwidth which allows you to do other things while your scanner is working in the background. You can contact Gordon at gordon@scangwinnet.com or gordon@scancolorado.com. Good Luck !

P.S. Check it out, I guarantee you like it alot more than WME !

It looks like the first link is dead. I would like to take a look at this, could you please send me or post the right link for this info...thanks

USAPatriot

I think I've got my problem licked. I hope so. Please test the link in my sig and give me your feedback. If the stream plays in your browser and stops after a time, pasting the URL into Windows Media Player will probably solve that problem. Thanks! -Rod-

USAPatriot

Guys, I could use your feedback! I've had 115 logins so far, times running from a few seconds to a few hours. But I've so far only heard from one user that thought the volume was a bit low. I'm currently looking for a workaround to the page-linking setup but that could take some time and not a priority.
At any rate, the LAPD/EMS feed is live, runs from about 8am - ~1am Pacific time and I definitely would like to hear from those that have tuned in. Thanks! -Rod-

mule1075

Feed Provider
i have to agree the audio is low.you also have a slight hum now that was not their in the past.bump up the audio a touch and i think you will be good to go.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I was just listening to the feed. The audio is good but it is low. Also I only get audio from one speaker from your feed. Is that normal for your feed? I get sound from both speakers on most other feeds including my own. Thanks for putting it back up.

WP4MZR

USAPatriot said:
Guys, I could use your feedback! I've had 115 logins so far, times running from a few seconds to a few hours. But I've so far only heard from one user that thought the volume was a bit low. I'm currently looking for a workaround to the page-linking setup but that could take some time and not a priority.
At any rate, the LAPD/EMS feed is live, runs from about 8am - ~1am Pacific time and I definitely would like to hear from those that have tuned in. Thanks! -Rod-

It looks like you are encoding at 32k stereo, correct? Remember that scanners are mono, so your sound card is only getting 1 audio channel but it is encoding 2, that is why we get sound out of one speaker only. Also you are wasting bandwidth, 32K stereo = 16k+16k channels. Try encoding at 16k MONO, sound quality should be the same.

Scan-Denver

WP4MZR said:
Remember that scanners are mono, so your sound card is only getting 1 audio channel but it is encoding 2, that is why we get sound out of one speaker only.
In this case yes it does appear that there is only a mono signal coming from the scanner. However not all scanners have a mono headphone jack. Some have a stereo jack and you will hear audio from both channels.

USAPatriot

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Bandwidth isn't too much of a concern here with a cable line and with a new link to boot. In time it'll hopefully get crowded enough that I'll be forced to lower the quality a bit to make room for people.

I raised the audio but even while it was low it was going into the redline so I was unsure how high I could go without distorting it. The meters aren't exact, I know. I can see the hum on the meter as well. The audio level never drops down to anywhere close to zero. It may be that I need to drop the gain on the mic input or it may be interference from the computer's fan. I'll work on it and we'll see how it is tomorrow. Thanks! -Rod-

WP4MZR

Scan-Denver said:
In this case yes it does appear that there is only a mono signal coming from the scanner. However not all scanners have a mono headphone jack. Some have a stereo jack and you will hear audio from both channels.

Cool, I was not aware of that, thanks.

USAPatriot

K. I've removed most of the hum. The mic input gain was set to 100, and I dropped it to 3. The scanner volume is lower than it was last night, not going into the redline, but without the hum it should be ok. Please let me know if it needs to be boosted. -Rod-

mule1075

Feed Provider
Great Feed

excellent much better with the audio turned up a notch.just a quick ? in a few of your previous posts i see you are using the mic in for your feed.just a suggestion try running it thru the line in if available.your feed is excellent and thanks for providing it for others to enjoy.Adam

USAPatriot

mule1075 said:
excellent much better with the audio turned up a notch.just a quick ? in a few of your previous posts i see you are using the mic in for your feed.just a suggestion try running it thru the line in if available.your feed is excellent and thanks for providing it for others to enjoy.Adam

The trouble with using the line-in is that you'd also hear any music I listen to or videos I watch. It's bad enough that I have to listen to it all at once, I sure don't want to broadcast it all. -Rod-

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
USAPatriot said:
The trouble with using the line-in is that you'd also hear any music I listen to or videos I watch. It's bad enough that I have to listen to it all at once, I sure don't want to broadcast it all. -Rod-

I'm using the line-in jack on my computer and I haven't run into the problem of listeners hearing what I'm listening to on my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.