Scanner fir San Diego bcd436hp vs sds100 whistler trx 1 vs other

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylanmitchell

I'm in San Diego and looking for a portable handheld for use at home and in the car. Want to pick up police and fire for City of San Diego, County of San Diego/ unincorpated cties like Spring Valley and Jamul, El Cajon, La Mesa, Unicorpirated County areas, and CHP.

What scanners work best in our area? Also hiw is scannercity pre programmed options vs local ham radio outlet. Prefer to support local businesses.

nick0909

Antenna flicker
Feed Provider
The county has just moved, and the city is in the process of moving, to a simulcast digital system. This means that scanners like a bcd325p2 will work most the time, but they will drop out randomly when the simulcast confuses the receiver. If you can find a location and antenna setup that works and not move it, you can get pretty reliable reception but it really depends where you live. For an HT in the car/moving around, it can change every few feet how well it works. The only one HT scanner I know of that will work for sure all the time is SDS100, but it is also one of the most expensive out there right now.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you're moving around, the only handheld scanner that will consistently receive a simulcast system is the SDS100.

SDBud

I've programmed 325P2 radios for a number of people, and had NO complaints from any. If you're just wanting to listen as a hobbyist, a 325P22 will work just fine. If you need absolutely perfect full time contact, then you'll have to get a Moto commercial radio. THAT will cost you a lot, you CAN'T program it yourself, and they have VERY limited scan options.

nick0909

Antenna flicker
Feed Provider
I have a 325P2, it works about 99% of the time at my house on the city 700mhz system, but if I have it in my car on the stock antenna or put it on an external antenna on my car and drive around I can get very wild reception, including periods of no audio long enough to be fairly frustrating. It really depends where and how you want to listen how well it will work.

It might be worth finding a used one and seeing how well it works for you in the areas you are most, then if it isn't satisfactory you can decide if you want to spend the money on the SDS100.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I've programmed 325P2 radios for a number of people, and had NO complaints from any. If you're just wanting to listen as a hobbyist, a 325P22 will work just fine. If you need absolutely perfect full time contact, then you'll have to get a Moto commercial radio. THAT will cost you a lot, you CAN'T program it yourself, and they have VERY limited scan options.
That's bad advice in every respect. There's plenty of evidence that conventional scanners like the 325 have issues with simulcast reception, and that the SDS models solve those issues for far less money and hassle than a Motorola radio. There literally thousands of posts here on both topics.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I have a 325P2, it works about 99% of the time at my house on the city 700mhz system, but if I have it in my car on the stock antenna or put it on an external antenna on my car and drive around I can get very wild reception, including periods of no audio long enough to be fairly frustrating. It really depends where and how you want to listen how well it will work.

It might be worth finding a used one and seeing how well it works for you in the areas you are most, then if it isn't satisfactory you can decide if you want to spend the money on the SDS100.

Just to make sure apples to apples, are you referring to the City’s current system or future system? Because you just told him they are getting ready to move to a digital simulcast system- and the scanner you recommended typically does not perform well with simulcast systems. So do you have experience with this simulcast system that the 325p2 does well on the new system?

nick0909

Antenna flicker
Feed Provider
Just to make sure apples to apples, are you referring to the City’s current system or future system? Because you just told him they are getting ready to move to a digital simulcast system- and the scanner you recommended typically does not perform well with simulcast systems. So do you have experience with this simulcast system that the 325p2 does well on the new system?

I was referring to the new system. I have given up on the city 800mhz system (the old system) and only monitor the new 700mhz system. I also provide the 2 feeds to broadcastify, one on 700 and one still on 800, as well as a the full 700mhz system (10 simultaneous recorders) to the beta broadcastify calls system. I did not say the 325p2 does well on the new system always. I said at my house when I have it not moving I can receive 99% of calls, but while in my car or moving around it can have a lot of reception issues, so it really depends where you are. In my house the 325p2 is basically fine and I listen to it all the time, but a mile away it may not be, or in my car it is useless and I just listen to my own online stream at that point. It really depends where you are, if you are lucky enough to only receive one of the broadcast sites then the radio can handle it.

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
I Own Both SDS 200 / 996P2 I had issues with the (new San Diego city P25) with my (Mobile) 996P2 ( works here... don't work here) ......... My SDS 200 is like The Dispatchers sitting in The Passenger seat...... covers a much Larger area more Reliable.

Lots of Confusion out there ...... I love my 996P2 ......... as It performed A+ on The Analog Trunking systems Like the Motorola Smart-zones etc.

(P25 Trunking) is nothing Like the Analog Trunking ...... Good luck

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Most TRX scanners will not work for the San Diego City 700 or COunty RCS.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.