Scanner-Florida-Noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

diplomat

I have never owned a scanner and I am really confused as to finding the one that fits my specific needs. I live in Florida, Palm Beach Gardens. I am interested in listening to their frequency mostly but also other local departments such as Sheriffs office, Riviera beach, etc. How do I know which scanner will meet my needs? How do I know if a department's frequencies will be compatible with the scanner I purchase.? The last thing I want to do is purchase a scanner and it doesnt work with the police frequencies I put in.

Raptor05121

Go in the database and see what kind of systems they have (digital/trunking/analog/P25) etc and that will determine a lot.

Off topic, I went to fire class in Ft. Pierce with a guy from PBGFR, very nice guys down there.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
You can't monitor PB Gardens PD, Town of Palm Beach, Juno Beach, or Jupiter. They moved to an unmonitorable system called Open Sky.

PBCO, PBCFR, Rivieria, North Palm, as an example, can be monitored with a simple analog capable trunking scanner.

diplomat

KS4VT:
Thankk you for your response. The department I wanted to monitor the most was PBGPD....Guess I wont be buying a scanner. This sucks. I really wanted to be able offer additional protection to my family and property but I guess not.

W4TF

You can't monitor PB Gardens PD, Town of Palm Beach, Juno Beach, or Jupiter. They moved to an unmonitorable system called Open Sky.

PBCO, PBCFR, Rivieria, North Palm, as an example, can be monitored with a simple analog capable trunking scanner.

Thanks for the heads up Mark. I don't monitor PBC very much, so I didn't notice the migration actually took place after all the back and forth debates.

As far as the OP - I would recommend looking into the Pro-106 or the BCD396XT as a scanner that would work for most agencies out here now in FL with the exception of systems like KS4VT pointed out that are un-monitorable (..like the FHP as well..) These scanners are also great to learn with and grow with as you will now outgrow either one of these any time soon.

diplomat

Thanks for the heads up Mark. I don't monitor PBC very much, so I didn't notice the migration actually took place after all the back and forth debates.

As far as the OP - I would recommend looking into the Pro-106 or the BCD396XT as a scanner that would work for most agencies out here now in FL with the exception of systems like KS4VT pointed out that are un-monitorable (..like the FHP as well..) These scanners are also great to learn with and grow with as you will now outgrow either one of these any time soon.

Is it fair to say that if I cant listen to the scanner on radioreference online that I wouldnt be able to listen to it on a scanner.?

W4TF

no. remember rr.com only has a very limited amount of live streams. there are MANY things you could listen to that are not listed here. Some are not even ALLOWED to be on here, but very very interesting to listen to as well

diplomat

How do I find out which system police departments are running on: digital, analogue, not-available, etc..??? I looked at the database and it lists PBG police department but a poster stated that those frequencies are unavailable. I am trying to determine what type of scanner I would need to listen to a certain frequency: digital, analogue, etc????

On a side note: I went to Radio Shack and the guy told me that if I buy some program, that costs and extra 40 bucks or whatever, I would be able to program Palm Beach Gardens, into a scanner. He did say that the program comes with about 2 weeks of free programming, then I would have to pay extra. Why is this all so confusing?? Has anyone ever heard of this????

N4KVE

The guy at Radio Shack is lying to you. As was stated above, Open Sky can not be monitored by anything. If you want to offer your family better protection, buy a gun. Lot's of people every day come into my place of employment to offer their families additional protection, & they don't buy scanners. LOL. GARY N4KVE

Last edited:

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Last edited:

diplomat

The guy at Radio Shack is lying to you. As was stated above, Open Sky can not be monitored by anything. If you want to offer your family better protection, buy a gun. Lot's of people every day come into my place of employment to offer their families additional protection, & they don't buy scanners. LOL. GARY N4KVE

Why would you assume I don't already own a firearm? Are you judgmental in every aspect of your life or only on anonymous discussion boards? You don't have to answer, I was just curious, oh wait, you probably already knew I was curious. LOL

reedeb

Why would you assume I don't already own a firearm? Are you judgmental in every aspect of your life or only on anonymous discussion boards? You don't have to answer, I was just curious, oh wait, you probably already knew I was curious. LOL

I don't think he assumed anything. He just gave you sound advise, [take it or leave it].
NOW who's sounding judgemental? You ask questions and when somone replies, YOU get all argumentative. Believe me if there was trouble, I would be grabbing my handgun BEFORE I grabbed my scanner.

reedeb

I figured as much. Similar to a firearm, spellcheck is a marvelous tool, I would suggest becoming familiar with it.

And here YOU are being judgmental AFTER calli8ng someone else judgmental and making such specifics about ONE little letter off. You sound a little hypocritical there Bub!!

Status
Not open for further replies.