Scanner for broadcasting

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleeDavis

KD222000
Premium Subscriber
Hey all, my local EMS scanner shut down on Broadcastify and I'm looking into providing the feed myself. I have all of the computer stuff figured out but I need recommendations for fairly cheap analog scanners that would work for broadcasting. I really don't want to use my digital scanner because I often leave the house with it. Thanks!

Dark_Hunter

More information needed. What is your budget? You can do this with a USB sound card and a Raspberry Pi. As for the scanner look into the bearcat XLT series.

KyleeDavis

KD222000
Premium Subscriber
More information needed. What is your budget? You can do this with a USB sound card and a Raspberry Pi. As for the scanner look into the bearcat XLT series.
My budget for a scanner is probably no more than $100. I just need an analog scanner that would work for providing feed for a fairly unpopulated area.

DC31

Feed Provider
If you only need one frequency for local EMS with no need for scanning, take a look at the cheap Baofeng handhelds. Some of my best audio comes from a $13 Baofeng BF888S. That model is only uhf. The uv5r and its variants are dual band. Search Amazon for Baofeng.

Dark_Hunter

If you only need one frequency for local EMS with no need for scanning, take a look at the cheap Baofeng handhelds. Some of my best audio comes from a $13 Baofeng BF888S. That model is only uhf. The uv5r and its variants are dual band. Search Amazon for Baofeng.
I don't recommend this, using one of these would require an amateur radio license. Sure you only plan on using it for receiving, but the FCC will assume you plan on using it for transmitting as well. I know they have an odd way of thinking but I assume its to prevent these radios going into the wrong hands.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I don't recommend this, using one of these would require an amateur radio license. Sure you only plan on using it for receiving, but the FCC will assume you plan on using it for transmitting as well. I know they have an odd way of thinking but I assume its to prevent these radios going into the wrong hands.
This has been discussed here many times. Owning a radio capable of transmitting does not require a license and is not illegal if you never transmit on it. If you do use a transceiver you should disable transmitting when you program channels. The main issue you might have with a Baofeng or similar cheap radio is the receiver tends to overload (desense) in the presence of high RF environments, especially when using an external antenna. At around $78 the Uniden BC365CRS is probably the least expensive analog base scanner available new.

Dark_Hunter

Hmm from what I heard they are getting tight on people buying these radios. Oh well, maybe old news. Maybe a cheap SDR might also be worth looking into.

majoco

Stirrer
The more observant might notice that "Dark Hunter" is in New Zealand. It's been a while since I bought a radio capable of transmitting over the counter from a dealer and even then back in the 90's I had to show my licence before I could get my hands on it. Our local auction web site has the statement "Sold to licenced amateurs only. " on ham band transmitting equipment.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I have all of the computer stuff figured out but I need recommendations for fairly cheap analog scanners that would work for broadcasting.

When I started streaming over five years ago, I picked up a Uniden BC860XLT on eBay for $25 because like you, I didn't want to tie up my digital scanner. The 860XLT did a fine job once the audio level was properly adjusted. I still have it and use it on occasion for other purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.