Scanner for Chester County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB2UZR

Hi All:

A buddy of mine is looking for a scanner to use in Chester county. Would it be worth it for him to get a digital scanner, or would a regular trunking scanner be a reasonable choice? I know systems can change down the road, but what do you guys think would be the best choice?

Thanks!

Scott/WB2UZR

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
I highly recommend the Uniden 996P2. Along with the $60 programming (Butel) from Scanner Master (instant download). I've programmed two for my cousin's jewelry store. Whistler sells very good scanners, but you will pay a little more for them.

The best prices I've seen were at Wal Mart online with in store pick-up and e-bates coupons. Several posters here have accomplished purchasing there.

Good luck!

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
According to the database, Chester SD, PD and Great Falls PD all use talkgroups on Palmetto 800. As does SCHP and many other state agencies. As do agencies in Fairfield and Lancaster Counties. This system is getting ready to switch to a P25 all-digital system within the next few months. Many of the listening opportunities may be lost to owners of analog-only scanners once this switch is made.

I have 2 caveats to that statement -

I seem to remember a discussion years ago about LE agencies in Chester County abandoning Palmetto 800 and switching back to VHF due to the service costs for Palmetto 800. If they're still on VHF analog, then the change of Palmetto 800 to P25 would not be as significant. If that's the case, I'd like to know so I can update the database.

If the Chester Co LE agencies are on Palmetto 800, and they switch to P25 in the next few months, it's possible they could choose to encrypt their channels on the new system. In this case, no scanner would be able to monitor their radio transmissions, again making the change less significant.

Purchasing a digital scanner will help ensure that your friend can listen to most radio systems (that aren't encrypted) now and in the future. But in some circumstances, it can also be overkill for an area that uses analog conventional VHF radio systems.

Brian

WB2UZR

Thanks for the replies guys. If he wants to spend the extra money, maybe he'll look at a digital model to be safe. Not sure what other counties/agencies that might be nearby that he might want to monitor that are digital. I have an older 996T that I've been happy with, so maybe he might take a look at the latest and greatest version of it, or similar. He is a ham, so programming shouldn't be an issue.

DCHarris

Premium Subscriber
Though Great Falls has an assigned TG on Palmetto-800, it is not in use. The PD still communicates on VHF 158.850. Don't hear anything from Ft. Lawn on Palmetto-800. Chester City PD used to use VHF, has only fairly recently begun using Palmetto-800.

GamecockSJ

Chester SO has been P25 for well over a year. Chester city is also P25, don't know when they switched. Both are on Palmetto 800.

Status
Not open for further replies.