Scanner for digital trimmed systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanR84

Looking to buy a mobile scanner for mot type two digital smart zone frequencies. New to the trunking side of this. What would be a good option?

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
As long as you're asking for opinions, I'd suggest a unit that can handle simulcast with aplomb... I'm not local, but looking at the RR DB, it appears that each of the three simulcast sites on the Richmond/Henrico system are actually made up of a minimum of several towers, each. That could easily cause difficulties with a non-simulcast capable scanner. You should probably search these forums for discussions on linear simulcast distortion--there is an abundance of info--before plunking down your hard-earned cash.

My recommendations for simulcast units--not all of them are scanners:

-Unication G5 (Very popular pager, unaffected by simulcast with good scanner capabilites, and used by all the fire vols & pros in my county)

-SDS200/100 series (Love my SDS200, very good with simulcast--takes a bit of study to learn all features, but works just fine out of the box)

-KNG-series pro radio (Impervious to simulcast--does true non-affiliating scan, but takes time to learn programming and has more limited scanlist capabilities)

Good luck with your search--hope this helps.

RyanR84

As long as you're asking for opinions, I'd suggest a unit that can handle simulcast with aplomb... I'm not local, but looking at the RR DB, it appears that each of the three simulcast sites on the Richmond/Henrico system are actually made up of a minimum of several towers, each. That could easily cause difficulties with a non-simulcast capable scanner. You should probably search these forums for discussions on linear simulcast distortion--there is an abundance of info--before plunking down your hard-earned cash.

My recommendations for simulcast units--not all of them are scanners:

-Unication G5 (Very popular pager, unaffected by simulcast with good scanner capabilites, and used by all the fire vols & pros in my county)

-SDS200/100 series (Love my SDS200, very good with simulcast--takes a bit of study to learn all features, but works just fine out of the box)

-KNG-series pro radio (Impervious to simulcast--does true non-affiliating scan, but takes time to learn programming and has more limited scanlist capabilities)

Good luck with your search--hope this helps.
Thank you for your checking into the frequencies. Am I reading it right that those Chanel’s are broadcast as anolog? Or with the simulcast is it both?I currently have a Bct15x that I’m unable to receive any of the Richmond frequencies with. Sorry very new to trunking. My last unit had crystals…

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
The system description says that it's mixed analog and digital, but everything in the database talkgroups are listed as digital. If that's the case, your BCT-15 will not copy this system, sorry. The system may still have analog capability, when an analog radio affiliates with the system, but they seem to be completely digital in normal operations. Remember too, that Richmond PD seems to be completely encrypted, so you won't be able to copy them with any scanner.

I hope I wasn't too gloomy with the simulcast suggestions... some folks can get good reception without going to the real expensive simulcast capable scanners--it's all about location. I would check with a local person--hopefully someone on the same Richmond / Henrico system to give you the local scoop.

And don't worry, many of us still have a few scanner crystals lying around our shacks--shows that we've got some miles on us.

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
I’m still happily using my BC396T handheld as my main scanner here near Richmond, VA. I receive the Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield 3 county system just fine, even though it’s simulcast. I also receive the STARS statewide system, which the state troopers are on, just fine. There is nothing on NXDN or DMR that I really “have” to monitor (although it would be fun to monitor the six area hospitals on their DMR system). Unfortunately, my BC780XLT is good only for monitoring conventional transmissions here, so I use it to keep an ear out on aircraft, railroads, marine, FRS/GMRS and business freqs. It’s not usable any longer for the trunked systems in this area!

Ryan-

Here's a person that you may want to check in with... see his note above--that was posted in April of this year. Remember, with simulcast it's all about location, but he seems to be doing well without anything more fancy than a BCD396T--definitely a less expensive way to go.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I believe Richmond and Henrico both are moving toward encryption of law enforcement channels- if they are not there already. Fire & Rescue is in the clear.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I would go the route of the SDS100 or 200. Richmond and the other counties on the Richmond TRS are upgrading soon, with that new system you’ll have a more difficult time with simulcast. With the 436 you’ll be missing lots of transmissions

fredva

Feed Provider
I agree with LeSueurC. I would look to the future. While some older generation scanners like my WS-1080 will work fine on a Motorola simulcast system, it's a different story on P25 simulcast systems.

kainixon2187

Premium Subscriber
I use an XTS5000 to monitor phase I/type II systems. It works great but it can be a challenge for most to program it to a system to it doesn't affiliate. You can usually get one on ebay for around 200. The only problem is you're restricted to listening to only p25 phase I and Motorola type II. It also isn't capable of working on multiple bands. Looking at a scanner, the sds100/200 would be your best option. It can listen to a variety of digital modes and works great with simulcast. I have a bcd436hp and it does terribly on ORION. I would not recommend a 436 for simulcast. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.