Scanner for DMR ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcgama

Friends, is there a radio capable of scanning DRM signal frequencies?

I have a Grecom PRO 197 Scanner but it only scans P25 signals and I would like a scanner to pick up digital DMR .....

Thank you and a hug to everyone

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
The DMR: Monitoring DMR page on the wiki is a terrific place to start. Note that Uniden scanners requires you to pay for the upgrade and comes default with the Whistler scanners. You can read about the performance in both of their forums.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Uniden charges a fee for DMR, but Uniden scanners will track trunked DMR, while Whistlers do not. On a busy trunked DMR system, the Whistlers will give you random snippets of whatever talkgroups are active, but Unidens will allow you to lock on to a talkgroup and follow it even if the system changes the frequency in mid-conversation.

rcgama

Sorry, I do not quite understand ... The Uniden scanners do they scan DMR frequencies? That's right? What model do you indicate?

And from what I understand, do I have to pay to have the Uniden scanner updated to be able to scan DMR frequencies?

Thanks again.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I do not quite understand ... The Uniden scanners do they scan DMR frequencies? That's right? What model do you indicate?

And from what I understand, do I have to pay to have the Uniden scanner updated to be able to scan DMR frequencies?

Thanks again.

Follow these 2 links. They give you all the info you need, including which scanners can be upgraded, how much it costs, and the complete procedure to purchase and activate the upgrades.

For the BCDx36HP scanners:

DigitalMobileRadioUpgrade < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

For the BCD996P2 and BCD325P2 Scanners:

DigitalMobileRadioUpgradeforBCDxxxP2 < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You have to buy the scanner, register it, then you can buy the DMR key. Once you enter the DMR key the scanner will decode the digital data so you hear voice instead of digital noise.

NM9X

Uniden charges a fee for DMR, but Uniden scanners will track trunked DMR, while Whistlers do not. On a busy trunked DMR system, the Whistlers will give you random snippets of whatever talkgroups are active, but Unidens will allow you to lock on to a talkgroup and follow it even if the system changes the frequency in mid-conversation.

While true that the whistler does not trunk track the dmr system, you can hold on a tgid and follow a conversation through the trunked frequency changes with the whistler. It goes about "trunking" in a different manner than the way the system was designed.

I've had both the Whistler TRX1 and the Uniden 436hp and you can use either radio to follow dmr conversations.

rcgama

"You have to buy the scanner, register it, then you can buy the DMR key. Once you enter the DMR key the scanner will decode the digital data so you hear voice instead of digital noise.""

Jonwienke
And what kind of Uniden scanner would you indicate?

And in the case then I would register, and would have to update the firmware of him and put to him already would decode? That is, would I just tune the frequency and decode it?

And in case it would work for frequencies from here in Brazil?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I would recommend a Uniden BCD436HP or BCD536HP. They have very good receivers.

Once you have the scanner and input the DMR key, it will decode DMR on any programmed frequency where it finds it.

The scanner will work in Brazil, but the built-in database covers only USA and Canada. You will have to create your own favorite list of frequencies to scan.

NM9X

Another thing to be aware of with the Uniden when scanning a trunked DMR system such as mototrbo connect plus and capacity plus is that you need to have the LCNs programmed in correctly assigned to all the frequencies used by the system. The Whistler only needs all the frequencies and does not need the LCNs because its not trunking per se. Getting the right LCNs can be a pain but the Uniden has a trunked system analysis built in which will take the frequencies you program and apply the correct LCN. I've had good success with this in the Uniden. Of course, if you're not scanning a trunked dmr system, none of this is necessary. Color codes on both can be set to search.

I also recommend the Uniden over the Whistler after using both based on my personal preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.