Scanner for father in law

NukeDuck

I've been tasked for picking out a scanner for my father in law. He wants to be able to listen to police/ems/fire/coast guard communications in the Plymouth Massachusetts area. I had an analog scanner growing up because my extended family and I were all volunteer firefighters but I know things have been going digital since then.

Would the bearcat BC125AT be able to do what he wants or should I be looking for something else?

garys

Premium Subscriber
A Uniden BCD325P2 would be a good not overly expensive scanner if he wants a portable. For a base scanner the BCD996P2 would be essentially the same.

A good number of police agencies in Plymouth County have moved to digital and more will be as they get money to replace aging radio systems.

Nasby

Whistler WS1040. Affordable and great audio.
Ideal unit for non simulcast digital.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I use my 325p2 for listening when I'm not at my desk. I power it off of a USB adapter and use a Remtronix 842B. I like the scanner because it's portable and has good sensitivity. Audio is acceptable as well.

I agree with @garys . The 996P2 or 325P2 would be ideal - one or the other or both!

I use the 325P2 on an AC adapter full-time and it works great.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
If you go into the menu and increase the "volume offset" it helps the audio a lot,.....