Scanner for Maine Trunkjng system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have suggestions on scanners that would work on the Massachusetts state PD trunking system, the Mass metro area systems (uhf high), NH state systems (VHF p25 and analog) and lastly the Maine state police trunking system. I'm looking to not spend a ton of money but a good scanner would be well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ME343

ME/NH/VT DB Admin
Database Admin
Uniden:
HP1/2
BCD*96T/XT/P
BCD*36HP
BCD325P2
BCD996P2

Whistler:
WS1040(Re-branded RS PRO-106)
WS1065(Re-branded RS PRO-197)
WS1095/1098
TRX 1
TRX 2

Vermonster

Based on *a lot* of personal experimentation:
If reception of NHSP (Troop F) or NHFG in Coos County is important to you, I would avoid the Uniden 536HP. It is substantially deaf on these frequencies. The Whistler TRX-2 is better--it probably misses about 20% of communications based on a comparison sitting side-by-side with a trooper in his vehicle. For the price difference in radios I can live with that.

My 536HP and 396XT both work great in NH south of the notches and in all the areas of Mass and Maine I've traveled to.

Based on *a lot* of personal experimentation:
If reception of NHSP (Troop F) or NHFG in Coos County is important to you, I would avoid the Uniden 536HP. It is substantially deaf on these frequencies. The Whistler TRX-2 is better--it probably misses about 20% of communications based on a comparison sitting side-by-side with a trooper in his vehicle. For the price difference in radios I can live with that.

My 536HP and 396XT both work great in NH south of the notches and in all the areas of Mass and Maine I've traveled to.

I wouldn't know what your talking about with great north (F) because I use my XTS5000 with the wideband antenna when I'm there which is about 80% of the time. I'm actually trying to help a friend who spends a ton of time in Maine, and mass, but not so much time in NH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garys

Premium Subscriber
Based on my trips to the area, I'd recommend the 996P2. That's based on your not looking to spend a ton of money. Otherwise, I'd recommend the 536HP which is decidedly NOT deaf on VHF. Or UHF for that matter. It is superlative on 800/900, but still very good on VHF and UHF.

The Maine MSCOMNET system is interesting to monitor. Although it's primarily a trunked VHF system, some, maybe many, of the talk groups are repeated on conventional analog and digital frequencies.

A good antenna is critical for monitoring either NH or ME. Probably VT as well, but I haven't had a scanner up there in some years.

Status
Not open for further replies.