Scanner for OKC Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue69

New to the area again and would like a scanner recommendation for local listening. I lived here in Oklahoma briefly and then moved to Maine(job transfer). Now my job has brought me back to the South OKC. I was just curious what everyone here is using scanner wise? I am in the market for a base radio. Would you recommend the BCT15XT or would you drop the money and go with the 996XT? I just don't know if digital is far enough in the future to go cheaper for now and see what the future brings digital wise or not? Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. I did ask this back in 2006 here and has been along time since I have been here and was seeing how much its changed since then.

Thanks

Resue69
aka
Rick

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Would you recommend the BCT15XT or would you drop the money and go with the 996XT?

Go to the DB for Oklahoma Co and look for talkgroups marked D. Don't think there are many. Of course, OCPD and OCFD are using ProVoice, so not much to listen to there ... but ... most of the OCPD divisions are patched to the State system. OCFD, not so much.

Look at the whole list ("List all in one table") and check the "D" channels. There are a lot more now than there were, say, 2 years ago.

A year ago, I would have said get the BCT15X and don't worry about it. Now, not as confident.

N5TWB

Generally speaking, when it comes to a technology buy of any kind (scanner, ham radio, computer, home video), I try to get all the tech I can get for the coin I have available for the project. If you have to make compromises due to budget, you can choose to wait/save up for what you really want or resolve to live with the compromise. In the case of digital vs. non-digital, it is a complicated choice because of limited digital transmissions yet more may be on the horizon.

I have a 996T but have never really used it on digital in the state of Oklahoma. I have done some in Texas as it is mounted in my truck. Given my location in the Tulsa Metro, if I were buying a new base scanner, I would go with the 15XT.

Status
Not open for further replies.