Scanner for Outagamie County?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I'm new here and would like to get some recommendations for a scanner to hear police, fire, etc.
Do I need capabilities of Phase 2?

MANY years ago I lived in the southern part of the state and the other day pulled out my old scanner only to find it is useless now! I learned a lot on here about the new P25 and know that my area is using P25 Phase 1 but is "Currently migrating". Does that mean migrating into Phase 2, or migrating into Phase 1?
Zip code 54915

Thanks for your help

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
According to the RR database, the Outagamie/Winnebago system is Project 25 Phase 1.

Outagamie/Winnebago County Public Safety System Trunking System, Varies, Wisconsin - Scanner Frequencies

The context that is being used means the Outagamie area is migrating from their conventional VHF and UHF systems to the Outagamie/Winnebago 800 Phase 1 trunked system.

Within the past couple of weeks, my son had some business at the Pierce fire truck facility in Appleton. He borrowed my 396XT scanner, which I programmed for this system, so he could listen to "stuff" while in the area.

Thanks for that fast reply! It looks like that one is more complicated than HomePatrol but I'm not opposed to learning. I do favor a unit that does not run on batteries alone foremost.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There's definitely a learning curve to new radio systems and for the scanners to monitor them. A whole lot has changed in the 45 years I've been listening to public safety communications. With you being astute enough to find this forum and ask the question you have, I'm sure you'll get the grasp of this stuff.

On the battery topic, the 396XT will do what you want. The AC adapter will power the scanner for listening. When the scanner is turned out, the AC adapter does a battery charging cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.