Scanner for Phase 1/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fielder3

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking about buying a Uniden BCD325P2 for listening to Oregon State Radio System, Salem area, and Portland Metro area. It looks like a good handheld scanner for basic listening. I'm not ready to shell out money for a SDS yet. My other option is a Unication G5.

Anyone else own one in Oregon?

juerling

I recently bought a BCD436. I am in Albany. I like the 436, however I can not pick up Salem PD and only one frequency on Marion SO. I get OSP and all other surrounding counties, including some in Washington and Clackamas County. So I think you need to make sure your location can actually pick up Salem frequencies. The transmitter antenna must be in a low spot.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I have a 325p2 and like it OK. I use it along with a GPS puck for location based scanning whenever I drive across the state. I wouldn’t say it’s useless for the OSRP system, but it is pretty annoying, as for some reason the volume for that system is way louder than any other. OSRP sounds very distorted too, especially the patched talk groups. There might be a setting somewhere that could help, I haven’t looked into it. I rather doubt it though. My BCD436HP does a little better with OSRP, and my Unication G5 actually does quite well with it. On the plus side the 325 is affordable, compact, and does well with analog systems and a ‘sort of passable’ job with phase I stuff like Portland. It’s a decent little radio for what it is.

Fielder3

Premium Subscriber
I bought and received a Uniden 996P2 which should do well on the State Radio Project system and WCCCA/CCOM 800 system. (Salem area, with a roof mount antenna) I will download the Freescan software for it and get it set up this week.

My first scanners were; Bearcat III base scanner 1977?, Regency handheld 4 channel scanner -1978, and a Bearcat 4-6 handheld crystal scanner -1980.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Does this look familiar? :) I've got this old relic still and it's sitting on the top of the piano underneath all kinds of Blu-ray and DVD discs :) I think it was 1978 when I got it. After that, I got me a Regency M100 programmable 16 channel scanner and believe it or not a 4 channel, crystal controlled handheld scanner from Sears. That was about 1980 when I got those last two and I still have the handheld stuck away in a drawer. The Regency scanner got stolen out of my car around 1983 when I was sixteen and stupid enough to leave it in the car overnight with a big CB antenna and magnetic scanner antenna on the roof. The handheld scanner I left on the roof of my Chevelle about a year or two later and it somehow stayed up there for about 10 or 15 minutes before I heard a sound of something hitting the road. I taped it together with electrical tape and it still worked. I still wonder who made that Sears handheld scanner? Those were the days :)

da8003dc3e1b41ea0c17574a7770706a.jpg
105492e7ab23a3ba70ab7121b5b77ffd.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

conqi15

I'm here in Eugene and I have had a lot of good luck with the Uniden SDS 100 and Uniden 996P2. I've tried a few radios included the PRO 668, Uniden 436, and Uniden 536. My experience here at my location has been spotty with those with the SDS 100 and 996P2 working really nicely. I noticed the same audio distortion issues on the OSRP System which can really cause all sorts of issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.