Scanner Frequency Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
HI all,
I am in the process of creating an Access database to store my frequency information, below are the groups I can assign each frequency too. I am looking for feedback on any I am missing or a better way to do it.

Paul

000/Ambulance
000/Fire
000/SES
27MHz CB
Airband
Amateur
Buses
Business/General
Communications
Councils
Couriers
Forestry
Manufacturing
Marine
Media/Broadcast
Mining
Security/Grounds
Shared (Rental)
StateGovement
Taxis
Transport/Works
UHF CB

w2xq

Mentor
Just a thought or two. Have you correlated your choice of user groups/categories with the classifications used by the Australian agency/agencies responsible for licensing frequencies? It might be useful later in life when you cross-check your database against federal updates or exchange information with others. The agency/agencies' database fields might also offer ideas for your database structure.

Another idea might to be bag the use of multiple fields for many user groups and try a different way. Just use one user group abbreviation field in the main table. Construct a separate table of user groups/categories. Two fields: abbreviation and the spelled out name. Populate it with the agency/agencies coding/abbreviation and the agency/agencies' descriptive names. In your main table, create a drop-down listbox to place the abbreviation in the main table. When constructing reports/listings the "group" table can be linked/included in the layout of the screen/page. Advantages? Makes data entry easier and less prone to typing errors; once a lookup table is created, you only have to validate/check the contents of the lookup table. The listbox on the main table form won't let one enter anything but a value from the abbreviation field in the lookup table.

You could also carry the idea of additional lookup tables for state abbreviations, city/town/district names and probably other fields for your main table.

As a longtime dBase and Access programmer back when, it was always beneficial for me to minimize/simplify data entry (and reducing typos) for the users inputting information. Sketch out the relationships on a paper, sleep on it, and try some different approaches. In the long run, I spent a longer time determining the database, tables, relationships and fields than I did in actual programming. I hate doing work twice... <grin>.

Hope this helps.

w2xq

Mentor
Another thought. Rather than paper-and-pencil, have you used any mindmapping software? I like Java-based FreeMind (available from SourceForge) that enables free-thinking and outputs to a 1/2-dozen formats. There are other versons of mindmap software out there too. Makes it fun in doing skull work on database, table and field definitions. HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.