Scanner Frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsbelax

I've been listening to scanners on and off since I was a little kid here in Phoenix and this has just got flat out frustrating...

Im a gearhead so I have to try the latest and greatest, bought the PSR500 a couple of years ago and have been listening to it for a long time, but the programming is killing me. I never really figured it out and received a file several years ago which is has very limited channels now (out - of - date).

Bought a Home Patrol so my wife can listen to it and would be super easy for her to use.... well I had the full database on there and locked to only scan the RWC for over an hour and did not stop one time on anything (squelch all the way down, att on then off, tried everything... diamond antenna). Thinking something might be wrong the HP since nothing on the RWC works... MCSO, Glendale and others are great, just RWC.

Was looking at returning the HP and getting the PSR800 ... any thoughst? good idea, bad idea. Looks like Im gonna have to finally set aside the time and learn the win500 programming too. Anyone willing to share a file for the Phoenix area I might be able to learn from on win500?

thanks in advance for any help..

JoeyC

I wouldn't trade anything for a PSR800 to listen to the RWC. I recently tried only to listen to the Scottsdale site, and got excellent reception while in the area of Indian School and Scottsdale Rd., yet was deaf and wouldn't pick up a thing a mere mile to the north.

Highpockets

I've been listening to scanners on and off since I was a little kid here in Phoenix and this has just got flat out frustrating...

Im a gearhead so I have to try the latest and greatest, bought the PSR500 a couple of years ago and have been listening to it for a long time, but the programming is killing me. I never really figured it out and received a file several years ago which is has very limited channels now (out - of - date).

Bought a Home Patrol so my wife can listen to it and would be super easy for her to use.... well I had the full database on there and locked to only scan the RWC for over an hour and did not stop one time on anything (squelch all the way down, att on then off, tried everything... diamond antenna). Thinking something might be wrong the HP since nothing on the RWC works... MCSO, Glendale and others are great, just RWC.

Was looking at returning the HP and getting the PSR800 ... any thoughst? good idea, bad idea. Looks like Im gonna have to finally set aside the time and learn the win500 programming too. Anyone willing to share a file for the Phoenix area I might be able to learn from on win500?

thanks in advance for any help..

Hopefully someone in your area will set you up with a file. In your free time :D here is a Guide that will help with win500 if you want to try to set one up for yourself.

WIN500 - UtahRadio

rsbelax

thanks for the link to the guide online, I'll have to look more into the psr800 since Joey said he has good luck with the RWC, seems like when I originally looked into it the store I went to said that they had some bugs that GRE wasnt addressing and thats why I went with the Home Patrol initially.

JoeyC

thanks for the link to the guide online, I'll have to look more into the psr800 since Joey said he has good luck with the RWC, seems like when I originally looked into it the store I went to said that they had some bugs that GRE wasnt addressing and thats why I went with the Home Patrol initially.

If anything I had HORRIBLE luck with the 800. The thing didn't pick up anything except in a couple block radius of downtown Scottsdale (on the Scottsdale site H). :evil:

Wish I had brought my 500 also to compare.

rsbelax

Joey.. thanks again for the input. I do see what your saying, I picked one up to try it out and side by side with the psr500 it is sad. not sure if there's something programmed wrong or what, but it is sad. I can take the antenna off of the psr500 and still pick up a decent amount of the Phoenix PD on the RWC while the psr800 gets nothing.

I messed around with the Uniden Home Patrol's antenna and finally got it to pick up, ironically with an old wilson 500 that i had laying around, now the home patrol runs side by side with the psr500.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Go out and get the RS 800 MHz antenna and see if that helps the Home Patrol work better. I'm genuinely curious because I really like the simplicity and overall design of the HP but I'm not dropping 5 bills on yet another Uniden that can't handle the RWC worth a damn.

-AZ

rwier

rsbelax;1664101................................................................... Was looking at returning the HP and getting the PSR800 ... any thoughst? good idea said:
If I can figure how to copy and zip a 500 file for Phoenix, I'll post it here.

The Hp-1 is a much different procedure. Don't throw it back in the lake yet, lol. I'll get to that later in the week.

Oh yea, what software do you have for the 500? Might help if I can match it. Oops, Win500, I see it now, lol.

Last edited:

rwier

If I can figure how to copy and zip a 500 file for Phoenix, I'll post it here.

The Hp-1 is a much different procedure. Don't throw it back in the lake yet, lol. I'll get to that later in the week.

Oh yea, what software do you have for the 500? Might help if I can match it. Oops, Win500, I see it now, lol.

Change dot txt to dot p500 and try to load into your radio with Win500. Wild try! lol

Last edited:

Quint6

from Queen Creek area the 800 is useless for the East Valley, Chandler, Scottsdale etc...
But pickups everything from the West Valley great, Surprise, Peoria, Buckeye Police depts
PHX FD Kdeck 9 comes super clear but nothing comes in from Chandler etc.........

rsbelax

rwier... thanks for the files, the win500 file is great, thanks! havent up;oaded the home partol one yet. Thanks again!

AZ Scanner.. the antenna that I am testing at the moment and seems to work good on the Home Patrol is a diamond right angle antenna (model rh789 ). So far it seems to pick up great from the downtown glendale area (around 47th ave and northern). Gonna see how it runs with this antenna for a couple of days, but seems to get the RWC (phoenix pd /fd, etc) no problem.
l'l update this one more time in a couple of days if anything changes good or bad. I wanna test out a mobile antenna that works great, have a Larson antenna now that works ok, just wanna get more range.

Quint6... i used to live in queen creek area (ironwoood & bella vista) a couple of years as well and listened to pinal county the whole time out there, never was able to receive phoenix metro stuff.. that was before these new uniden/gre toys I have now though. haha.

Lwolf1313

Queen Creek Area

I have the Pro 668 and can listen to Gilbert, Mesa, Apache Junction and Scottsdale so far. The use of a directional antenna pointed toward the simulcast site is needed in this area. I am currently using a corner reflector with 11.1 gain. I may upgrade to a yagi in the future. Can't get my GSR PSR-500 working for those cities except Scottsdale for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.