Scanner got wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay320

If this is in the wrong place or has been covered already I apologize.

I managed to drop my Pro 164 in a foot of water. It was only in the water a few seconds before I fished it out. I shut it off, took the batteries out, took the rear off and have been letting it air dry.

Any tips to improve its survival rate?

If worse comes to worse will Radio Shack replace it?

Thanks.

GTO_04

What kind of water did you drop it in? Fresh or saltwater? It makes a difference. If it was fresh water you may be able to dry it out and have it function.................if you're lucky.

No Radio Shack will not replace it. They will just tell you to buy a new one if it is beyond repair.

GTO_04

Hoofy

Just make sure it is totally dry before turning it back on.

I had my pro 96 laying on its side and a drop of lemonade went into the pc/if port and before I could shut it off it smoked one of the boards.

One of the guys around here lost his ham handi talkie in the fall and found it in the spring submerged in a puddle. Took it home dried it completely for a cople days and it is still working today.

Good luck,

Hoofy

rakerland

Ive dropped a few cell phones in water.....

Ive put them in a bag of dry rice. Ive heard that the rice will dry up the moisture. Ive done it for atleast 24 hours(with a cell phone).....maybe longer with the scanner

If it works for a phone, it should work for a scanner.....

Good Luck

kf4uuz

I'm betting that once you let it air dry thoroughly, your PRO-164 will power up and function perfectly.
You followed the correct procedure.

If it does not work, you can PM me.

Clay320

It was dropped in fresh water.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

pasadenamd

I was on a fire call yesterday and my scanner got drenched during the heavy rain. The sound was a little scrachy. I had to take it apart and dry everything out and it works perfect now.

Status
Not open for further replies.