scanner help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgaston2009

Premium Subscriber
I live in a small town and a mostly rual county...I'm a voulenteer fire as well..our fire and ems use low band vhf and just switched to narrow band..but are. The sheriff's office just switched to 800mhz and are surrounding counties use mostly 800 as well.....so if I want to listen to the 800 stuff and the narrow band do I need two differant scanners for this?
Thanks in advance

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
No. With most scanners, when the new ones come out they also do what the older ones did too. They just get more features and abilities. However I've noticed that the newer scanners don't seem to receive low band as well as the old crystal scanners did, like the one I had in 1977 when I was a volunteer.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I'm a voulenteer fire as well..our fire and ems use low band vhf and just switched to narrow band.. The sheriff's office just switched to 800mhz and are surrounding counties use mostly 800 as well.....so if I want to listen to the 800 stuff and the narrow band do I need two differant scanners for this?
No but you might have better results with a modern scanner, if you don't already have one. What model scanner are you using?

The issue with the narrow banded channels is they will sound quieter. However, over time, as new channels are implemented, you might get more interference because the scanner is looking at a wider channel than needed.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
No you do not need two scanners,one scanner like the Uniden Bearcat BCT15X or the Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT will do both bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.