Scanner help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbgday

Hey everyone

Im new to this site. Recommended as I need help with purchasing a scanner

Heres my situation.

I have a radio right now uniden sc230,. I use it strictly for listening in to planes and such. I like to sit at the calgary airport and spot planes and I go to cold lake alberta 2 times a year. I used to be able to listen in to the tower but I find it is getting weak. I added new batteries and a better antenna. I cant hear the calgary tower very well anymore.
Now i was sitting at the airport watching some cf18s take off and i could hear the tower just fine but could not hear the pilot and i havent been able to ever hear military.
BUUUT a guy in the car next to me could listen in no problem
I asked him how he was doing that and he told me i need uhv or ufv or something high frequency?
I dont understand lol.. i know nothing... i just like to listen in but dont know the technology behind it.

What would ytou guys recommend for being able to hear military? is it possible? and if so what scanners are capable.

Please help as exercise maple flag starts in 2 months

Thanks

Mat

SCPD

QRT
Most milair is on UHF. Sometimes the tower will simulcast on VHF along with UHF so other civil aircraft know what's going on.

mbgday

Most milair is on UHF. Sometimes the tower will simulcast on VHF along with UHF so other civil aircraft know what's going on.

So will I be able to get a scanner that can receive uhf?
Or is that somethinghing that gets Bblocked?

Thanks
Mat

mbgday

so i have done a little researching on my own
i have found alot of good scanners but the one that really stands out is the
gre psr500
this scanner has great ratings. it says its easy enough to use as a beginner and still fun for those who are advanced.
which would be perfect cause i have a little experience on the sc230 and would love to learn more

sounds like it picks up military too

what do you guys think

thanks

mat

nanZor

I think you would be much happier with the new Uniden BC125AT handheld. I just picked one up specifically for VHF and UHF milair - and it rocks. Quite frankly, the PSR-500 will do UHF milair, but it is not very sensitive on that band - mine sits unused mainly for that reason.

The new Uniden BC125AT would make a GREAT compliment to your existing SC230. You would feel at home pretty quickly with it. Interestingly enough, the 230 has features that the 125AT doesn't have, but the 125AT has a very decent sensitivity all around so military air isn't a problem. Audio is a treat, and is not hissy!

BTW, could you just have a bad antenna or bad jack on your sc230? What are you using for the antenna?

Last edited by a moderator:

eagleswings01

I hear civ air and mil air just fine on my PSR-310. That would be a decent choice for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.