Scanner Hobby and Your Wife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris0381

I also found out thru the states records dept. that my exwife has changed her name to RACQUEL SQUELCH

no respect no respect!!!

kikito

Premium Subscriber
kb2vxa said:
You guys state a great case for batchelorhood! An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of rat poison.

Actually, the only case I see stated every time is that selfish, inconsiderate people unwilling to compromise on anything, come in both sexes. ;) :)

How is it that some people stay happily married for decades and some people, especially Hollywood celebrities, can't even last 2 years before getting a bitter divorce? And then they blame it all on the opposite sex and/or marriage..... :roll:

Marriage is an abstract thing that you make work or not, so it's not the problem, PEOPLE are the problem....

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
thank you. my fiance doesn't like the radio on all the time, but she understands that the fire channel must stay on, since my dept. issued pager is selective about when it wants to work right. but i have a new bluetooth set up for the truck for our road travels. But there is light at the end of the tunnel, we were travelling over to Brenham the other day and she hears the distinctive muffled P25 voice sound on the BD785D and says to me "whoa, who's that talking in digital?" A tear crept down mine eye!!!

davidd2957

My wife knew that by marrying me, my scanners (wires and all) came with me. It did not take long before she got bit by that bug and the hobby is now enjoyed by all in the home.
I count my lucky stars, and say a Scanner Prayer every night before bed.
David D.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
You got to program your female

I think it's all how organized it is. I'm not being stereotypical, but women like clean. Most of the phillies in my stable have been neat freaks. They haven't minded my hobby (my alpha philly hates it) but if you keep equipment and wires straight and and the area is still useable by them, it's cool. If you've seen my desk, (in the show your shack forum) the radios are spread over several layers of shelf but if she needs to use that computer, it's clean and she can get there.

It's funny, my wife hates the hobby (as stated above) but I'm the one she calls when there's a fire truck or gaggle of cops rollin' code 3.

Hypocrite. LOL

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
And actually adding to my post, don't neglect your female for your radios. Be considerate of them and don't leave them on all the time.

scanjunkie

Putting an antenna on the roof just increases the volume of your wife...You put the antenna on the roof, the wife yells louder, and you can't hear the better reception. Just leave it as is and listen to what you can.

K9JLR

I'm not married but I wish more guys in the hobby would start growing a back bone and tell their wives or significant others how it's gonna be radio wise. You have a right to enjoy your hobby, it's a give and take thing. Don't let the drone of a significant other ruin your fun - tell her to sleep on the couch!:D

jrplmil

My wife likes it as much as I do but Keeping things neet is still important. Just take a little time and do a clean install and you should be fine.

scanjunkie

I was actually just teasing...my wife is an ex-firefighter so she is usually OK with it. If she's watching one of her shows, she may ask me to turn it down, but never off. She's a good egg!!

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
KB9TMA said:
I'm not married but I wish more guys in the hobby would start growing a back bone and tell their wives or significant others how it's gonna be radio wise. You have a right to enjoy your hobby, it's a give and take thing. Don't let the drone of a significant other ruin your fun - tell her to sleep on the couch!:D

I've got plenty of backbone. She's still gonna not like it but she'll deal with it. Marriage is lots of give and take. Mine's slowly comming around.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi again,

Just a few more comments from a graduate with a Batchelor's degree in applied Tsun psychology, the art of war as applied to marriage.

"How is it that some people stay happily married for decades..."
The "older generation" was raised with traditional morals, standards and values.

"...and some people, especially Hollywood celebrities, can't even last 2 years before getting a bitter divorce? And then they blame it all on the opposite sex and/or marriage.'
What do you expect from a bunch of undiciplined, spoiled brats that come from a generation lacking in traditional morals, standards and values with more money than brains?

"My wife knew that by marrying me, my scanners (wires and all) came with me."
There you have it, take me or leave me as I am, I do NOT fit your mold.

"It did not take long before she got bit by that bug and the hobby is now enjoyed by all in the home."
Same here, she not only picked up an avid interest in radio but her father bought a scanner, I programmed it and both parents ended up glued to it. Funny thing, he's much like I having the scanner and TV on at the same time and his wife never complains, sometimes the scanner goes LOUD over the TV and it's HER fingers on the knob!

"I'm not being stereotypical, but women like clean. Most of the phillies in my stable have been neat freaks."
Same here and so am I so we all got along fabulously.

"And actually adding to my post, don't neglect your female for your radios."
You da MAN! A bird in the hand is worth two radios in the bush, or is it a little monkey in the bush is worth a radio in each hand?
"Be considerate of them and don't leave them on all the time."
Radios or women? (;->) Actually it's best to switch off before she gets turned off.

"Putting an antenna on the roof just increases the volume of your wife..."
Would putting your wife on the roof increase the volume of an antenna? I don't know but at least it reduces the volume of the wife. Unfortunately the neighbors prefer the antenna.

"I'm not married but I wish more guys in the hobby would start growing a back bone and tell their wives or significant others how it's gonna be radio wise."
YEA BROTHER!
"You have a right to enjoy your hobby, it's a give and take thing."
True, unfortunately the wife thinks it's her job to give you grief and take your money.
"Don't let the drone of a significant other ruin your fun - tell her to sleep on the couch!"
And put the couch in the garage!

"I was actually just teasing...my wife is an ex-firefighter so she is usually OK with it."
Lucky you!
"She's a good egg!!"
Perhaps hard boiled with a dash of salt. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE them hard boiled with a dash of salt. Like Carlos Mencia said, "A woman who will throw a frying pan at you will f*** your brains out later!"

"Marriage is lots of give and take."
Yeah, he gives, she takes.

Pardon my cynicism but today's women seem to have the Nancy Sinatra Syndrome. "These boots are made for walkin', and that's just what they'll do. One of these days these boots are goona walk all over you." On the other hand John Wayne is dead.

N

N_Jay

The problem, is most of you are trying to handle a woman without the necessary information.

Everyone knows how important it is to read the "Material Safety Data Sheets" (MSDS) before handling anything with potentially unstable properties.

Well here it is, the Official MSDS for females;

Attachments

• hax%20mat%20sheet.gif
    hax%20mat%20sheet.gif
    15.8 KB · Views: 287

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
oritpro said:
After 25-years my wife simply just got used to all the wires, computers, and radio gear laying around the house; however, I am lucky in the fact that she likes listening to the radio just as much as I do.

This may or may not help but whenever my wife makes an unreasonable complaint, I offer to stop doing whatever it is that's bothering her if she stops doing __fill_in_the_blank__ that is bothering me. It's not quite as black and white as that but that is the general idea.

Personally, I am not reall big on hanging antenna's off the roof of my house so they are all mounted in the attic.

i have to agree here, you just have to constanly ignore her demands for you to stop buying radios and putting up antennas and she will eventualy give up. :p

i had to do it nice, no tower, or no huge antennas, i went with a chimney mount most and i have a ground plane scanner antenna, 2 beams 2m and 440mhz, and a 100ft wire antenna. i had to put them up one by one while she was at work, took her a week on the wire antennas, she saw the beam on day 1, i don't think she ever noticed the 2nd beam, heh, trying to put the 800mhz beam up next, but yea, be neat, i ran the wires through the roof into the atic and then through the ceiling into our storage closet and the the war to the back of my computer desk, so there are no wires anywhere, just the antennas, and the chimney mount is ok, she'd kill me if bought a tower, hehe, next house.... bigger back yard! ;-)

good luck guy! but mainly, yea, be neat, don't run it through a window or anything, i almost went under the house but that would have been an extra 20ft of coax, maybe 30ft.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
All good points made here.
We've been married for 2yrs, lived together for 3 before that. My radios and big stereo equipment were always part of the deal, just like her shoes, 3 closets full of clothing and 4 tupperware bins for each "season" of clothing.

When we were house hunting I showed her the areas where we could buy which would not require me to have a tower. Lucky for us there were many desirable areas with good "altitude" We ended up at 270'ASL which is saying something for Delaware! Hence, no tower needed. Just a chimney and vent pipe mounts.

Neat cabling from the roof into the walk up attic, neatly run conduit clamps, 3 antennas in the inaccesable attic (inaccessable to her anyway)
Run down the wall to a proper hole behind the desk and into the side of the desk where my patchbay resides.
See: http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27159&highlight=audiodave1

The back of my desk is 3 deep with 2" conduit clamps (1 row for power, 1-data/pc stuff, 1 Coax)

Keeping it neat and organized is the main thing. Keep the volume to a low rumble too.

Attached are the recent before and after pix to show what I did to get the ok for 2 new radios in the near future.

Most importantly, it's a hobby. Don't let it eat up all of the free time you both have.
Gotta have priorities,
My wife teaches so after 9:30 or so I have all the time I want to scan, she does tolerate me having a radio in the car during road trips and on vactions but the above rules still apply.

Dave

Attachments

• 3 of 3l.jpg
    3 of 3l.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 279
  • Image025.jpg
    Image025.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 259

cnmsales

KB9TMA said:

LMAO, typicall foder for someone unmarried. Try again.

oritpro

Audiodave1 said:
Most importantly, it's a hobby. Don't let it eat up all of the free time you both have.
Gotta have priorities,
My wife teaches so after 9:30 or so I have all the time I want to scan, she does tolerate me having a radio in the car during road trips and on vactions but the above rules still apply.

Dave

Yes..yes..yes...and WOW! Nice setup you have there :)

K3GI

My wife was very understanding about antennas, radios, and such. When I got my ham ticket she bought me my first hf rig. "Anybody who works that hard learning the code deserves a radio," she told me. She passed away 9 years ago.

My present wife knew the hobby comes with me and is accepting. She's just as interested in checking the scanner after the fire siren goes off as I am. And I bought her mother a scanner so she could know what's going on also.

Lee, K3GI

steve2004

N_Jay said:
The problem, is most of you are trying to handle a woman without the necessary information.

Everyone knows how important it is to read the "Material Safety Data Sheets" (MSDS) before handling anything with potentially unstable properties.

Well here it is, the Official MSDS for females;

Or like Albundy would say:

Peg: Why don't you ever rock me, Al?
Al: 'Cause I'd rather stone ya...

Attachments

• 0f3d19d0.jpg
    0f3d19d0.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.