Scanner Hobby and Your Wife

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnmsales

Heres a question for you ol timers who are married. I want to put some antennas on my house to maximize my hobby. However being married im always hearing about my wires and cords and hanging stuff on the house. Help please, how do I get around this. And no divorce isnt an option. :)

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I just got rid of the wife and kept the radios cause they were more interesting :cool: (Actually I left her because she cheated on me but I like the above reason better) :D But I know this is not an option for most....

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
You might consider doing a neater job on antenna installs. That way no one should say anything about "wires and cords and hanging stuff on the house." Even a wire dipole antenna can be put up neatly and it requires "hanging stuff". :lol:

red8

Well my wife is an understanding one, just as long as the work is done neat she's cool with that. If I was still married to my first wife
there would be some friction big time

oritpro

cnmsales said:
Heres a question for you ol timers who are married. I want to put some antennas on my house to maximize my hobby. However being married im always hearing about my wires and cords and hanging stuff on the house. Help please, how do I get around this. And no divorce isnt an option. :)

After 25-years my wife simply just got used to all the wires, computers, and radio gear laying around the house; however, I am lucky in the fact that she likes listening to the radio just as much as I do.

This may or may not help but whenever my wife makes an unreasonable complaint, I offer to stop doing whatever it is that's bothering her if she stops doing __fill_in_the_blank__ that is bothering me. It's not quite as black and white as that but that is the general idea.

Personally, I am not reall big on hanging antenna's off the roof of my house so they are all mounted in the attic.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi CNM and all,

If you've got wires and cords and stuff hanging off the house I wouldn't want to live there either, no neighborhood needs an eyesore. Clean up the mess and not only your wife but the neighbors will appreciate it too.

As for unreasonable complaints, the traditional "Me Tarzan, you Jane." approach works one way or another if you get my drift. No man need be saddled with a B unless your name is Harvey Milquetoast. "Yes dear." (Spoken in a whiny, nasal voice.)

Hey, ya gotta be as old (fashioned) as I to remember dear old Harv.

Chris0381

I had invested $20,000 in all my scanner/communication gear. I had scanners, antennas and wires all over the house and my wife hated it. She divorced me; and during divorce trial she took possession of the house along with all my equipment that she origionaly claimed as a reason for the divorce. Well I have since ended up in this tiny studio apartment with nothing but an ebay bought pro-97 scanner.

I just heard through the grapevine that my wife has now taken up the hobby herself and has used money from the divorce proceding to erect a 30' tower in the back yard (confirmed by a drive by) and has mounted a series of antennas on it.

Oh the humanity

grem467

I feel your pain, my exwife wanting nothing to do with radio till AFTER the divorce, now shes got her no code and is all over the repeaters.

N

N_Jay

Chris0381 said:
I had invested $20,000 in all my scanner/communication gear. I had scanners, antennas and wires all over the house and my wife hated it. She divorced me; and during divorce trial she took possession of the house along with all my equipment that she origionaly claimed as a reason for the divorce. Well I have since ended up in this tiny studio apartment with nothing but an ebay bought pro-97 scanner.

I just heard through the grapevine that my wife has now taken up the hobby herself and has used money from the divorce proceding to erect a 30' tower in the back yard (confirmed by a drive by) and has mounted a series of antennas on it.

Oh the humanity

File fraud charges.

It would seems that she purjured herself during the divorce proceedings.

Cuda61

Tell your wife that you want to put up a nice 25 foot flag pole with a new flag on.
Than install a Diamond D-130J Discone on top of the pole and tell her that the thing on top is to keep the birds from crapping on the flag if she ask's.

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My solution

My solution is easy---We both pay the mortgage--so the antennas/cables/ etc are on my side of the house!

johnvassel

My wife enjoys radios 'almost' as much as I. She has to. A gathering of myself and coworkers will result in numerous open squelched pagers, radios, scanners..etc. And everything stops when a good call comes in....
Usually there's some kind of something on in every area of the house. She gets a chuckle at night time when I *think* I've got everything off...and in comes a loud two-tone.
She chuckles because her and I both know I'll be getting up and shutting it off if I dont wish to sleep on the floor :)
She's actually awaiting the purchase and installation of a mobile scanner in the (her) car.
I'd snowballed her for years with the illegal speach, but now in Mi. it aint so illegal.
Your best bet is to somehow show her how the hobby can benefit her. Wonderin why mrs jones has that patrol car at her house 3 times a week? .. tell her you heard about it on the scanner..

john

N9JIG

Sheriff
You could do what I did: marry a deaf woman! She has never complained of the radios being too loud.

K9GTJ

cnmsales said:

I would hope your wife would know there are lots of things more important to worry about than a few wires and antennas.

I know my wife appreciates that I work hard but come home every day and am not spending my $$$ at the local strip club or stepping out with the some other woman. I treat her with kindness and resepct every day even when nobody else is watching. I provide for us very well and do what needs done from taking out the trash to taking care of her family's needs when her father past away without hesitation.

There are a million other idiot husbands out in the world and she never gives it a second thought to the little stuff I do. Of course I am ever so greatful to have her and I also don't get bothered by the things she does. (Well, there is this one cabinet full of insulated coffee cups that might need discussion but...)

Anyway, tell her to get over it. She could have married worse.

N3HCP

Premium Subscriber
My wife of 22 years still shakes her head and rolls her eyes every time I bring out the ladder, but that's about as far as it goes. The secret, at least for me, is to keep the antennas and especially the wires neat and professional looking. I've never had a complaint from either the neighbors or "She Who Must Be Obeyed".:D

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Chris0381 said:

Oh the humanity

Burn!

Just anouther reason for a pre-nup...

mciupa

Database Admin
cnmsales said:
I want to put some antennas on my house to maximize my hobby. However being married im always hearing about my wires and cords and hanging stuff on the house. Help please, how do I get around this ? :)

If attaching to the house is a no -go , perhaps you could consider rigging something up to a telescopic painting pole that you could secure to the ground.
Mount your antenna/e and raise them up when needed.
Sort of a comprimise for you , but shows that you are considering her feelings as well.:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.