Scanner illegal? in small store

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9GTJ

My comment about the law in Indiana which is similar makes each and every NASCAR and IRL fan with a scanner a criminal. It looks like even in Florida the company renting scanners at the track is violating the law.

mkh

cellblock776 said:
THAT'S BECAUSE MIDNIGHTCALLER HAS ALREADY SAID IT'S IN WASHINGTON FRILLING STATE!!! Can we stop discussing Florida laws now?

I know that but if you will read his last post he asked if there was one in Florida?

N

N_Jay

mkh said:
I know that but if you will read his last post he asked if there was one in Florida?

Maybe if this was started in the WA forum instead of the GENERAL SCANNING forum, people would not talk about other states?

n1das

midnightcaller said:
I was at my small downtown store in Lake Stevens. I had to buy some dog food the other day. I had some gal come up to me and told me" I was going to get arrested, because I had a police scanner and they where illega"l I had a hard time convincing her that they were not illegal and I could listen to the police and fire, but she did not really believe me

If it wasn't so late I might have been able to play some mond games with her
Midnightcaller

Was the gal that tried to "warn" you one of the store's employees or manager or just another customer in the store? You haven't done anything wrong, so don't worry about it or be intimidated by it. Whenever I walk into a store with my scanner or any radio equipment, I keep the volume down low so that it doesn't attract unwanted attention. I also try to avoid constantly fiddling with any radio on me for the same reason.

I had an experience with somebody asking me about my scanner just last night...I was eating a late night dinner with my g/f at Denny's restaurant in Nashua NH last night and I had my BCD396T scanner with me, listening to Nashua's TRS (800MHz Moto Type II, 3600 baud control, mixed-mode analog/P25). I had the volume down low so it wouldn't bother anybody else. My g/f and I are somewhat regulars there late at night as I work 2nd shift and I sometimes stop there to grab some food on the way home. The waitress (nice old lady) knows us and she asked me "Is that a police scanner????" I said "yes it is...I'm listening to Nashua area stuff.." She said "Cool! I used to listen to them years ago...but I heard you can't buy a police scanner anymore!" I told her "That's not true...you CAN still buy a scanner...this one is one of the new digital scanners...you need one of these to hear Nashua PD and FD on it." She was relieved and excited that YES YOU CAN still buy a scanner. She then asked me how much it cost and was somewhat sticker-shocked by the price when I told her. Digital scanners are still a bit expensive compared to the average cheap basic handheld scanner.

She was curious about the scanner and a good conversation between us came out of it. I've found that a little polite "education" can go a long way.

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

n1das said:
Was that gal that tried to "warn" you one of the store's employees or just another customer in the store? You haven't done anything wrong, so don't worry about it or be intimidated by it. Whenever I walk into a store with my scanner or any radio equipment, I keep the volume down low so that it doesn't attract unwanted attention. I also try to avoid constantly fiddling with any radio on me for the same reason.

I had an experience with somebody asking me about my scanner just last night...I was eating a late night dinner with my g/f at Denny's restaurant in Nashua NH last night and I had my BCD396T scanner with me, listening to Nashua's TRS. I had the volume down low so it wouldn't bother anybody else. My g/f and I are somewhat regulars there late at night as I work 2nd shift and I sometimes stop there to grab some food on the way home. The waitress (nice old lady) knows us and she asked me "Is that a police scanner????" I said "yes it is...I'm listening to Nashua area stuff.." She said "Cool! I used to listen to them years ago...but I heard you can't buy a police scanner anymore!" I told her "That's not true...you CAN still buy a scanner...this one is one of the new digital scanners...you need one of these to hear Nashua PD and FD on it." She was relieved and excited that YES YOU CAN still buy a scanner. She then asked me how much it cost and was somewhat sticker-shocked by the price when I told her. Digital scanners are still a bit expensive compared to the average cheap basic handheld scanner.

She was curious about the scanner and a good conversation between us came out of it. I've found that a little polite "education" can go a long way.

Yes, but was she cute? :twisted:

n1das

N_Jay said:
Yes, but was she cute? :twisted:

My girlfriend is a knockout. :D I won't comment about the old lady waitress. :D

I found that remaining calm and keeping it polite and professional at all times goes a long way to help calm people's fears that you might be someone that's up to no good. I'm curious if the gal in the store that said scanners are illegal and you're gonna get busted was a manager, another employee, or just another customer in the store. Probably somebody that is either totally uninformed or severely mis-informed, or both.

Last edited:

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
If you tell them it's a transciever and pull out a vintage Bendix/King brick, they usually shut up.

N

N_Jay

n1das said:
My girlfriend is a knockout. :D I won't comment about the old lady waitress. :D

Cute, and she lets you take her to Denny's? Wow!:lol: :twisted: :lol:

elk2370bruce

n4voxgill said:
it is illegal to have a scanner in a vehicle or business in some places. Here is the Florida law that prohibits possession in a business or vehicle and it is a felony.

843.16 Unlawful to install or transport radio equipment using assigned frequency of state or law enforcement officers; definitions; exceptions; penalties.--

(1) A person, firm, or corporation may not install or transport in any motor vehicle or business establishment, except an emergency vehicle or crime watch vehicle as herein defined or a place established by municipal, county, state, or federal authority for governmental purposes, any frequency modulation radio receiving equipment so adjusted or tuned as to receive messages or signals on frequencies assigned by the Federal Communications Commission to police or law enforcement officers or fire rescue personnel of any city or county of the state or to the state or any of its agencies

I would be mad as hell if someone drove through my store - with or without the scanner.
No-where in this Florida Law does it prohibit walking with the scanner. The reference quoted above, therefore, has no bearing to this scanhead walking into the store with his radio on. Many of us would not have a job if people actually acted with some rational consistency. I just would not frequent the store any further and take my business elsewhere.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
unless the scanner can walk by itself i think that someone would have to be transporting it while it moves through the store. outside of a business establishement you can walk with it all you want.

p71ford

10-95 said:
I would not even waste my time. I would have ignored her kept on walking. Actually, I might have said "Oh , you better run and call the police!" "Run Forrest, Run!"

oh man thats a good burn

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Mid and all,

Never mind all the legal discussion, can't you think on your feet? I would have held up the can of dog food and looked at it, looked at her, looked back at the can, looked back at her and said "UH HUH" and walked away. She'd get the message, we all know one picture is worth a thousand words beginning with the letter B.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Good God.

I've dealt with my share of loons too, threatening to call the police on me. I just shrug and say "well, do it then" as I keep walking along down the aisle or whatever. I don't need to explain myself to an ignoramus like that.

I especially enjoy listening to the radio system inside Wal Mart - that's better than any police channel while strolling thru THAT store. :D

SCPD

QRT
I have had much the same issues here in Australia where scanning is 100% legal.

I have found the best way is to explain what you are doing, if people wnat to call the cops they can, they are powerless in public spaces.

As far as shops go, being private property the owner has the right to control what is allowed to happen, if you are in a shop and they want you to turn it off you have to.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
tanger32au said:
As far as shops go, being private property the owner has the right to control what is allowed to happen, if you are in a shop and they want you to turn it off you have to.

No you don't. You can leave, taking your business and money elsewhere. I'm sure if you flashed some cash and said "well, I guess I can go spend this somewhere else" they'll calm down about that scanner real fast.

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.