Scanner In Car/Truck..

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0QNB

Brian think dude, I did a google search for scanner laws Arkansas, and found a few links that say it is legal to have a radar detector, a mobile scanner and a mobile ham radio capable of receiving "scanner" frequencies.
These are unofficial sites, do a search of Arkansas law and find you for sure it is is legal.
It gets better, look at this
and query for radio scanner, it appears that there is no issue at all if you are a licensed amateur radio operator.

Last edited:

pappy1

It is legal to have a scanner in a vehicle in Arkansas

5-36-307. Scanners not prohibited.
The provisions of this subchapter shall not be construed to prohibit the possession or use of a police scanner or an emergency scanner available to the general public.

5-60-120. Interception and recording.
(a) It is unlawful for a person to intercept a wire, landline, oral, telephonic communication, or wireless communication, and to record or possess a recording of the communication unless the person is a party to the communication or one (1) of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to the interception and recording.
(b) Any violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(c) (1) It is not unlawful for the act to be committed by a person acting under the color of law.
(2) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) of this section that an officer, employee, or agent of a public telephone utility or company that is licensed by a federal or state agency to provide wire or wireless telecommunication service to the public provides information, facilities, or technical assistance to a person acting under the color of law to intercept a wire, wireless, oral, or telephonic communication.
(3) It is not unlawful under this section for an operator of a switchboard, or an officer, employee, or agent of any public telephone utility or telecommunications provider whose facilities are used in the transmission of a wire communication to intercept, disclose, or use that communication in the normal course of his or her employment while engaged in any activity which is a necessary incident to the rendition of his or her service or to the protection of the rights or property of the telecommunications provider or public telephone utility of the communication.
(d) The provisions of this section do not apply to a:
(1) Telecommunication service offered by a telecommunications provider or public telephone utility; or
(2) Federal Communications Commission licensed amateur radio operator.
(e) Nothing in this section shall be interpreted to prohibit or restrict a Federal Communications Commission licensed amateur radio operator or anyone operating a police scanner from intercepting a communication for pleasure.
(f) Consistent with the provisions of 18 U.S.C. § 2703, as it existed on January 1, 2003, the issuance of a court order for disclosure of a customer communication or record to a governmental entity requiring the information as part of an ongoing criminal investigation is not prohibited by the laws of this state.
(g) Consistent with the provisions of 18 U.S.C. §§ 3122 — 3127, as they existed on January 1, 2003, the issuance of a court order authorizing or approving the installation and use of a pen
register or a trap-and-trace device as part of an ongoing criminal investigation is not prohibited by the laws of this state.

Last edited:

btritch

So, What it's saying is it's NOT illegal to have one but it IS illegal to record what goes over the air, Right?

I had asked about 15 years ago when I first started driving, I asked the Police Chief about this then and he told me know, It was not illegal but that was pre 9/11, I knew a lot changed so I wanted to make sure again, I emailed the Police Chief again this time but have not heard anything from him, Probably won't until Tomarrow or Monday but you guys answered my question here for me, Thanks again! I know I'm legal still if I get pulled over, I don't intend to but know how that goes, lol.. Thanks Pappy 1 for the explanation, It was helpful..

KC0QNB, I was thinking, Just not straight, My great grandma is in bad shape and could go at anytime...My mind is there, Not here, Sorry 'Bout that.. Please forgive me, LOL
Glad the radar detectors legal, Got that too! LOL

Last edited:

KC0QNB

Ok Brian, you are lucky to have any grandparents left, my last one died a few years ago at 100 1/2 graduated from high school in 1918, which was a real rarity in those days.

btritch

This is my Great Grandmother, My Grandma's Mom, They just gave her a blood transfusion wednesday, Two bags, and it's already about gone.. They told us today it could be any day now.. My grandma on my moms side, Her first husband died before I was even born, The last one in '06, My grandma is almost 75 and she still gets around great... Healthy.. My other grandma on my dad's side, Her husband which was my original grandpa died in '00. My grandma is still getting around good to just have had her 85th birthday yesterday... She has a little trouble but does get around good to be that old... That's all I've got... My mind has been roaming tonight, That's why when you said that about searching it never hit me, I did go back and do it after you mentiond it and I too found few but promising results, Like I said, I have also contacted the Police Chief to make sure but from what I'm seeing it should be ok, Pappy1 says so and I think he used to be with a pd so I guess he'd know.. LOL

Thanks Again!

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
pappy1 has it right......

I carry a copy in my vehicles along with my registration & proof of insurance.

Most cops around my neck of the woods prolly don't know - or could care less - that it's not illegal. :confused:

Ya gotta stay one step ahead of'em around here...... :cool:

Attachments

• AR scanner law.pdf
    10.7 KB · Views: 193

N7YUO

Carrying a scanner will get the cops attention

When I was a young man, the cops gave me the third degree whenever I got stopped and they saw a scanner. "He must be up to something" was their attitude. "Run this guy on city, county, state, NCIC, and Triple-I" After 45 minutes of interrogation and hassle, I get my well-deserved speeding ticket and go on my way. I learned how to conceal my (non portable) scanner. I had a hidden kill switch also.
Now that I'm in my fifties, the cops don't seem to care if the old geezer is carrying a scanner.
Bottom line is: if you are young, a scanner gets the cops attention.

btritch

I carry a copy in my vehicles along with my registration & proof of insurance.

Most cops around my neck of the woods prolly don't know - or could care less - that it's not illegal. :confused:

Ya gotta stay one step ahead of'em around here...... :cool:

Not a bad Idea, I think I'll do that AND print a copy of the letter I got from the PD saying that it wasn't illegal, Just in case... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.