Scanner in Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
What kind of antenna would I get (what's the best one) for a car and I don't want to pay a fortune. Also, how would I connect it to my portable scanner? Thanks so much!

Well if your jeep has glass windows you can buy a suction cup antenna that you can attach to the window inside or outside of the jeep then attach a rubber duck antenna. You can buy a through the glass window antenna then mount it that way. When you remove it you just use some nail polish remover to remove any sticky residue.

freqs

Well if your jeep has glass windows you can buy a suction cup antenna that you can attach to the window inside or outside of the jeep then attach a rubber duck antenna. You can buy a through the glass window antenna then mount it that way. When you remove it you just use some nail polish remover to remove any sticky residue.
Dont take it the wrong way but what is the point of getting a suction cup antenna and use it on the inside of the truck its the same thing as useing the duck on the radio plus the loss you will get from that coax.As well the thru the window glass mount antennas are junk I have used them .just stick with the antenna that is on the radio .

cfr301

Dont take it the wrong way but what is the point of getting a suction cup antenna and use it on the inside of the truck its the same thing as useing the duck on the radio plus the loss you will get from that coax.As well the thru the window glass mount antennas are junk I have used them .just stick with the antenna that is on the radio .

Your glass mount comment is NOT entirely accurate, before I retired I had a Dept Radio in my Truck that has the glass mount on it, I was able to hit our county repeater from 40 miles away with a 50 Watt mobile radio, also hit repeaters of surrounding counties at close to or greater than the same distance. It depends on what antenna you get, get a cheapo get cheapo results, buy good equipment get good results.

freqs

Your glass mount comment is NOT entirely accurate, before I retired I had a Dept Radio in my Truck that has the glass mount on it, I was able to hit our county repeater from 40 miles away with a 50 Watt mobile radio, also hit repeaters of surrounding counties at close to or greater than the same distance. It depends on what antenna you get, get a cheapo get cheapo results, buy good equipment get good results.
Well the antenna you had used for a mobile 2 way is far better than a glass mount scanner antenna and he is looking for a cheap antenna .so that is why I told him the glass mount scanner antenna is no good .but you are correct cheapo gets cheapo .

BonziBuddy

driveway poser

You aren't willing to drill holes into your JEEP?

you don't sound like a Jeep owner to me.

DickH

I appreciate all of the help! I don't know whether I should just stay with my one portable scanner and bring it with me in the car and then when I am home bring it inside - would it be easier to just get a regular base scanner for my car?

Since Morris County is in the 470MHz range the Radio Shack 800MHz antenna won't work any better than the antenna already on the scanner.
The window glass will not impede radio waves unless it is tinted.

I do it as shown below with good results. Remove the belt clip and put on some Velcro, with matching Velcro in your Jeep.

40547826.jpg

40547839.jpg

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i bought the diamond antenna (portable) for my 106, use it in the house and the truck, works great, there is no way i'd put an external antenna on my truck unless it was a glass mount, which i do have on another truck i own. It works pretty good too. I was picking up vhf stations last night with the diamond on my 106 that were two counties away from where i was, if that gives you any idea.

My 106 was sitting in the console cup holder of my 2006 f-150.

There are so many marc's towers around here that picking them up was great as well, i was listening to findlay osp in st marys ohio, on marcs.

Happy thanksgiving

rick

heres the truck, i own a plowing business, 3 trucks.. And a fuzzy shot of my 106
drill your truck rick.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
I have the Pro 106 and a Pro 96. I just use the stock antennas for both while mobile and they work great. I have a Uniden BCT 8 in my car and my Jeep Cherokee and I'll tell you what, sometimes the 106 and 96 outperform the BCT8's reception. And both Unidens are connected to mag mount scanner antennas.

73's Chad

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to everyone for your help! What I want to do is hear my dispatch channel which is conventional while I am a couple miles out of town. I have a pager (I am an EMT) but it doesn't get reception too well (if at all) if I am 7 + miles away from my town. How would I be able to hear my dispatch channel from far away with the stock antenna on my Pro-106? If there is a way, please tell! :) Thanks!!!!!!

freqs

You can not pick up you dispatch 7 miles away on you 106 or your pager ???? you should be able to what is the freq or system and city you are trying to pick up or should I say what is your dispatch freq

Last edited:

freqs

?? not sure but you should pick up low band good .I can pickup a low band dpw 10 mile away double check the freq your dispatch uses maybe try the EMS dispatch freq 45.1200 someone might have a better idea sorry .but if your pager picks it up your 106 should .try 1hdrdr said a good low band mag mount . iam not from your area so its only thing's i would check myself

Last edited:

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
I started taking my Pro-106 in my car with me and I put it in the cup holder. It works pretty good so far - would this be a good way to listen in my car or do you have any other reccommendations? I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty and I don't want to mount anything - I get pretty good reception with the rubber duckie. The thing I am wondering about is if there is a way to plug it in to a cigarette lighter so I don't need to bring batteries with me everytime I choose to listen to it in my car. I use the Pro-106 in my house as well. I am looking to get a case for the scanner but what I want is a mount for a portable scanner that doesen't get in the way. I don't like the idea of keeping my scanner in my cupholder lol. I use my rubber duckie when I am in the car and I use my RH77CA Diamond antenna in my house.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
***update: I think what I am going to do is use my conventional Pro-79 scanner - I don't need to hear police (which is on trunking) in my car - all that really matters to me is my dispatch channel and other frequencies around me. Is there a good way to mount my Pro-79 in my Jeep? Should I use the stock antenna or put a mag mount antenna up? And how should I power it?

Thanks! :)

freqs

I have my pro96 and pro106 in the car every place I go I just clip it on the sun visor with the belt clip on the radio .I use a rubber duck 800 mzh antenna on the radio .Clipping it on the visor I can grab the radio quick it wont fall out of the cup holder onto the floor .Under the gas or brake pedal.And I can hear it real good or if Iam in the truck I have a pactch cord and run it to the mp3 jack so it plays thru the stereo.

Status
Not open for further replies.