Scanner in car

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4SYW

I have a handheld analog scanner and I was wondering if I can listen to it in my car using the "rubber duck" antenna it came with or if I need to purchase an external antenna.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Your handheld scanner should receive just fine using your duck antenna for local traffic, but for anything distant a removable magnet mount antenna would suffice.

n9zas

W6KRU

The antenna required and the location of it will depend on your expectations. The rubber duck antenna is not your best option and inside the car is not a very good location. They could both work well though if you only need to receive 800MHz in a metro area.

What are trying to monitor and what are the surroundings like?

KK4SYW

The antenna required and the location of it will depend on your expectations. The rubber duck antenna is not your best option and inside the car is not a very good location. They could both work well though if you only need to receive 800MHz in a metro area.

What are trying to monitor and what are the surroundings like?

I am trying to monitor my local police, fire, and 2 meter ham radio frequencies. Surroundings are some mountains.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
I would go with an external antenna. I too, am using a handheld in my truck while my mobile is getting programmed. I am using the external antenna and picking up transmissions from 20 miles away (uhf). I would say take the time and put one in. If and when you decide to get yourself a mobile, the antenna is already there. KEvin

W6KRU

I agree with the dispatcher. It sounds like you should go with an external antenna to optimize your scanner's range.

lindsay34654

JUst remember one this, does your state allow the use of a scanner in your car? If the answer is no then you are better off with the hand held with the rubber duck. Less chance of being hassled.

ridgescan

yeah but there aren't "antenna police" out there looking for "scanner antennas" per se:D
a scanner antenna could be assumed to be a ham antenna first before that-they would have to actually eyeball the scanner in the car.

lindsay34654

This is true but I have been stopped several times here at check points and also random stops where they have noticed the scanner mobile in the car. and was told that if it was a hand held with the rubber duck they would not have bothered me. In Florida it is a $500.00 ticket for having it in your car. You never know what a cop is going to do. I have been to some states where they did not care that I had a ham ticket. Remember there are a lot of Barney Fifes out there

DickH

I have a handheld analog scanner and I was wondering if I can listen to it in my car using the "rubber duck" antenna it came with or if I need to purchase an external antenna.

Why don't you try it with the rubber duck and see how it works? Only you can find out how it works in your car in your area and only you can decide if you want to buy and install an external antenna.

ridgescan

This is true but I have been stopped several times here at check points and also random stops where they have noticed the scanner mobile in the car. and was told that if it was a hand held with the rubber duck they would not have bothered me. In Florida it is a $500.00 ticket for having it in your car. You never know what a cop is going to do. I have been to some states where they did not care that I had a ham ticket. Remember there are a lot of Barney Fifes out there
sounds like you get pulled over way too much there. I'm 51 and haven't gotten pulled over here for 26 years and have always had a scanner in my vehicles. But your point is well-taken.
Hard to find many good things to say about California these days, but at least we aren't hassled for mobile scanners.
Yeah and there are some uptight cops around here too. Hell I even had a Bearcat 10-crystal scanner in my GTO when I was 18 and when I got pulled over in Pacifica by a cop, the 1st thing he asked me was "what's with the scanner?" I told him I love listening to you guys I have one at home too and I'm into radios. He actually smiled and cut me loose with a warning (I opened her up at the beginning of the 55mph zone right where he sat-he could've gotten me for exhibition)

Why don't you try it with the rubber duck and see how it works? Only you can find out how it works in your car in your area and only you can decide if you want to buy and install an external antenna.
the best advice is the most practical:)

Status
Not open for further replies.