scanner in vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Middleville

Planning to spend some time in Missouri next month.
Can anyone tell me if it's legal in Missouri to use a scanner while driving my vehicle? (I don't have a Ham license)

Thanks,

BaLa

Should be legal in most places..

I read something on here once about some people having issues in KC, Independence, or somewhere up there.

I used to live in Misery and always had two scanners in my car, never once had a problem.

sphipps

I've had scanners in my cars for years in Missouri and never a problem... and that's even when I've been pulled over a time or two with the scanners receiving the cop's transmissions back to his dispatcher in direct view.

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
Kansas city, Mo. Ok No Scanner in cars, ok for hand helds - go figure.
Independence, Mo. NOT AT ALL unless you have you ham license with you at all times.
go to www.stormwaring.8m.net and click on scanner laws. it have the local laws written down.

mjthomas59

kc0vgj said:
Kansas city, Mo. Ok No Scanner in cars, ok for hand helds - go figure.
Independence, Mo. NOT AT ALL unless you have you ham license with you at all times.
go to www.stormwaring.8m.net and click on scanner laws. it have the local laws written down.

You provided a bad link, or atleast when i click on it it takes me to a website where i can buy that domain.

Scanner laws are tough because while there may be no state statute prohibiting them(like is the case in Missouri) that doesn't mean that cities and counties can't make up their own ordinances and enforce them however they see fit. That being said i've gone through Kansas City, MO many times with the scanner that is "permanently" mounted in my vehicle and a big 5/8wave VHF antenna on the trunk and never have had an issue.

I guess it is just one of those things, where if there is nothing else to do the LEO may stop you, or if it is that certain LEO who has made it his own personal mission to enforce that particular law then you will be stopped. That being said we never once went over scanner laws in the academy other than to conclude that you can't use them to aide in the commission of another crime(which as far as i know is goes for all 50 states). Thankfully i'm not aware of any cities on the eastern side of the state who have any stricter laws in place.

Also, leaving your scanner on while you are being stopped isn't a very bright idea. Every LEO is different, but i've got to tell you that if i wasn't 100% certain on whether i was going to give someone a ticket this would certainly seal the deal. A person leaving their scanner on is #1 a distraction to me and #2 a sacrifice to my safety. There is nothing "cool" about hearing your own information run over the air, so i really don't see why people would think that was an "ok" thing to do. Just because things are "legal" doesn't always make them "right".

Last edited:

Middleville

Thanks, everybody for your responses to my question about using a scanner in my vehicle. Sounds like as long as I'm just using common sense while out on the road, I should be fine. Just gonna be in the state a few days, exploring some of the old Route 66, what's left of it anyway.
always like to take the pro-97 and the CB along to keep up with what's going on around us.

btritch

Middleville said:
Thanks, everybody for your responses to my question about using a scanner in my vehicle. Sounds like as long as I'm just using common sense while out on the road, I should be fine. Just gonna be in the state a few days, exploring some of the old Route 66, what's left of it anyway.
always like to take the pro-97 and the CB along to keep up with what's going on around us.

This is how I look at it, AS long as you're obeying the law, Don't give them any reason to stop ya, no reason to pull you over, keep it out of plain view from the road, In case you DO get pulled over, Slide it under the seat without them knowing, Done that many times, But I agree, As long as you act responsible and don't show ignorance and obey the law and they have no reason to pull you over, You should be ok, If you come upon a checkpoint etc, Hide it quickly, I have done this, it will work, LOL, Just a little advice, LOL, Take it or leave it, Just use CAUTION if you take it with you, ALWAYS, Legal or not! LOL

Gumbo

Middleville said:

I'm also be visiting at the end of the month to meet a buddy from California halfway and visit with some of his family there.

A very timely thread. I had the same question.

I'll be staying in Kansas City, KS and we'll be eating BBQ in Kansas City, MO.

I put in the Kansas City, MO EDAC trunk system in the scanner. I hope that's sufficient for Fire/PD/Emergency.

I'm also bringing my gmrs unit (w/license) in case I need to reach out and touch the locals.

Only hoping it's not fire hot outside!

Andy

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
there are only two towers for the gmrs but most of the time there off. the kcmo pd/fd/ems/ basicly every one is on this system. Independence is on 700 system.

Gumbo

kc0vgj said:
there are only two towers for the gmrs but most of the time there off. the kcmo pd/fd/ems/ basicly every one is on this system. Independence is on 700 system.

I'm looking at Independence and it's proximity. I have a RS Pro97 and a Uniden 396T.

The 396T does 700 trunking I don't think. What scanner do you use?

Nods and thanks about the gmrs. Can't hurt to have one if we get trapped in a storm cellar after a tornado.

Why did I think of that? ;) At least you can see them coming (usually). Not like earthquakes.

Best,

Andy

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
if your scanner can do p25 system then you can program it. GMRS kid use it as a toy. but not ,many license user here still use it as much.

Gumbo

kc0vgj said:
if your scanner can do p25 system then you can program it. GMRS kid use it as a toy. but not ,many license user here still use it as much.

You're thinking of FRS. Kids in malls.

Did you text message your post? Your spelling is atrocious!

Check the ZA radio licenses at the FCC sometime. You know not of which you speak.

Some of us don't mind paying for the priviledge to use isolated radio frequencies.

Andy

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
On my web site someone post the informationt for me. I have talked to the person to check there spelling. Here in the metro area kids use the radio shack and walmart 22 channel radio and there not licensed. Yes i know there are a few operators registered as gmrs op. I am too, WQAR865, My uncle is KAF2106. But ther only two repeater on the air. 462.625 witch is a closed repeater and 462.700 pl100.0 witch is the south side repeater in kansas city. this is open to any one.

Please don't judge people on there spelling or grammer. I lived in this area, I pass my ham test, I registered my GMRS, And i gather my information in person or on the phone for the city laws. I also pay for my site every year. So yes my spelling may su@# and my grammer my be crummy by my knowlged is true.

Take a scanner and program the GMRS frencies and listen here in the metro and you will here kids yelling and sceaming and having fun. to help you here a list of frequencies:

"550" 462.550 MHz
"575" 462.575
"600" 462.600
"625" 462.625
"650" 462.650
"675" 462.675
"700" 462.700
"725" 462.725
----------------------------------------------
List of equipment:
Kenwood TK-800 V.1 & V.2
Motorola Radius M1225 & P1225
Alinco DR365T
Maxon SP340
PRO-97
Uniden BCD396T V.2 Trunktracker IV
------------------------------------------------
Call Letters:
KC0VGJ - Ham Radio
WQAR865 - GMRS Radios
Unit "420" - Fire Department

Last edited:

commstar

Premium Subscriber
This is how I look at it, AS long as you're obeying the law, Don't give them any reason to stop ya, no reason to pull you over, keep it out of plain view from the road, In case you DO get pulled over, Slide it under the seat without them knowing, Done that many times,

On the matter of what to do when stopped.I would tend to agree with about 99.9% of btritch' comments in the post- except- DON'T shove it under the seat 'without them knowing'. I assure you even if you practice this you will never be better than the attentive patrolman.

In the trade this is the most common furtive movement around and WILL get you searched quicker than anything else. Recruits are taught to watch for this at the academy and you continue to hone this skill throughout your career (many recruits get 'blown away' in role playing and get the message).

These days cops are under huge scrutiny and if they search you based on this movement, find the radio or whatever, they will often feel compelled to take some official action that would tend to justify their actions/reasons for searching you in the event you decide to complain to their bosses.

This simple 'innocent' move could potentially get you shot in the confluence of a series of the wrong circumstances. I would encourage you not to do it. Mistakes do happen in the most unexpected ways.

I might have a jacket or something sitting on the seat next to me to cover the radio or just act like the thing is invisible and let him/her bring it up. But I would not let the copper see my shoulders dip to dump something under the seat. Not a good move in my view.

ALL cops are watching you long before the lights come on and will be watching you for your reaction to the lights and for such movements. He/She is worried about booze, dope, and guns but you really cannot tell what you just put under the seat from 40ft off your rear bumper.

So, if he/she sees this they already have in their mind that you are a squirrel trying to hide a nut and therefore a criminal. It also shows consciousness of guilt and can/likely will be used against you.

I agree you should not do anything stupid to attract attention but ignorance CAN work in your favor here especially because there is no state law and you are from out of town.

It is my opinion based on experience that most cops find candid honesty refreshing and if any breaks were to be cut or goodwill would be garnered it would be more likely in a completely forthright situation vs. trying to get your 'law abiding citizen' jacket back on after the fact. . Your call, enjoy your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.