scanner interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerman200

Premium Subscriber
I have two scanners going on one outside antenna & when a frequency comes in, you can hear a ticking noise because the other scanner is scanning. Is their a way to fix this? If both scanners are stopped on a frequency, the noise is not heard.

jim202

This is why they make receiver antenna couplers. There is a band pass filter, an inline amp and a
power devider to provide an isolated output for each receiver port. Only problem with them is that
they are not cheap and generally only made for one band. They normally don't cover all 3 bands
of the VHF, UHF and the 800 segment at the same time.

You can find multi output, in line amps with multiple outputs. Problem with these, is that any
strong signal will normally cause the amp to saturate and cause intermod or image issues.

Jim

I have two scanners going on one outside antenna & when a frequency comes in, you can hear a ticking noise because the other scanner is scanning. Is their a way to fix this? If both scanners are stopped on a frequency, the noise is not heard.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Use a splitter

I see this is a duplicate thread :(

You can't use just a "T" and expect things to work correctly.

I am using some very good quality (cable) TV splitters with great results. The splitters can pass at least 5 MHz to 900 MHz. I've got one here designed for use with DSS installations that goes higher, but the 5-900 more than suits my needs.

The big issue when using TV splitters is that they use F connectors. In one case I made cables with an F on one end and BNC on the other. In another case I just used some F-BNC adapters.

As mentioned, another option is a multi-coupler. If you're going to connect more than 2 scanners to the same antenna, they just about become necessary in order to overcome signal loss (a 4 way split would only provide 25% of the signal to each scanner). You can purchase them at ScannerMaster (see link at top of the page), but they will bring with them a new host of problems. Especially if you are near any other transmission tower (like cell phones, pagers, broadcasters, etc).

K

kb0nly

I use a two port drop amp from eBay, brand new PCT model for $20. Some F to BNC adapters and a couple cables i made up and all good.

Nothing but great results so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.