Scanner Investment?

KI5NGG

I’m a closet Ham guy from Bandera but don’t own a scanner and haven’t used one since I was with a VFD in the 80s. My wife wants one to listen to the local happenings and for emergencies so I was researching different models and went down the pig-trail of phase 2 roll-outs and encryption… I thought two-way was confusing, but scanning takes it to a whole different level I guess.

Anyway, I’m a bit nervous to buy a scanner and have it be obsolete in a few months. I have enough paperweights so was looking for dome advice from some people in the know. Are scanners still worth buying?

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Without a lot of fanfare, yes scanners are still worth it…IMHO!
that said Bandera Co is on a P25 system that can be monitored by a scanner…if they have moved off the unmonitorable Open Sky system by now! Additionally the DB notes the sheriffs office does their main dispatch with encryption! As well part time encryption on other channels and county fire, a roadblock to hearing what’s going on…
So you’ll be limited in what you can hear, but still might stumble across a few nuggets of interesting comms!
Hopefully a local down your way will chime in with more first hand info!

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Unless they were to implement encryption nation wide very quickly in one fell swoop, you'd always be able to sell it to someone, somewhere and recoup around 80% of your initial investment. You'd have the use and enjoyment over time. Not too risky IMHO.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Back when I bought my GRE and RS radios, they were an investment as I have been a storm spotter for many years. Now they are a gamble as the newer technologies take over. My area is still mostly open, but our sheriff is retiring and things could change quickly.

Fireman4404

Premium Subscriber
Without a lot of fanfare, yes scanners are still worth it…IMHO!
that said Bandera Co is on a P25 system that can be monitored by a scanner…if they have moved off the unmonitorable Open Sky system by now! Additionally the DB notes the sheriffs office does their main dispatch with encryption! As well part time encryption on other channels and county fire, a roadblock to hearing what’s going on…
So you’ll be limited in what you can hear, but still might stumble across a few nuggets of interesting comms!
Hopefully a local down your way will chime in with more first hand info!
To clarify…
The only entity in Bandera County that runs on LCRA’s OpenSky system is Bandera Electric. They transitioned to that system from their old VHF system at least 11 years ago. Maybe a little longer.

KI5NGG

Appreciate the quick feedback. I think I’ll probably take the plunge and give it a shot. Heck, just money right? I kinda love new gadgets anyway…

KI5NGG

Now the question is just which one… BCD436 maybe? Programming doesn’t look to bad.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Now the question is just which one… BCD436 maybe? Programming doesn’t look to bad.
That will easily cover what is in your area now, as well as being capable of handling P25 Phase II in the event that your county, or one of your neighboring counties of interest transitioned to GATRRS, or LCRA's P25 Phase II, which is replacing the remaining Open Sky sites.

As the 436HP is a database scanner, it's much more flexible to program, and if traveling, if you want to take the scanner along, then add a GPS & let it handle systems along your path.

If you want to do a 'test drive" (on programming), download & install Sentinel. You can do that even before you get the scanner. Links are on this Wiki page. Sentinel (Uniden software) - The RadioReference Wiki
Sentinel is free to download & use. There is an 'Easier to Read' online 'manual' for both Sentinel, as well as the 436HP.

Since you are a Premium Subscriber, if you want to purchase software such as ProScan or ARC536, then you can import exactly what you want. I prefer ProScan since it covers multiple models of new, as well as older, Uniden scanners.

KI5NGG

Awesome info. Thank you. I’m trying to compare radios and was also looking at the SDS100. We do a fair amount f traveling and thought the GPS feature would be nice, but didn’t know that could be done with the 486.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Awesome info. Thank you. I’m trying to compare radios and was also looking at the SDS100. We do a fair amount f traveling and thought the GPS feature would be nice, but didn’t know that could be done with the 486.
You're better off going straight to a Uniden SDS 100 or SDS 200. While cheaper models might work, there's a good chance they'll just cause frustration, and wasted time and effort. Many of the new P25 trunked systems are simulcast, and only those two scanners really work well on them.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I live in Boerne and pass through Bandera pretty often. There are a few analog county fire and EMS repeaters scattered around, and Bandera PD and constables are analog on 155.610 still. The SO is P25 on 155.610 and the Tarpley repeater and I believe mostly encrypted. Im not sure why, people have their opinions on the politics involved, but you will nevertheless be able to pick up all emergencies in the county still. It’s topographically a challenge to actually hear all the repeaters from one spot without your own tower, but depending on where you are, say in Bandera, you can get everything that isn’t Utopia and Vanderpool.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
You're better off going straight to a Uniden SDS 100 or SDS 200. While cheaper models might work, there's a good chance they'll just cause frustration, and wasted time and effort. Many of the new P25 trunked systems are simulcast, and only those two scanners really work well on them.
There is about $150 dollar difference between the 436 and the SDS-100 (About a month of Raman noodles and cheap chili) but well worth the extra investment considering the too fast changes in radio technology. The SDS is designed to be updated with newer software options/upgrades that the x36 modes don't support. Either scanner is an investment but IMO the SDS is the way of the future for now.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
There is about $150 dollar difference between the 436 and the SDS-100 (About a month of Raman noodles and cheap chili) but well worth the extra investment considering the too fast changes in radio technology. The SDS is designed to be updated with newer software options/upgrades that the x36 modes don't support. Either scanner is an investment but IMO the SDS is the way of the future for now.
I’ll second this because of the battery options, being able to quickly swap the battery is a big plus. It’s also a much more sturdy scanner. That’s besides the obvious technological upgrades.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The GPS feature works the same on the BCD436HP as the SDS100.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The actual purchase price is about a $200 difference. What newer software options/upgrades does the SDS series have over the X36 models?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I’ll second this because of the battery options, being able to quickly swap the battery is a big plus. It’s also a much more sturdy scanner. That’s besides the obvious technological upgrades.
What battery options does the SDS100 have? The scanner that has battery options is clearly the BCD436HP, and you don't need to charge them or have charging resources nearby.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
What battery options does the SDS100 have? The scanner that has battery options is clearly the BCD436HP, and you don't need to charge them or have charging resources nearby.
EBC100 battery charger with the extra battery. Just snap the back open, swap batteries, snap back closed. Charge depleted battery. You don’t have to mess with a charging cable if mobile or keep extra rechargeable or alkaline batteries on hand either. I have both the 100 and the 436, and though the 436 fits into my vehicle accessory holder better and thereby stays “mounted” most of the time with the power cable plugged in, the SDS100 is very mobile and rugged.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
EBC100 battery charger with the extra battery. Just snap the back open, swap batteries, snap back closed. Charge depleted battery. You don’t have to mess with a charging cable if mobile or keep extra rechargeable or alkaline batteries on hand either. I have both the 100 and the 436, and though the 436 fits into my vehicle accessory holder better and thereby stays “mounted” most of the time with the power cable plugged in, the SDS100 is very mobile and rugged.
I guess my point it if you're on your own, you and your scanner, not home with power and no access to a vehicle for charging and your batteries go dead, what are your options at that point? In a true SHTF scenario that could be very possible.

You're the first person ever that described the SDS100 as being rugged.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I guess my point it if you're on your own, you and your scanner, not home with power and no access to a vehicle for charging and your batteries go dead, what are your options at that point? In a true SHTF scenario that could be very possible.

You're the first person ever that described the SDS100 as being rugged.
In that situation a prepper would prefer to be able to use batteries from a stash, so if this is your driving factor, the 436 would be the way to go. As to rugged, read up a little bit on the waterproof specs for the SDS100. And the screen is a little better protected as well by the construction of the unit.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Well, you'd need quite few a AA batteries unless you have access to an external charge (which is the best way to effectively charge the batteries).

The SDS100 may use a "proprietary" battery, but if you purchase at least one extra, it will hold you for multiple hours. Also, the SDS100 can be set to operate, as well as charge the battery, at the same time (providing, of course, you have a power supply with sufficient output). That will keep it 'topped off' when you do have power available.

For the 436HP, you cannot charge the batteries while operating, so once the installed set, craps out, you'll have to replace it with another set, hopefully fully charged. (You do, of course, have the option of using standard alkaline batteries in a pinch, but that gets expensive if used all the time.

For either of these scanners, and any others that operate off a 5v USB connection, I find my best backup power source is one of the high capacity power bricks, like used to charge phones and tablets. I have several high capacity ones, that can operate the scanner for considerably longer than a single day.