scanner issues in my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

engine3

Premium Subscriber
ok guys heres my problem...

i put a an older RS pro-2026 in my truck, used the RS mag mount and
whe the scanner was on it wouldnt lock onto a freq, it would stop when it heard something
but wouldnt stay locked on it...i swithed to a larsen tri-band thinking the antenna wasnt picking
up the signal strong enough to keep it locked on, same issue

so then i put my RS 164 in the truck to try it...same problems, but yet when i,m sitting
still...reception is awesome, any ideas ?????

SCPD

QRT
possibly Bad coax somewhere in the line, or bad power connection.. Grounding issues?. Just afew quick thoughts here. Also main thing check the BNC on the scanner to make its tight & look inside the radio at the power jack & the antenna , make sure nothing is loose

Last edited:

engine3

Premium Subscriber
i thought about the grounding issue with the pro-2026
but with the handheld in there i just use the radios batteries for power

engine3

Premium Subscriber
thats what i was kinda thinking to as far as its the truck itself

i'll try moving it around and see if that makes any differance

thanks for the help guys !!

engine3

Premium Subscriber
when i,m not moving it dosent make a differance if its running or not

the reception is just as good running or not

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Have you set a scan delay? Flutter and momentary loss of signal called "picket fencing" is common while in motion, if no delay is set the scanner moves on at the moment when signal is lost.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Could you possibly have a bad plug wire? I remember back from old CB days that often times ignition noise would defeat the radio. Plug wires were notorios for causing this. Also back then there were ignition noise suppressors that you installed on the plugs.

Another thing to try is setting the scanner up on the outside of the truck and give it a whirl. I do think as one person noted you might have a coax problem.

Good luck

engine3

Premium Subscriber
no, i dont have a delay set...i,m gonna give that a try later today

also, i was thinking along the lines of maybe a bad plug or plug wire

think what i'll do is swap the radio to my g/f's truck and see if i get the same issues

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Never mind the ignition system, if that were the case you'd hear a loud popping noise increasing in frequency with engine RPM. We've already pretty much discounted everything but scan delay so one disaster at a time. Let us know how that works out and we can take it from there, I hope.

"Plug wires were notorious for causing this."
I don't see how you could draw such a conclusion, a CB is not a scanner and his problem is obviously (at least to me) unrelated to any sort of interference but rather signal drop out.

I don't wish to sound derogatory but unfortunately most arm chair diagnosticians here are guessing and completely off target as usual. It seems to take an unreasonably long discussion of "try this and try that" until finally after several pages someone hits on the actual problem and always someone who has experienced the problem. No, I'm not a know-it-all as some have labeled me but I would imagine 40 odd years of practical experience counts for something.

hoser147

Yep I gotta think that Warrens on the right track, haven't heard of or seen any plug wire problems in a long time, since electronic ignition came out but its still possible. How did it work out with moving it over to GFs truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.