scanner laws in cape breton, nova scotia

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcd396t

hello there all im just wondering if anyone might know what the rules & regulations of having a scanner with you while driving in a vehicle i was told by a fello officer RCMP (*******) that if he pulls me over an finds my scanner that he is going to seize it, now im in ingonish cape breton where the law does what it feels like ,im just wondering if there is any way they can do that? i really dont want to loose such a handy little $500+ bcd396t radio. thanks.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
To the best of my knowledge the only place in Canada where mobile scanners are prohibited is Manitoba. I would still be sure not to flaunt it if ever pulled over, would likely just turn it off while the officer was near my car.

ve1sef

No restrictions that I'm aware of. However there is the "cell phone" law here in Nova Scotia and
perhaps that's the source of confusion. It is an electronic device, thus, if it's distracting you
while your driving the constable might have a case. But, that would be grasping at straws.
Seems to me, as long as your not drawing attention to yourself(i.e.;showing up on scene)
or using it for criminal actvities you should be okay.

Last edited:

CBFD

Radio Communications Act is How he can take it...

Unless you're a ham radio operator and only scanning ham bands or have a licence from Industry canada which I doubt... then he cant touch it...

Digitals scanners have restrictions Section 4 of the Radiocommunications Act and RSS-135 is where the law stands on it.

Jammin_Jay

I would say if u are in a furtherance of committing a crime, or have illegal intentions... which of course he would have to prove, he would have no justifiable right to take your scanner. He's probably thinking... why do u need a scanner in your car, whats the purpose... other than illegal activity. But there are such people as good citizen scanner hobby which are never really recognized.

Status
Not open for further replies.