Scanner Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakesh_online

Hi

Could anybody pls tell me what are the laws are regulations regarding use of Scanners such as Radio shack Pro-97 in residential and mobile use.
Do someone need any license before using this type of scanner.

-lakesh

jeffrey420

The laws vary from state to state, county to county, and city to city. The best thing would be to check with your local police department. They should be able to give you information regarding do's and don'ts. You could also start a thread in your home state area on RR.

D

DaveNF2G

I recommend against asking the police. If they believe something should not be done, then they are likely to tell you that it is illegal. They might be wrong.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
lakesh_online said:
Hi

Could anybody pls tell me what are the laws are regulations regarding use of Scanners such as Radio shack Pro-97 in residential and mobile use.
Do someone need any license before using this type of scanner.

-lakesh

Where do you live... if you will take a few weeks you can study for and successfully acquire your Tech Ham ticket which, in most instances will allow you to have your scanner with you....
There are a number of good locations on the web that will help you study and give you sample tests....

mclaren

in Scotland, the law is that you are not allowed to listen to any frequency you are not licenced for except public announcments. BUT we also have a law that states if you have a scanner, you are allowed to listen to transmitions that are for public saftey, and general transmitions.

Owning a scanner is not illegal nor is selling = its what you program in to them ..... but now, you cant listen to police atall due to all police going with tetra :(

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
mcema699 said:
Yes, the best place is your state forum because they know how the police enforce your state law locally. Here is a link that should help though. I copied from a q/a in the Indiana Forum.

http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/scanner5.html

I agree, that it is best to start a thread in your home state's forum, and peruse the link that mcema699 gave you. I really don't think I would approach the police about it. Many states have various exemptions based on being a licensed ham, part of the media, a state or local government employee, etc. The police often times don't know all the caveats in the law and may just as easily tell you NO across the board because it's easier for them.

Unit Charlie brings up a good point as well. Many states do provide for an exemption for a licensed ham operator. The Tech license isn't very difficult to obtain. However, should you go that route, I would carry a copy of your license with you in your vehicle, and it wouldn't hurt to have a copy of your home state's law, emphasizing the exemption that they provide ham operators (should that be the case).

OutPost

Scanners in vehicles

We address the issue of having a scanner in your vehicle and offer various solutions in-order to avoid conflicts when stopped. Visit: www.trafficalertusa.com 'FAQ's" Page.

It's not fail safe, but if you want to have a scanner in your vehicle, in those states where it is illegal, know the law and consider your options. And by all means...pull the cig lighter connection if stopped. You never want a trooper standing at your driver's side window listening to his dispatcher from YOUR scanner, unless you are part of a public service organization, etc. It's like bringing your girlfriend home to meet your wife!

At the same time though, don't be intimidated by a law enforcement officer that wants to confiscate your radio if YOU know you are legal. Request his/her supervisor to respond. If all else fails, go to court and get your radio back.

There are law enforcement types out there that don't actually know what the law states about scanners, to include the laws about fire personnel and red/clear emergency lights and where they can and can't be located on your vehicle. They WILL stop you to confirm and/or annoy you, but most don't really bother those with antennas all over their vehicle, unless you are sitting behind a business after hours.

For instance...bail agents staking-out a fugitive's home often listen to their scanner to see if a neighbor has tagged them, but the law also states that bail agents are suppose to notify the locals for that very same reason. Generally, if you don't have a very good reason to have a scanner in your vehicle, then you better be in those states where it is legal, but at the same time, you will have to convince the trooper you just love scanning their frequencies, for the heck of it and hope you are not parked somewhere that is suspicious.

Again...we try to address the issues, and you will find the website very interesting....as I have been told.

Thanks,
Dave

n4voxgill

Silent Key
The worst thing you can do is to lean over and do anything. The officer is watching you very closely to see if you do something like that. It raises suspicion of two things:
1. Your hiding your dope
2. Your either hiding or getting a firearm
this means the officer first reaction is to be prepared to shoot for self protection and then the need to find a reason to search you and the car.

lakesh_online

Web resourses for Ham radio license

Hi

Could any one let me know the Websites where i can find information
on HowTo getting Ham radio license. Like syllabus, sample tests, eligibility.

thanks
lakesh

Status
Not open for further replies.