Scanner LCD Malfunctioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetechman

Hello, I have a BC125AT that I purchased from Amazon a year ago. Unfortunately, in August of 2019 the scanner got in water for 5 minutes, and I put it in rice for 24 hours, and it worked just fine. Issues started to happen around mid March 2020. The screen LCD is glitching everywhere, and I thought the adhesive holding the ribbon connector was not getting full contact with the scanner. I have done multiple hardware resets, tried to reseat the display cables, and nothing worked. I did possibly see a few marks of corrosion on the main processor on the other side of where the key caps are. I am frustrated that I have only owned this scanner functioning properly for roughly a year. I may have to purchase another one due to the warranty possibly being expired already, and I can't send it in for repair because of the expired warranty. Are there any replacement parts for this unit, and what can I do to fix this issue?

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Water damage immediately voids ANY electronics warranty, so you would not have been able to send it in anyway.

First, what kind of water? I am assuming fresh, because salt water would generally kill the device very quickly. Rice will not help. But, even fresh water, depending on how many electrolytes were in it, will eventually kill the device. Which you now know.

I seriously doubt your device is salvageable. However, Uniden flat rate repair is fairly generous in some cases, and may be an option, other than replacing it.

thetechman

The device got in river water for 5 minutes, and we dried the device with a hair dryer, making sure there were no residual marks of the water. I understand water voids the warranty right off the bat, but you think I can send it to them and they can repair it? How much do you think it is for the device to become repaired? How long will the device be there especially during the COVID-19 stages?

Arkmood

what can I do to fix this issue?

Another option:
Corrosion develops over time and this most likely is problem, (tough to diagnose w/o image) use qtip very carefully dab with alcohol to remove corrosion, dry (see above). Could be more internal/unseen corrosion/damage..

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
I agree with alcohol to remove the corrosion. Corrosion can create leakage paths between the traces on the circuit board and that can cause a multitude of problems.

thetechman

Here are photos of the board, mainly CPU. Tell me if the photos below show any sign of corrosion.

thetechman

Just applied Alcohol to the CPU and other areas that were corroded, put it all back together, and the LCD is back to normal. Corrosion is causing the issue. Problem solved.

thetechman

Thanks to everyone who helped! Really appreciate it! I have had the scanner on the WX Radio and no issues so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.