Scanner license in Ontario needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDTbolt10033

Premium Subscriber
I did research on some stuff and come across a thread talking about digital scanner license in Ontario to use a digital scanner. Can anyone clear it up and tell me if this is still required or not?
Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

gary123

The scanner licence was a trial balloon that was considered to generate revenue and potentially track scanner users. It was deemed a logistical impossibility due to the number of sources for new scanners and scanning (SDRs etc) equipment. Not to mention existing scanners. Also differentiating between open freq services (CB, Marine, Ham etc) and desired closed services (police, fire, EMS, MOE,MNR etc etc etc) for enforcement.

I even heard (rumor and not necessarily true or accurate) that even knowing the freq for certain services would be "a violation" of licence. No one could figure out how to see if 155.400 was in your head or not :( .

VA3JPX

Back about 20 years ago when APCO-P25 was gaining popularity, there was a requirement that you have a HAM License to purchase scanners that were capable of scanning that mode. Now it doesn't matter.... unless you are dealing with an anal seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.