Scanner makes noise while turned off!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys it works perfect, no noise at all. So yeah, it was the built in power...so happy it was not the scanner.
Thank you very much for your help, you are great.

Hopefully this thread will help somebody else if they encounter the same problem.

Mike

Cool! Now the next step for the electronics tinkerer would be to open the radio and find the part that's making noise. Since there is 110VAC inside this should be done with proper precautions to not get shocked. Transformers are classic parts for vibration noise but it could be something else.

Anyway, now you know.

Cool! Now the next step for the electronics tinkerer would be to open the radio and find the part that's making noise. Since there is 110VAC inside this should be done with proper precautions to not get shocked. Transformers are classic parts for vibration noise but it could be something else.

Anyway, now you know.
You are right, that's the next step for me. I will see what I can do about it.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Hum

PS:actually I find the noise annoying now(off or on, it does not matter), and I am wondering why i did not notice it before. I was playing with antennas yesterday, but I also played with some antennas on my PRO-164 and it is working fine.[/QUOTE]

I had a BEARCAT scanner that had a HUM like that. It had a built-in power supply and it was the transformer. I tried tightening the mounts and all kinds of things but it just kept coming back. Have you considered not using the built in power and running it on 12 v? Had many problems with scanners over the years..Try a BEARCAT that over time lost it's programming. lol Was the 1st BEARCAT that they got rid of the 9v battery for memory and it would over time lose programming and you'd notice "Hey, why am I not hearing anything on the scanner?" Uniden never could fix that scanner, I gave it away! But I digress Good luck and tey a 12v power supply assuning that scanner can go mobile.

eaf1956

Since the noise is likely a mechanical vibration, a classic fix is to "goop" the part in some non-conductive material that looks like RTV (but isn't).

That would do it? That's sounds easy. What type of material are you referring to? Something that looks like RTV but isn't, for example?

Thanks

PS:actually I find the noise annoying now(off or on, it does not matter), and I am wondering why i did not notice it before. I was playing with antennas yesterday, but I also played with some antennas on my PRO-164 and it is working fine.

I had a BEARCAT scanner that had a HUM like that. It had a built-in power supply and it was the transformer. I tried tightening the mounts and all kinds of things but it just kept coming back. Have you considered not using the built in power and running it on 12 v? Had many problems with scanners over the years..Try a BEARCAT that over time lost it's programming. lol Was the 1st BEARCAT that they got rid of the 9v battery for memory and it would over time lose programming and you'd notice "Hey, why am I not hearing anything on the scanner?" Uniden never could fix that scanner, I gave it away! But I digress Good luck and tey a 12v power supply assuning that scanner can go mobile.

eaf1956[/QUOTE]

Hi eaf1056. thank you for your input. Yeah! That's what I did, I ended up using an adapter and it works great now. Now we are actually discussing how to fix the built in transformer...kind of.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.