Scanner making dispatch sound distorted

benny919

Premium Subscriber
My BCD325p2 makes this one specifc fire auto dispatch channel sound really distorted and loud. Best way I can describe it is like those bass boosted videos on Youtube. It is only this system. Their tac channels sound fine. My friend has a Whistler TRX-1 and it came in perfectly clear. However on an SDS100 it also sounds distorted. Is there any fix for this? For anyone wondering the system is NTECC on Metrocrest Quad Cities Radio System

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
However on an SDS100 it also sounds distorted. Is there any fix for this?
Watching as my SDS200 started something similar. Dept bangs out the tones, and it plays the A tone for a half second, then silence until the B tone starts, then the same thing. All other depts work perfect. Sound perfect on the 436 at the same time. It records fine in @ProScan so Proscan may get the audio prior the speaker..

fredva

Feed Provider
Watching as my SDS200 started something similar. Dept bangs out the tones, and it plays the A tone for a half second, then silence until the B tone starts, then the same thing. All other depts work perfect. Sound perfect on the 436 at the same time. It records fine in @ProScan so Proscan may get the audio prior the speaker..

Is that a conventional frequency with a PL tone applied to the programming? The symptom you describe sounds similar to a PL tone filtering out the pager tones.

mciupa

For the original poster with the BCD325P2

You also have a Volume Offset selection in your Settings menu. It is 0 (zero) by default

Too loud? Select -1,-2 or -3
Too soft? +1,+2 or +3

I generally use the + to help me hear things clearer.

fredva

Feed Provider
Is there a fix for that other than removing the pl tone?
Not that I know of. But if you remove the pl tone temporarily, that could confirm or rule out that is the issue. I know that on a scanner I use to monitor conventional fire and EMS frequencies, certain pager tones will get muted because of the pl tone filter. I guess the scanner treats the transmission as one that doesn't have the proper pl tone.

tvengr

Well Known Member
You also have a Volume Offset selection in your Settings menu. It is 0 (zero) by default
Each conventional frequency and trunked talkgroup has its own volume offset setting. If it's only one frequency or talkgroup, you can reduce the audio level on that one only.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I know that on a scanner I use to monitor conventional fire and EMS frequencies, certain pager tones will get muted because of the pl tone filter. I guess the scanner treats the transmission as one that doesn't have the proper pl tone.
So without the tone, the tone out plays all the way thru. Sounds like crap, compared to any other depts tones. Only issue I have is NYPD uses the same freq. Maybe just leave to tone and deal with disruptive audio. Or maybe someday Uniden might actually address the issue,