Scanner on Princess Cruise Lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Prohibited items include “ham radios”, no mention of scanners.

Going on a Princess Cruise to Alaska in August and want to take my SDS100. Looking for feedback, positive or negative.

I’ll be using ear buds and a miracle duck antenna so as to not attract attention, scanner on my belt with shirt tail over it.

Google tells me the Ruby Princess has a 457/467 mototrbo repeater so should be ok for that. Anything else to listen for other than marine vhf?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Not sure about Princess Cruise Lines, but I have taken scanners and ham radios (quad band HT) on quite a few cruises (always Carnival) and never had a problem. So many people on there with hundreds of different FRS/GMRS/MURS radios that they don't waste time inspecting them. I am leaving 2 weeks from today on Carnival Magic and have my TRX-1 loaded with fresh scan lists for the ship and all the ports. We will also have RETC 15s for onboard coms with family members. I always take scanners and we always have a blast! Bon Voyage! I am more than ready

JD
kf4anc

ecps92

My experience has varied on RCCL and Celebrity [Same Parent] where:
a. One Confiscated my radios at Check-in [got them back upon return to port - thankfully same port]
b. Had Security Interview me, until I proved they did not transmit
c. No problems what-so ever

So YMMV, lately I've found pack a portable in with the laptop and headphones and no problems

Not sure about Princess Cruise Lines, but I have taken scanners and ham radios (quad band HT) on quite a few cruises (always Carnival) and never had a problem. So many people on there with hundreds of different FRS/GMRS/MURS radios that they don't waste time inspecting them. I am leaving 2 weeks from today on Carnival Magic and have my TRX-1 loaded with fresh scan lists for the ship and all the ports. We will also have RETC 15s for onboard coms with family members. I always take scanners and we always have a blast! Bon Voyage! I am more than ready

JD
kf4anc

ecps92

Hopefully Mr Google sent you to
ScanMaritime.com :)

Going on a Princess Cruise to Alaska in August and want to take my SDS100. Looking for feedback, positive or negative.

I’ll be using ear buds and a miracle duck antenna so as to not attract attention, scanner on my belt with shirt tail over it.

Google tells me the Ruby Princess has a 457/467 mototrbo repeater so should be ok for that. Anything else to listen for other than marine vhf?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Thanks in advance,
Nick
Took the wife on a Alaskan tour on princess for her 50th birthday. Best vacation ever. Do NOT turn on your cell phone while on the ship. Even close to ship at port. I figured being so close to land while floating up from Vancouver would catch Canadian towers. Nope. Went through the ships satellite systems. Wife and I each had a $700 dollar cell phone bill. Thank god sprint screwed up when I added Canada and ate the charges. Hope your taking the land tour up to Mt McKinley. Anyways, just contact cruise line and see if they will approve it. Get it in writing too. Have fun.
Descriptio

Last edited:

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Just let it run, in the cabin

I don't think that serves any purpose, at least for me. Not keen to leave a computer and SDR just laying around the cabin when not there. For the cost of the cruise I don't expect to spend much time there other than sleeping.

w0kie

I’m bringing my Connect Systems CS580 talkie with me on an upcoming Princess cruise. It has proven to be quite worthy of auto-detecting and reporting color group, slot and talk group. If any of you can contribute what you have found please post.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
From Princess Cruises list of prohibited electronic items:

Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), Ham radios, transformers, lasers, laser pointers, electric extension cords with surge protectors*

Is your scanner a ham radio - no. Can you explain that to a crew member - maybe.

Also remember that the majority of cruise ships do not fly the US flag. Therefore, you are subject to the rules and regulations of whatever country in which the ship is registered.

Last comment: You are paying big bucks for an Alaska cruise through unbelievably spectacular scenery. Take a camera, get out on deck and enjoy. Don't waste time playing with your scanner.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Last comment: You are paying big bucks for an Alaska cruise through unbelievably spectacular scenery. Take a camera, get out on deck and enjoy. Don't waste time playing with your scanner.
Right here. Leave the scanner at home. When i took the wife, there wasn't much time to sleep!

TassieJay

My experience on Celebrity: took a SDR dongle with an OTG adapter to use it with SDR touch on the cell phone, which I only ever used while on the balcony, mostly with headphones.
Left the SDR dongle in cabin one day while on shore excursion, came back to find the SDR dongle pulled apart and it's parts neatly laid out in a line on the bedside. Implied message was clear: we know what you're doing, we don't like it, please stop.

Ubbe

I would more think that the cleaning lady needed to move it and it slide apart and she didn't want to put it together again as she might damage it. If some security officer where alerted to come to the cabin and inspect your terrorist equipment he probably would have left a note and/or confiscated the SDR and waiting for an explanation what it is used for in your terrorist activities.

/Ubbe

TassieJay

Most definitely not... the device was intentionally disassembled, including removing the potting inside the clamshell case. Not something that could be done 'by accident'.

ecps92

You would have gotten an invite down to security if there was an issue, as others indicate.
And security would have confiscated it. Wondering if the Maid thought it was a Camera and panicked

I would have reported this to Security myself as intentional damage to my property

My experience on Celebrity: took a SDR dongle with an OTG adapter to use it with SDR touch on the cell phone, which I only ever used while on the balcony, mostly with headphones.
Left the SDR dongle in cabin one day while on shore excursion, came back to find the SDR dongle pulled apart and it's parts neatly laid out in a line on the bedside. Implied message was clear: we know what you're doing, we don't like it, please stop.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Back from Alaska, what a cruise. Took the Whistler TRX1 preprogrammed for shipboard DMR repeaters, VHF Marine and each of the Alaskan cities, Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. Departure from Seattle was interesting on VHF marine. Shipboard monitoring of the DMR systems was boring and most conversations were in poor English or Tagalog. Best monitoring was VHF marine when near land or ports, especially Thursday night when we were fogged in, foghorn sounding every 15 minutes. Ruby Princess was communicating with ships in the vicinity. Saw lots of other guests with handheld radios, most likely FRS or GMRS. Security just ignored my TRX1 when it went through the scanner several times, no questions asked. When in port in Skagway we were near other cruise ships and I saw an NXDN signal pop up from Holland America on one of the Princess DMR frequencies.

All in all, I'm glad I took the Whistler. It didn't consume a lot of vacation time but was interesting to listen to at times. Wife likes to listen at times also which is much appreciated. While at sea I was wishing for the R30 to listen to shortwave. If only Icom would add DMR they would make a lot of people happy.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
I find my HP1/2 great for leaving to search while having fun then checking the recordings at night and building a favorites list during the week...over an adult beverage at night.

Lots of cruises and Caribbean travel it hardly get's a glance when I pack it in with our kids games and tablets.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Back from Alaska, what a cruise. Took the Whistler TRX1 preprogrammed for shipboard DMR repeaters, VHF Marine and each of the Alaskan cities, Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. Departure from Seattle was interesting on VHF marine. Shipboard monitoring of the DMR systems was boring and most conversations were in poor English or Tagalog. Best monitoring was VHF marine when near land or ports, especially Thursday night when we were fogged in, foghorn sounding every 15 minutes. Ruby Princess was communicating with ships in the vicinity. Saw lots of other guests with handheld radios, most likely FRS or GMRS. Security just ignored my TRX1 when it went through the scanner several times, no questions asked. When in port in Skagway we were near other cruise ships and I saw an NXDN signal pop up from Holland America on one of the Princess DMR frequencies.

All in all, I'm glad I took the Whistler. It didn't consume a lot of vacation time but was interesting to listen to at times. Wife likes to listen at times also which is much appreciated. While at sea I was wishing for the R30 to listen to shortwave. If only Icom would add DMR they would make a lot of people happy.
Would do another Alaskan cruise in a heart beat. Had a blast. Will be bringing my R30 when we go again. If you have not yet contacted Icom in reference to DMR, please voice your opinion on it. The more we get folks to nag at them, the better chance it could happen. I told them I would pay for the upgrade if they provide it like Uniden does.

Status
Not open for further replies.