Scanner on Princess Cruise Lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
As we all know, that is a licensing matter. What Icom would have to pay, as opposed to what they would have to charge the consumer, all depends on the dollar sign and if they can make a feasible profit from it. Doubt if that will happen, or it probably would have by now. There might be much more to it than we know, of course. But it usually boils down to the almighty dollar sign, not necessarily what the consumer wants or thinks they need.

JD
kf4anc

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
As we all know, that is a licensing matter. What Icom would have to pay, as opposed to what they would have to charge the consumer, all depends on the dollar sign and if they can make a feasible profit from it. Doubt if that will happen, or it probably would have by now. There might be much more to it than we know, of course. But it usually boils down to the almighty dollar sign, not necessarily what the consumer wants or thinks they need.

JD
kf4anc

Icom have made their position quite clear, with emphasis. It is a subject they refuse to discuss. When a business can walk away from the Euro market for R30 and 8600 then you know there is no option open for discussion. I find that a very strange position when sales $ can be ignored.

Bob1955

Prohibited items include “ham radios”, no mention of scanners.

Going on a Princess Cruise to Alaska in August and want to take my SDS100. Looking for feedback, positive or negative.

I’ll be using ear buds and a miracle duck antenna so as to not attract attention, scanner on my belt with shirt tail over it.

Google tells me the Ruby Princess has a 457/467 mototrbo repeater so should be ok for that. Anything else to listen for other than marine vhf?

Thanks in advance,

Nick
Why don't you just enjoy your cruise without a scanner? You're paying a lot of money so to walk around with a goofy handheld radio would make you look like security

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
The only time I had to play radio on any cruise was either at the dinner table (rude) or sunning on a beach or late at night in the cabin. Usually too distracted, way too tired, or having too much fun to tweak any knobs. Just now and then and not too productive.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you just enjoy your cruise without a scanner? You're paying a lot of money so to walk around with a goofy handheld radio would make you look like security
Because I can enjoy the cruise with a scanner! I don’t walk around with a goofy handheld, usually under a t-shirt with Apple ear buds so it’s not obvious to the public. Didn’t use it on excursions unless we were walking in a town where I could listen to public service. One day of ship comms proved boring/useless. VHF marine was worth taking the scanner, especially in the inside passage in a fog bank. Do all things in moderation and enjoy the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.